Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 02:43 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
2017 PIEDMONT SPRING PLANT & FLOWER FESTIVAL - Greenville State Farmers Market, 1354 Rutherford Road, Greenville, SC

5/4/2017 - 5/7/2017 | Thursday – Saturday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm - Sunday 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

We usually go to this and then hit the Asheville Herb Festival, which is always the same day.
Hey, thanks for the reminder! My wife asked me a couple days ago about the Festival at the Farmer Market. We usually pick up a couple hanging baskets for our mothers for Mother Day while we are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
I was there today, quite busy there, actually.

Their veggie plants are $1.25, not bad for singles. Country Boys $1.29. I still like Piedmont Farm and Garden, they're more money, $2.50, but the selection is the best that I've found at any local nursery. I want tomatoes you usually can't find elsewhere, and I love trying new varieties.

I'm cutting back this year by almost half of the tomatoes I had last year. Last year bummed me out, and really, I don't need to grow THAT many. My goal is to keep it between 20-25 tomato plants. It's going to be REALLY hard!

Got my cucumber seeds in today and 2 Diva cuke plants. Great little cucumber!

Got 3 purchased pepper plants in as well. Pepper seeds go in tomorrow, followed by whatever other seeds I can get in before dark. About 2/3 of my tomato plants will probably be from seed.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:04 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
If you are interested in gardening with native plants, then you will want to check out the SC Native Plant Sosciety sale next Saturday, the 22nd, at Lake Conestee:Upstate - South Carolina Native Plant Society
My mother bought some plants there last year and they were honestly pretty expensive for the quality of plants she received. One of the Oakleaf hydrangeas died and we had to really nurse the other 2 along all summer to get them to survive.

I normally go to the Clemson sale, which has a wide range of plants, many at really good prices. I missed the initial sale this year. Not sure if I'll go to the make up sale or not - I would imagine a lot of the desireable plants have already sold out. They often have newer varieties of perennials that won't be available at local retail places for another year or two. They also do a fall sale (and that is really a better time to plant perennials anyway).

The Upstate Permaculture group on Facebook has a plant swap in Travelers Rest in a couple of weeks. I haven't been before so I don't know if it is mainly vegetables or if it has a mix of annuals and perennials as well.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,726 times
Thanks for letting me know, WhitewaterVol. Beechwood Farms has veggie plants for sale at very reasonable prices.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
My mother bought some plants there last year and they were honestly pretty expensive for the quality of plants she received. One of the Oakleaf hydrangeas died and we had to really nurse the other 2 along all summer to get them to survive.

I normally go to the Clemson sale, which has a wide range of plants, many at really good prices. I missed the initial sale this year. Not sure if I'll go to the make up sale or not - I would imagine a lot of the desireable plants have already sold out. They often have newer varieties of perennials that won't be available at local retail places for another year or two. They also do a fall sale (and that is really a better time to plant perennials anyway).

The Upstate Permaculture group on Facebook has a plant swap in Travelers Rest in a couple of weeks. I haven't been before so I don't know if it is mainly vegetables or if it has a mix of annuals and perennials as well.
I'm interested in the Upstate plant swap. I haven't gone to a swap in years. I don't do FB and wonder if there's any other way to find info on this, and if it's only open to members, or to everyone.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'm interested in the Upstate plant swap. I haven't gone to a swap in years. I don't do FB and wonder if there's any other way to find info on this, and if it's only open to members, or to everyone.
It's listed as Sunday May 7 at 4-6 PM. Location is Swamp Rabbit Cafe and Grocery. 205 Cedar Lane Rd, Greenville, SC.

It sounds like it's open to whoever shows up. My yard is all shade so I'm lucky to find a spot for a couple of tomato plants. I'm hoping it's not all vegetables but it's worth a drive over there to find out.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
It's listed as Sunday May 7 at 4-6 PM. Location is Swamp Rabbit Cafe and Grocery. 205 Cedar Lane Rd, Greenville, SC.

It sounds like it's open to whoever shows up. My yard is all shade so I'm lucky to find a spot for a couple of tomato plants. I'm hoping it's not all vegetables but it's worth a drive over there to find out.
Thanks for the info. Unusual time, IMHO, for a plant swap. I've never been there and wonder where at that Cafe this is suppose to be, where do you take your pots to swap?

I'm definitely interested but may be all plant(ed) out after the GVL plant show, and the Herb Festival. Will have to see. I definitely have some plants I could swap, but that means more plants to put in the ground too I need more plants like I need another hole in my head!

Old 04-20-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Unusual time, IMHO, for a plant swap. I've never been there and wonder where at that Cafe this is suppose to be, where do you take your pots to swap?

I'm definitely interested but may be all plant(ed) out after the GVL plant show, and the Herb Festival. Will have to see. I definitely have some plants I could swap, but that means more plants to put in the ground too I need more plants like I need another hole in my head!
I agree that the time is odd - most of the ones I have been to have been in the mid morning. I like the time, though, because it means I can do other things that day. I've never been to that location either - hopefully it isn't too hard to figure out where to go - just look for piles of random plants.

Does the plant show have perennials? A lot of similar shows I've been to are just vegetables and/or annuals. I have a shady yard so I'm normally looking for unusual shade perennials.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Does the plant show have perennials? A lot of similar shows I've been to are just vegetables and/or annuals. I have a shady yard so I'm normally looking for unusual shade perennials.
Yes! There definitely is a nice variety of perennials, and shade plants as well. There are people outside the building, and inside. There's usually a gal there that has native plants, many shade. Also, this one couple sells a lot of coral bells, hostas and other shade tolerant plants. It's definitely worth going to. If you want some unusual tomato plants, if Rodger's Heirloom Tomato's is there (I'll find out ahead of time, need to see if he's growing some tomatoes in particular) he has some of the most unusual tomatoes.

If you like tomatoes, he does a tomato tasting festival every year down in Little Mountain. We've been 3 years in a row. People takes their tomatoes for everyone to taste. It's a nice way to try new varities, see his garden, hear some music and have mater sandwiches. He also talks about how to save seed. We look forward to it every year, but not the heat that comes with going that time of year.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:06 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
TreesGreenville's Trees On Tap event is less than 2 weeks away and we couldn't be more excited to have a beer with you at Birds Fly South Ale Project!

We are so excited about our Exclusive Tree Sale that we will have at this year's event. All participants will have the opportunity to purchase some of the most rare native trees to South Carolina and at AMAZING prices!

Check out our list of trees that will be available at: http://www.treesgreenville.org/wp-co...-Sale_List.pdf

Also, don't forget to purchase your tickets at: TREES ON TAP - Trees Greenville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area