Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times

Advertisements

How did Asheville miss the designation for hipster-friendly? I think they issue you a beard, large dog, and a subaru upon establishing residence in Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:43 AM

308 posts, read 269,757 times
Making it onto lists from these websites is becoming pointless. Cities such as Kansas City and Honolulu considered "small"? Meatiest? Sudsiest? This list is about as useful as a screen door on a battleship.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:45 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
How did Asheville miss the designation for hipster-friendly? I think they issue you a beard, large dog, and a subaru upon establishing residence in Asheville.
I think they also give you a free tattoo, as long as it's etched on a location that's visible while wearing the requisite Polyvore, or bermuda shorts and vests.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:18 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Friend of mine and his family stayed in Asheville for a couple of nights to see the Biltmore House. I asked him what he thought of Asheville, and he said "Loads of hipsters and/or aging hippies sitting around drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon".

Ironically, no doubt.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I think they also give you a free tattoo, as long as it's etched on a location that's visible while wearing the requisite Polyvore, or bermuda shorts and vests.
True they issue those things upon arrival, but they also take away all your personal hygiene items.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja0428 View Post
Columbia is easily the biggest surprise here.
How much experience do you have with the cities on this list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
My only gripe is that our cities are still being called small. Yes they're not Atlanta or Charlotte big, but the big 3 is way ahead of cities like Rapid City, SD: metro 145,000. Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston metros are all over 700,000 people, and even city wise we all know Greenville is not a true quaint city of 60,000 people, not even close.

That list also had cities like Albuquerque, Honolulu, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City on it. I was just in Kansas City, it's a pretty cool city, but calling it "small" is definitely a joke. I mean forreal they have a million freeways, an NFL team, and a streetcar. Still good seeing the big 3 get exposure at least. They choose 3 very good photos.
For what it's worth, the list was produced by National Geographic and it's titled "The Best Cities in the United States" with the descriptor "Ratings reveal unexpected travel surprises in 30 smaller cities." Part of the methodology included sorting the cities into three groups based on their population: 40K-100K, 100K-200K, and 200K-600K. But I definitely agree with your point and there are other lists/studies/rankings which call genuine midsized cities small.

Also it's worth noting that in other parts of the country, particularly the Northeast and Midwest, the city tends to refer to the core municipality alone. I can understand that perspective as their cities are older and more established with more of a clear dividing line between the primary city and their suburbs. There are so many variables and metrics to consider when talking about a city's size, so I guess it's just easier to use municipal population. Using metro statistics can get tricky when talking about multinodal metros in particular.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:38 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How much experience do you have with the cities on this list?

For what it's worth, the list was produced by National Geographic and it's titled "The Best Cities in the United States" with the descriptor "Ratings reveal unexpected travel surprises in 30 smaller cities." Part of the methodology included sorting the cities into three groups based on their population: 40K-100K, 100K-200K, and 200K-600K. But I definitely agree with your point and there are other lists/studies/rankings which call genuine midsized cities small.
To be clear, the list posted on this thread was not created by national geographic. It was produced by a "branding adviser" that relied on instagram and yelp stats and mentions.

And... where are all these butchers, deli's and steakhouses that got Greenville on this list?

Old 05-08-2018, 02:48 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
To be clear, the list posted on this thread was not created by national geographic. It was produced by a "branding adviser" that relied on instagram and yelp stats and mentions.
Nat Geo partnered with that group to produce the list.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
And... where are all these butchers, deli's and steakhouses that got Greenville on this list?
It didn't seem any "meatier" than other areas I've visited or lived in when I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area