Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 04:41 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
No, sorry. Had a problem with someone a couple years ago. Got a little weird. Anything I would say directly, I’ll say on the board.
Fair enough.

On an earlier post you mentioned the name of a road in Greer, that points to a neighborhood that might interest me. I looked online, and it was hard to determine what the Greer/Spartanburg border was/is. Are there any landmark stores/restaurants that I should look for? I remember you mentioning the lake; is there anything else? What boundaries am I looking for/at?

Second, would you recommend all of Taylor, or do you recommend certain parts? If so, are there any landmark stores or restaurants?

(As for the Spartanburg section that you referenced, my oh my (!); the converse section is absolutely beautiful!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 04:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
From the main crossroads in Greer (Main Street and Pointsett Street), go north toward Wade Hampton Blvd (Route 29). Cross over and go over by Apalachee Lake. Some of the roads in that area are Country Club Road, Racing Road, East Gap etc.

There are several neighborhoods — our son is off American Legion Road — that are solidly blue collar but pretty well cared for as you described — mowing their own Lawns etc.

I don’t really know Taylors all that well but there are several areas over by the Eastside YMCA on Taylors Road. They may have a Greenville address — one was Del Norte Estates. Our grandson’s sitter was over there and it seemed like a nice, solid working-class neighborhood.

Yes, Converse is very pretty — all those beautiful trees! But you do pay a premium to be in there. I don’t recall what you said housing budget would be but that would also be helpful to have people point you in a certain direction.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:10 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
From the main crossroads in Greer (Main Street and Pointsett Street), go north toward Wade Hampton Blvd (Route 29). Cross over and go over by Apalachee Lake. Some of the roads in that area are Country Club Road, Racing Road, East Gap etc.

There are several neighborhoods — our son is off American Legion Road — that are solidly blue collar but pretty well cared for as you described — mowing their own Lawns etc.

I don’t really know Taylors all that well but there are several areas over by the Eastside YMCA on Taylors Road. They may have a Greenville address — one was Del Norte Estates. Our grandson’s sitter was over there and it seemed like a nice, solid working-class neighborhood.

Yes, Converse is very pretty — all those beautiful trees! But you do pay a premium to be in there. I don’t recall what you said housing budget would be but that would also be helpful to have people point you in a certain direction.
Thank you for your time! This should help me out a great deal, and it's appreciated .

As for Converse, I could find myself taking an afternoon drive, or stroll, through the area. The houses have such character.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:22 PM

141 posts, read 178,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Unfortunately, it's a big part of the reason I left Greenville even though I do like it. I moved to Asheville and it's like night and day. The people are much more friendly I found the people in Charleston and Raleigh friendly as well. Some things that were bothersome were letting a door slam in your face, not saying hi or even acknowledging you, hanging up the phone and not saying goodbye or have a nice day, tailgating your car and not letting you get over.

How uncanny! I tried to get my wife to move to Greenville from NC but we ended up moving to Dothan, AL (to be closer to the In-Laws) and that has been my experience down here to a tee! These are some of the most cliquish, rude, non-driving people I have ever seen in my life. Maybe it just gets worse as you get deeper in the south. People around W-S/ Greensboro/ HP area in NC were much friendlier (and amazingly enough they drove better....more aggressively but better) than this place.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
How uncanny! I tried to get my wife to move to Greenville from NC but we ended up moving to Dothan, AL (to be closer to the In-Laws) and that has been my experience down here to a tee! These are some of the most cliquish, rude, non-driving people I have ever seen in my life. Maybe it just gets worse as you get deeper in the south. People around W-S/ Greensboro/ HP area in NC were much friendlier (and amazingly enough they drove better....more aggressively but better) than this place.
I know this doesn't have to do with this post but my friend moved about an hour east of Atlanta and has told me she has experienced the same thing.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Dothan is pretty much the definition of the old-school good ol' boy South. Visiting there is almost like going back a few decades in a time machine. We lived in Albany, GA for a few years and it was very similar.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:36 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Dothan is pretty much the definition of the old-school good ol' boy South. Visiting there is almost like going back a few decades in a time machine. We lived in Albany, GA for a few years and it was very similar.
BTW, she lives in Covington.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:44 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,972 times
I found Boiling Springs SC to be extremely friendly which is more of an extension of Spartanburg. I found it friendlier than the Florida panhandle cities. Downtown Greenville was friendly but not super friendly as most are probably tourists.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:01 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Typically most people in downtown Greenville will be residents in Greenville and the Upstate. There are corporations in downtown and a lot of people living down there and many people out in the suburbs visit often. Clemson has their MBA program in a building on Main Street and students at Clemson, Furman and other local colleges come over sometimes too. Many people move to the Greenville area partly because they like the downtown.

I lived several cities including Charleston and two cities in the north and I have never noticed people being less friendly in Greenville compared to other places. I had always heard people in NYC are rude but that wasn't my experience when I lived near Manhattan.

I can't recall anybody slamming a door in my face in Greenville and other areas of the Upstate. I also haven't noticed more tailgaters here than other cities. I think drivers is larger cities like Atlanta tend to be more aggressive.

I know people from Boston, Chicago, cities in California and Texas, NY and NJ, Raleigh, Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, Phillipines, Vietnam, etc and they all seem to like living here.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-21-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 PM

132 posts, read 113,785 times
I find most people are very friendly down here. There are going to be rude people everywhere. What I have found on another forum for yankee transplants in the upstate is people that live here, but talk about how great it was where they came from. I just want to tell them to go back there then.

Another thing that I have found and it really irks me is: and I’m not talking about everyone, but have encountered this enough times and I’ve only been down here a few months- people that live in Greenville are all about how Greenville is the best. Spartanburg uh you shouldn’t live in Spartanburg. Then you get to Spartanburg and you get ugh the Westside is terrible. You shouldn’t live there.

I just don’t understand it. To me, it all depends on what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area