Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:13 PM

680 posts, read 535,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Thank you! We live in Michigan - and have all our lives so I'm quite tired of the long, cold, dreary winters.
I've lived in MI all my life too. I'm considering moving south, possibly Greenville. Can't take MI weather anymore, it's miserable. It's rare to see the sun, even in the summer sometimes. Doesn't really warm up here until June or July. MI is like a colder version of the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 11:08 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,409,249 times
Quote:
Thanks, we like most of those things (except maybe mountain biking...we're old! LOL) Cool walkable towns with interesting shops, restaurants. Hubby would like historic sites, I'm sure. Scenery, waterfalls etc would be nice. Hubby has a back problem so hiking would have to be easy. We'll probably visit Clemson for the college town vibe, may go to Asheville (though we've been to Biltmore and downtown).

Just didn't know if there were a couple obvious places that are often recommended for visitors to see. Thanks!
If you go over to Clemson, you might enjoy walking on the two dikes next to Lake Hartwell. There is usually a good breeze off the water and you can see the Blue Ridge on a clear day. It is a very relaxing place to walk or hang out and get some sun.

Here is a map of it. https://www.mapmyrun.com/us/clemson-...es-route-95755

You can access it from different parking lots. I usually park in the lot next to the rowing team's boathouse. There are some docks and a beach area next to the boathouse.

Another parking lot near the lake di-kes is next to the Esso Club sports bar. That is where most of the sports announcers go prior to games. It is in an old gas station building.

I recommend getting some ice cream at Clemson's on campus ice cream shop called '55 Exchange. https://www.clemson.edu/cafls/depart.../products.html

If you like history, you could check out the Fort Hill mansion which is located right up the hill from the football stadium. Clemson's campus is on a former plantation owned by John C Calhoun. https://www.clemson.edu/about/histor...ies/fort-hill/ The downtown area of nearby Pendleton is on the National Register of Historic Places.

If you head back up to the Asheville area, you could check out Chimney Rock which has an elevator. https://www.chimneyrockpark.com/

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-20-2019 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-22-2019, 04:34 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Quote:
Wondering what ideas you would have for us to do in and around the area (we'll have a car and can drive as needed) the last week of March. As an example, we will probably check out Clemson Univ area (son is Alabama grad!) and may drive to Asheville to visit our Best Man (30 years ago!) Any festivals in the area that time of year?

We currently live in Michigan.

Thank you!
I haven't read all replies in the thread yet, but wanted to share another (hopefully different) option during the last week in March. The Greenville Symphony Orchestra has a pops concert scheduled for March 29, which will highlight music from Motown. How funny would it be to travel from Michigan to South Carolina and enjoy a bit of the famous music from Michigan?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:20 AM

404 posts, read 381,201 times
What are the best nearby towns to spend a half a day walking through shops, restaurants, parks etc?

Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Quote:
What are the best nearby towns to spend a half a day walking through shops, restaurants, parks etc?
Highlands is a small town with a nice selection of shops. The drive to get there is fairly scenic and it is close the the waterfalls on the Cullasaja.

Travelers Rest has a small downtown and access to the Swamp Rabbit Trail. You might be hard pressed to spend half a day there but could combine it with a drive to Caesars Head, Table Rock, and/or Jones Gap.

Brevard has a nice small downtown area. It is also pretty small but you could combine it with a trip to Caesars Head and maybe the waterfalls in DuPont State Forest.

I also like Clemson's downtown area quite a bit and you can combine it with a walk through campus and the SC Botanical Garden.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Hendersonville, NC is another I don't know how far you are willing to travel but Black Mountain, NC is another option. They are both cool, walkable towns with restaurants, shops, park and more.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:52 PM

453 posts, read 647,248 times
I'll definitely second Hendersonville. Don't miss HenDough while you're up there, and the pinball museum is a whole lotta fun.

While I don't think it's quite as fun as Hendersonville, I've had a good time walking around downtown Newberry with my wife.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:40 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,872,975 times
Cashiers is a bit further away but very cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area