Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 03:10 AM

604 posts, read 583,310 times

Advertisements

We've decided to fully isolate now. I usually go to the Y 3 days a week, but decided that that is just plain dumb at this point. I can find ways to exercise at home. Church was about 50% yesterday, and I suspect it will soon be canceled. Hopefully, canceling everything will bring this to an end sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 04:10 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
We've decided to fully isolate now. I usually go to the Y 3 days a week, but decided that that is just plain dumb at this point. I can find ways to exercise at home. Church was about 50% yesterday, and I suspect it will soon be canceled. Hopefully, canceling everything will bring this to an end sooner.
And yet all of us still have to go to work.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:43 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Stock market going to tumble today. Australian market down almost 10%. Headed toward recession quickly. For the first time, I am concerned about the reactions of the public. It could get scary.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:08 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Stock market going to tumble today. Australian market down almost 10%. Headed toward recession quickly. For the first time, I am concerned about the reactions of the public. It could get scary.

Fear is scary. Whether it's your fear or others.

Recession is.. Unlikely, IMO.. And that's because of the definition of contraction across two consecutive quarters. I can't see this lasting that long and the underlying cause of things here is so different from anything that's been experienced before.

Not saying this won't be painful.. But I doubt it gets classified as a true recession.. I also think, once things settle down.. The rebound is fairly quick. I doubt we get back to previous levels quickly, but.. Dow 26/27000 should be within a month or two.

Just my guess..

Old 03-16-2020, 12:45 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Fear is scary. Whether it's your fear or others.

Recession is.. Unlikely, IMO.. And that's because of the definition of contraction across two consecutive quarters. I can't see this lasting that long and the underlying cause of things here is so different from anything that's been experienced before.

Not saying this won't be painful.. But I doubt it gets classified as a true recession.. I also think, once things settle down.. The rebound is fairly quick. I doubt we get back to previous levels quickly, but.. Dow 26/27000 should be within a month or two.

Just my guess..
There are a lot of hourly workers at restaurants, fast food places, etc. that are losing income. There are a lot of people in other industries that are also losing significant income. Unless some creative way is found to make them whole or close to it, the effect will ripple through the economy for a significant period of time. Larger companies may be able to continue paying employees for several weeks even though it will impact their bottom line. Smaller companies and companies that operate on thin margins like grocery and retail may not have that luxury.

Short of some creative moves from a government that is normally anything but creative, a recession is likely.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There are a lot of hourly workers at restaurants, fast food places, etc. that are losing income. There are a lot of people in other industries that are also losing significant income. Unless some creative way is found to make them whole or close to it, the effect will ripple through the economy for a significant period of time. Larger companies may be able to continue paying employees for several weeks even though it will impact their bottom line. Smaller companies and companies that operate on thin margins like grocery and retail may not have that luxury.

Short of some creative moves from a government that is normally anything but creative, a recession is likely.

Grocery stores aren't going to be closing. They're going to be making money hand over fist, most likely, pending on stock levels. That's going to be their biggest concern.

Fast food and restaurants will be problematic.. Word is the government is open to some form of 'bailout' for them.. Whether it's paying workers directly or reimbursing ownership to continue paying the workers..

The waste in some of this is a concern.. Like.. Take the MGM workers in Vegas. Most, if not all, furloughed. Gov't is allowing states emergency measures for them to collect unemployment. Some folks might wind up better off.. They're talking a $1000 payment per 'Merican.. Plus they get unemployement..

Smaller restaurants.. They're going to be hurt. Your mom and pop places. Bed and Breakfasts.. Small hotels. Manufacturing? Once they return.. They're apt to be running balls to the wall. Wouldn't surprise me for many of their workers to make up what they lost and then some in overtime. Housing.. Banks offer temporary hardship deferrals all the time. I see no reason that wouldn't continue. Those that rent.. They could have some issues.

The vast majority of things.. The money isn't lost.. It's just.. Delayed.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:41 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
I went out today and got a haircut, and ran errands. I took hand sanitizer with me and used it frequently. If things get worse in the upstate, I figure I might not be able to get a haircut for a while. Church is broadcasting services thanks to a parishioner with clergy and choir only in attendance - we've been told to stay home. I have a second shingles shot next week, and a cardiologist appointment in April and that's it for medical. I went to a park for a walk yesterday and made sure I left plenty of room between myself and other walkers (no way am I going to Planet Fitness until this is over). I'm going to either grocery shop early in the morning, or pay for delivery to minimize contact with other shoppers. I will order carryout from restaurants but won't sit down to eat at the restaurant. I pray for our small businesses and for the poor, who can't afford to stay home from work.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
If things get worse in the upstate, I figure I might not be able to get a haircut for a while.

FINALLY! An advantage to being bald!

Old 03-17-2020, 04:23 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Based on the press conference yesterday, it sounds like we need to prepare ourselves for a complete lockdown of our country, maybe for a few weeks.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:54 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I've been thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area