Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 03:58 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Wow, shutting down baseball is a big deal. I think smaller, often expensive, liberal arts schools all over the country could almost cease to exist. If I had to pick one locally it might be Presbyterian College in Clinton.
I read an article a couple of years ago that said most college baseball programs lose money every year. Clemson loses money on it despite being 10th or so in attendance.

Given how much Furman charges for tuition, it seems like they could have held on to baseball longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 04:16 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Furman cancelled its baseball and lacrosse teams to cut costs.

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2020...eral-test.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Wow, shutting down baseball is a big deal. I think smaller, often expensive, liberal arts schools all over the country could almost cease to exist. If I had to pick one locally it might be Presbyterian College in Clinton.
Quote:
I read an article a couple of years ago that said most college baseball programs lose money every year. Clemson loses money on it despite being 10th or so in attendance.

Given how much Furman charges for tuition, it seems like they could have held on to baseball longer.
There are many upset with Furman University's decision not to sponsor baseball after the 2020 season. Spring sports beyond baseball do not have the draw power or revenue generation.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:

Generally, football and mens basketball are the only college sports that make money. The rest are subsidized.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:58 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,631,272 times
-Friday 22May some entertainment venues can open (arcades, museums, aquarium, zoo, bingo, indoor kids play, go cart, laser tag, water parks, etc). Note: movie theaters, bowling alleys and some others still closed.
-Saturday 30May some rec/athletics can resume, competitive gameplay allowed 15June.
-YMCA, VBS, etc. day camps TBD.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:04 AM

604 posts, read 584,636 times
Y'all go ahead and re-join society if you like, but we're staying home. I'm going to sit back and observe for a month or so before I relax my guard at all. It's easy for us; we're retired, live out in the country, and don't go out much anyway. It's interesting the divisions forming about 'open' or 'don't open'. I have two friends of very similar backgrounds, education, political leanings, age, etc., but they represent the two polar opposites of the discussion. One friend thinks that they should open everything now. The other doesn't venture out at all, not even accepting packages delivered to his house.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:43 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
Y'all go ahead and re-join society if you like, but we're staying home. I'm going to sit back and observe for a month or so before I relax my guard at all. It's easy for us; we're retired, live out in the country, and don't go out much anyway. It's interesting the divisions forming about 'open' or 'don't open'. I have two friends of very similar backgrounds, education, political leanings, age, etc., but they represent the two polar opposites of the discussion. One friend thinks that they should open everything now. The other doesn't venture out at all, not even accepting packages delivered to his house.
As more and more information and data is being collected, there are legitimate doctors and scientists coming out and saying that a number of precautions that were imposed on us were overkill and possibly even making things worse. For instance the CDC said on April 13, that we did not have to no longer sanitize our groceries or packages. They say that the virus is NOT easily spreadable on surfaces. The CDC just did a slight upgrade to their website and the news did not come out until recently. So basically prolonged exposure to another CV- 19 person is what many scientists and doctors believe to be the leading cause of the spread of the virus.

But, I believe that each person and family needs to do what they think is best for themselves. If being overly cautious is comforting for someone, then by all means, they should continue to do so. Especially if they are at higher risk.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cd...ces-2020-05-21

Old 05-21-2020, 07:34 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
I saw that about the surfaces which is encouraging but will continue to grab high touch ones like door knobs, freezer doors in stores and gas pumps with wipes or sanitizing hands quickly afterward. Probably should have been doing that all along. Wiping down everything that comes in the house has gotten old quickly.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:50 AM

601 posts, read 459,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I saw that about the surfaces which is encouraging but will continue to grab high touch ones like door knobs, freezer doors in stores and gas pumps with wipes or sanitizing hands quickly afterward. Probably should have been doing that all along. Wiping down everything that comes in the house has gotten old quickly.
At least for exterior surfaces, such as exterior door handles, the longer days of spring/summer and more direct sunlight (ultraviolet radiation) should mean that they are somewhat safer to touch. I still avoid directly touching gas pumps though, which are mostly in the shade.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:29 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,631,272 times
Just posting this for anyone wanting to know some more details for SC and local:
*Numbers are 7-day averages unless specified*
State:
-Case Fatality Rate: 4.3% (was 4.5%)
-Estimated C.F.R. (known pos. + estimated pos.): 0.60%
-Avg. 200 new cases/day (last peak was 189/day April11)
-Avg. about 6,000 test/day, avg. 3-4% test pos.
-Test focus was most sick only, now most can get tested so no surprise pos. rising but would be nice to see leveling out instead of slow steady rise.

Local:
-Greenville Co: Avg. about 30 new cases/day (highest in state), should become no.1 in cumulative(since outbreak began) pos. cases today or tomorrow. 12th place on a last 14-day per capita level tho. About 21% of total cases are nursing home / assistant living.
-Spartanburg Co: Avg. about 16 new cases/day (3rd in state). 20th place on a last 14-day per capita level tho. About 14% of total cases are nursing home / assistant living.
-Acute hospital full %: Greenville 68.9%, Spartanburg 88.5%

Old 05-30-2020, 11:10 AM

792 posts, read 497,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
-Avg. 200 new cases/day (last peak was 189/day April11)

Where are you getting these numbers from? This

https://www.wyff4.com/article/corona...eaths/32101107

has 343 new cases yesterday? Also a peak over 300 since April. Not disagreeing, just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area