Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 09:06 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
It's hard to understand why so many companies and people move to or choose to stay in Greenville if the roads are terrible, unless the roads are terrible everywhere.

I would prefer for our roads to be worse to deter people from moving here. The number of people moving here is the real problem in my view. That includes people from states that ostensibly have superior infrastructure.
Lower taxes, no unions, incentives, weather, close to the beach and mountains, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 10:33 AM

292 posts, read 344,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Please clarify - what fixes were promised that do not appear on the list?
That’s the whole point. This list was not what was reported when they told us we had to raise gas taxes. It was sold to the public by simply saying it will “fix the roads”- implying all roads. People heard that and were led to believe it would fix their roads. Had this list been widely circulated before the gas tax was raised, and people not living close to these projects knew about it, there would have been far less support.

If it’s just a matter of backlog, then we should just wait and not increase another tax that will never be reduced. The price of food and energy are far too high right now for working class people. They can’t afford another unnecessary (and wasteful) burden.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:55 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
That’s the whole point. This list was not what was reported when they told us we had to raise gas taxes. It was sold to the public by simply saying it will “fix the roads”- implying all roads. People heard that and were led to believe it would fix their roads.
Amazing what people picked up from that description back in the day. From my impression back at the time, the SC DOT scaled back on the 20 year asphalt resurfacing projects, claiming they needed money for maintenance, and the gas tax would allow that to resume. Of course there's always the question of how that happened: the need to support ever-expanding urban sprawls? Just sinking the money into bridges that need to be fixed would consume a large part of the budget quickly. Or just departmental inefficiency? The inner workings of the DOT are still not as open as the gas tax reports.

Old 02-24-2024, 02:00 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 14 days ago)

731 posts, read 347,229 times
The Greenville area is likely to increase by at least 100,000 people in the next 10 years.

Traffic congestion will only get worse. There isn't a infrastructure magic bullet to deal with congestion in overpopulated areas.

The state spent a ton of money on the 385-85 gateway project but doesn't seem like many people think it helped at all.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:55 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Are there still rural communities in the vicinity of Greeneville?

Old 02-25-2024, 03:51 AM

604 posts, read 584,467 times
Yes, there are plenty of rural areas, depending upon how far out of town you go. We're in Tigerville, 15 miles from downtown Greenville. It's still pretty rural, although the sprawl is heading this way. There are subdivisions 5 miles closer in.

As for urban sprawl and road development, I lived in Pinellas County in FL for 30 years. It was almost entirely built out, with 6-8 houses per acre. The traffic was (and still is) horrible in most areas. They've been trying to play catch-up for decades. As an area builds up, the cost and disruption of expanding roads gets worse and worse.

Old 02-25-2024, 04:14 AM

383 posts, read 280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Are there still rural communities in the vicinity of Greeneville?
depends on what you consider rural and vicinity, sprawl is doing its thing for sure

Old 02-25-2024, 05:32 AM

Points well taken about sprawl happening everywhere..

I consider rural to be low population density away from city centers ....agriculture or forestry type land. a place where you could have a house on a couple of acres without neighbors right on top of you.
30 miles out from the city is a good distance for me...

I suppose I could draw a circle 30 miles out from cities I like and go explore there.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:33 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Points well taken about sprawl happening everywhere..

I consider rural to be low population density away from city centers ....agriculture or forestry type land. a place where you could have a house on a couple of acres without neighbors right on top of you.
30 miles out from the city is a good distance for me...

I suppose I could draw a circle 30 miles out from cities I like and go explore there.
30 miles out? Maybe. But cities in SC are relatively close, so you may just run into another city or town. You seem to be describing something like McCormick County which is 1 hour 30 minutes away. There are rural areas nearby, but there are going be residential developments.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
30 miles out? Maybe. But cities in SC are relatively close, so you may just run into another city or town. You seem to be describing something like McCormick County which is 1 hour 30 minutes away. There are rural areas nearby, but there are going be residential developments.
thank you.....it did seem to be the case that towns/cities are relatively close to one another. Like here, but you have more development (not necessarily a bad thing). Here we just have little burgs with not much going on. I'd like to find a nice senior community, over 55, something like that. i wonder if I missed my window of opportunity (before COVID). Trying to play a month long road trip to wander around again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area