Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,329 times

Advertisements

I am building in this area and have fallen in love with the park and people there. Just wanted to see if anyone has any complaints out there I may not have come across. Anything having to do with builders (McCar, Eastwood Homes, Ryland), the local economy, crime, schools, etc. I have done my research and am confident with my choice, but wanted to see if there are things I may not have come across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM

39 posts, read 117,768 times
Default Hi- We are from Simpsonville

Hi
Congratulations on your move, hope your builder experience goes well. We live in Simpsonville, closer to Mauldin side in an older development(Holly Tree) off Hwy14 and/or Adams Mill
Moving to this house satisifed all our family's needs and at same time gave us things we were missing and sought in our move from PA.( peaceful quiet neighborhood, great built home, nice lawn and safety).
To say we love the Simpsonville area would be an understatement.

There are some things we are adjusting to also in our area:
1) Woodruff Rd on other side of Simpsonville(by five forks) is growing and although not nearly as crowded as it is in Greenville City that portion of the road is seeing alot more traffic as the expansion pushes west and south out of Greenville.
2) Who ever designed and approved the supposedly "aesthetic" changes to main st in DOWNTOWN Simpsonville(reducing 4 lanes to 2 with soon to appear "planters" and other non-functional but apprarently pleasing changes) should be forever condemmed to sit in the traffic pattern (try to make a left turn off main street to say Georgia / Lee Vaughn rd during the day and see how you like it) .. grrrr.... it is as if we just stepped back about 40 years when downtowns were trying to change to pedistrian friendly blocks and they ripped up functional streets and replaced them with unusable space in the guise of "urban planning"
Not to mention that plantings, which will not be done till fall will leave most new "islands" barren because July is not the month to plant new trees, esp in this severe drought.
(Sorry for the rant- I just drove through this area yesterday again and always shake my head to see such lack of foresight in the urban planning area- MY OPINION of course)
3) You will be amazed at what discoveries await you in area, from fairview road(which is like a mini-woodruff but not on same scale) to all the stores we have which allow us suburbanites to NOT have to trapse all over for basic necessities.
4) Ease of moving arounf Simpsonville(on most times- see point #2 for exceptions)
5) Relative calm and peacefulness of the area and low crime...
6) Access to I385/ I185 right past Hwy 14 which allows us when we do go to Greenville proper to be there is under 15 min (even at rush hour)
7) Hidden Gems such as Fountain Inn - below Simpsonville off SE Main St(past where people turn to fairview). We now have a small and new farmer's market which hoepfully will take off( just opened this past weekend)

As I think of anything I will post but ask away for any questions on the immediate metro Simpsonville area

thanks

Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM

131 posts, read 696,353 times
nm

Last edited by SCSKier; 07-07-2008 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontoScfromPA View Post
Hi
Congratulations on your move, hope your builder experience goes well. We live in Simpsonville, closer to Mauldin side in an older development(Holly Tree) off Hwy14 and/or Adams Mill
Moving to this house satisifed all our family's needs and at same time gave us things we were missing and sought in our move from PA.( peaceful quiet neighborhood, great built home, nice lawn and safety).
To say we love the Simpsonville area would be an understatement.

There are some things we are adjusting to also in our area:
1) Woodruff Rd on other side of Simpsonville(by five forks) is growing and although not nearly as crowded as it is in Greenville City that portion of the road is seeing alot more traffic as the expansion pushes west and south out of Greenville.
2) Who ever designed and approved the supposedly "aesthetic" changes to main st in DOWNTOWN Simpsonville(reducing 4 lanes to 2 with soon to appear "planters" and other non-functional but apprarently pleasing changes) should be forever condemmed to sit in the traffic pattern (try to make a left turn off main street to say Georgia / Lee Vaughn rd during the day and see how you like it) .. grrrr.... it is as if we just stepped back about 40 years when downtowns were trying to change to pedistrian friendly blocks and they ripped up functional streets and replaced them with unusable space in the guise of "urban planning"
Not to mention that plantings, which will not be done till fall will leave most new "islands" barren because July is not the month to plant new trees, esp in this severe drought.
(Sorry for the rant- I just drove through this area yesterday again and always shake my head to see such lack of foresight in the urban planning area- MY OPINION of course)
3) You will be amazed at what discoveries await you in area, from fairview road(which is like a mini-woodruff but not on same scale) to all the stores we have which allow us suburbanites to NOT have to trapse all over for basic necessities.
4) Ease of moving arounf Simpsonville(on most times- see point #2 for exceptions)
5) Relative calm and peacefulness of the area and low crime...
6) Access to I385/ I185 right past Hwy 14 which allows us when we do go to Greenville proper to be there is under 15 min (even at rush hour)
7) Hidden Gems such as Fountain Inn - below Simpsonville off SE Main St(past where people turn to fairview). We now have a small and new farmer's market which hoepfully will take off( just opened this past weekend)

As I think of anything I will post but ask away for any questions on the immediate metro Simpsonville area

thanks
Regarding #2, how can you say shrinking Main Street from four to two lanes is a bad thing? Ever been to downtown Greenville's Main Street? They should shrink the rest of Main Street in Simpsonville from four to two lanes.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:13 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,268 times
I can see your point why you would think this is not a good idea too make that road in too a two lane. But most towns have a nice main street that is only two lanes. And it is ment too help people slow down and get out and take a look of what main street has. And they are going to be having more shops and apartments in that area. They are all so going to be putting in turning lanes so that will be a big help. I drive on that road everyday. I think it is going to be great and make it look nice. We don't always have to be able to fly by and go every place in a hurry. And if you know the area and you really dislike the road too much. Then you don't even have to go on that road to get to fairview rd or any place you can just skip right by it.

And welcome too Simpsonville NewHomeBuyer I'm sure you will find it a very nice place too live. As for crime simpsonville is a pretty safe place. I can't even think of a place in simpsonville that I would be scared of going too. As for our the local economy it is pretty good compared too other states. I'm sure you will be happy with your move here.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 PM

470 posts, read 595,276 times
Default Farmers Market?

SoontoSCfromPA where exactly is the Farmers Market?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 AM

169 posts, read 570,551 times
The Farmer's Market in Fountain Inn is on Saturdays only from 8-12 and is located at 102 Depot Street in Fountain Inn. The phone number for more info is 409-1050.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM

Default Fountain Inn Farmer's Market

If you continued down main street, through the town of simpsonville, past fariview road, past the DMV office(on left) you will approx 4 miles come into FI and when you get to depot street make a right... it is in the old train shed.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Regarding my point on shrinking main st in Simpsonville

***NOTE*** The opinions expressed by this person may NOT be those of the readers but here goes

WHY I DISLIKE THE CHANGE FROM 4 LANES TO 2 IN SIMPSONVILLE
If you drive down NE/SE Main street from Mauldin to Simpsonville, you will see a steady and relatively trouble free(save for a few lights-Butler Rd, Hwy14, etc) 4 lane road. Past Hwy 14 it starts to thin out as you go towards downtown Simpsonville.
Taking a straight 4 lane road and shrinking to 2 lanes from outside downtown to past downtown does nothing to enhance the experience in Simpsonville since most of active business sit on a parallel road over the railroad tracks which bisect the downtown. The shrinking of the road does not enhance traffic flow, creates back ups at some of the main turning lights since now the people shrink to one lane for both turns and continuation on main and then it "partially opens up" to allow for a turning lane. (Georgia rd/Lee Vaughn/Curtis being a bottleneck).
I will confess, I am biased to not having this because as a new resident, I like my town and like going downtown we have free concerts on thurs and some nice resturants.
I just do not feel from a traffic flow standpoint that reducing it would be wise.
Just create left traffic turn signals(they are finally being installed downtown) and let us live with the flow as it is now.
From a personal standpoint- there have been 2 times in past week an elderly person has just cut me off because the change from 4 lanes to 2 comes upon you as you drive( warning signs posted and electronic arrows narrowing traffic) and without looking or using a turn signal their car just shot over to my lane.
I dare to venture how this will play out when the construction is over and all the "big" warning signs are gone and the traffic narrows with new concrete planters in the road...
And yes, in the grand scheme of things, this is minor, I just felt it does not enhance the drive through experience in Simpsonville.
***** END OF MY OPINION*****

Old 07-08-2008, 05:39 PM

470 posts, read 595,276 times
Thanks for the info on the Farmers Market!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area