Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 PM

161 posts, read 416,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Since I started the thread I think I need to defend myself from the previous recent post. I didn't start the thread to so called "get back at Augusta". If you think that you might want to examine your reasoning and stop putting words in one's mouth. There is nothing to get back at Augusta for. I just thought it would make for good conversation that its leaders are advertizing here to try and get some of the people out of Greenville.
But technically, couldn't the same thing be said about Greenville? I'm sure there are a lot of people out there to marketing Greenville to various companies to come here (I doubt BMW just "found" Greenville). Marketing is marketing, whether you are trying to attract people, or trying to attract businesses.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:57 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,808 times
I think the billboard is great. We're obviously doing something right in Greenville. Just 10 years ago, Augusta was probably considered a peer city. Not anymore!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Augusta is desperately trying to be "rediscovered". They are beginning to take the revitalization of downtown to the next level, just as Greenville boosted its downtown growth into high gear more than 15 years ago. They have something to be proud of, just like Greenville did in the early '90s (and obviously still does to a much greater level). They are actively marketing Downtown to locals in the Augusta area as well, as the nicely produced TV promotional ads show. Don't forget that their leaders have visited Greenville fairly recently, like delegations from many other cities have over the years, and have taken a wealth of helpful information, ideas, and inspiration back home from our city. As Greenville residents, we ought to be thankful for the impressive level of appeal and positive exposure our city has acquired because of great leadership and hard work over the years. Let's face it, Greenville and the Upstate had quite a lot of negative perception to overcome along the way to successful change.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:07 AM

5,488 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
But technically, couldn't the same thing be said about Greenville? I'm sure there are a lot of people out there to marketing Greenville to various companies to come here (I doubt BMW just "found" Greenville). Marketing is marketing, whether you are trying to attract people, or trying to attract businesses.
More people know about Greenville than you think. Just because you didn't doesn't mean others don't. I used to go to Ohio anually and everyone their asked where I was from and knew what I was talking about when I said near the Greenville area. Just because your from big city Chicago doesn't mean your the only city people in the United States know about.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:16 PM

161 posts, read 416,482 times
Quote:
More people know about Greenville than you think. Just because you didn't doesn't mean others don't. I used to go to Ohio anually and everyone their asked where I was from and knew what I was talking about when I said near the Greenville area. Just because your from big city Chicago doesn't mean your the only city people in the United States know about.
Quick on the draw there, aren't you?

That's not what I meant. BMW didn't randomly through a dart at the map and pick Greenville. If you truly think there aren't people out there from the City and County marketing the area to industry, then you're just being naive. It has nothing to do with who knows about the city, it's about people showing businesses the advantages of doing business here. And since you mentioned it, Chicago had people marketing the city for the summer Olympics, so it has nothing to do with Chicago being a big city.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:51 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Quick on the draw there, aren't you?

That's not what I meant. BMW didn't randomly through a dart at the map and pick Greenville. If you truly think there aren't people out there from the City and County marketing the area to industry, then you're just being naive. It has nothing to do with who knows about the city, it's about people showing businesses the advantages of doing business here. And since you mentioned it, Chicago had people marketing the city for the summer Olympics, so it has nothing to do with Chicago being a big city.
BMW picked Greer over more than 300 locations world wide they were looking at. I did a public speech presentation on the company last year. And yes there are people from the city and county marketing the area to industry. That's what the chamber of commerce is here for.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:59 PM

191 posts, read 522,051 times
Quote:
Just saw this billboard going down Church St. before the bridge, paid for by the Augusta Visitor's Bureau with downtown Greenville's skyline in the backdrop behind the billboard. I thought some would get a kick out of this. They are targeting Greenville and Greenville is targeting Atlanta and Charlotte. Interesting! Good luck getting Greenvillians to Augusta unless its for the Masters. Greenville has so many amenities.
I hope that I can "nip this in the bud",real quick like before yet another thread is destroyed,which as always I could care less.I thought we all agreed a few weeks ago,there would be no more "city bashing",and comparisions between Greenville and Augusta.Best I can tell,I haven't seen anybody on the Augusta forums post any thing nagative about Greenville at all.So I would really appreciate if you and all other idolators,and greenville worshipers,keep your mouth off my hometown or once again we can have another "online war".Don't want one,but don't mind finishing what's been started.By the way,Augusta,is making progress everyday,by leaps and bounds.Have a real nice day now.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinapride View Post
I hope that I can "nip this in the bud",real quick like before yet another thread is destroyed,which as always I could care less.I thought we all agreed a few weeks ago,there would be no more "city bashing",and comparisions between Greenville and Augusta.Best I can tell,I haven't seen anybody on the Augusta forums post any thing nagative about Greenville at all.So I would really appreciate if you and all other idolators,and greenville worshipers,keep your mouth off my hometown or once again we can have another "online war".Don't want one,but don't mind finishing what's been started.By the way,Augusta,is making progress everyday,by leaps and bounds.Have a real nice day now.
I don't want another online war either. I'm just kind of suprised they turned to Greenville over Atlanta or Columbia for their marketing campaign seeing how those cities are closer and have easier access to Augusta than Greenville.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:14 PM

191 posts, read 522,051 times
Quote:
I mean this in the nicest way possible.The sign really needs to be took down,because I personally would't want a bunch of arrogant,so stuck on yourselves and your city,greenville worshipers,to even visit my hometown let alone come to live here.But you know we live in a "free enterprise",and apparently the city government in greenville,did't have a problem with "Augusta Advertisement",is greenville.If anyone got a problem with it though,creating threads and using this website to "trash my city"is not the way to go.By the way,greenville is still on the planet with all the paranoid people there over the teenagers hanging out at "Falls Park",and the citizens here in Augusta are no less American than those in greenville.Now I ask the question,does anyone in greenville,want this thread to "blow up",just let me know.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Call me when Augusta gets one of these in their skyline Carolinapride. Took these pics earlier today:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area