Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:11 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I grew up in Greenville, and I don't wave at someone unless I know them. I also rarely get waved at by someone I don't know. Perhaps it depends on the area of Greenville, because what you describe sounds funny to me.
I agree. People over exaggerate with that statement. Everyone doesn't wave or speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:19 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,938 times
There's nothing wrong with waving! When/if I go there I want people to wave at me, will give me the illusion that I'm really welcome.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:41 PM

140 posts, read 359,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
I agree. People over exaggerate with that statement. Everyone doesn't wave or speak.
No, it's not everyone but down here it's no one!

Old 09-20-2008, 04:48 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
LOL!

Seriously, I have no desire to wave at a complete stranger.
I see it all the time in the neighborhood my parents live in. People waving at other people they don't know.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:04 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,440 times
I'm not sure why people wouldn't want to at least let prospective transplants think that every single person waves to each other lol.

Do you really want Greenville to become so big city that nobody waves?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:55 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I'm not sure why people wouldn't want to at least let prospective transplants think that every single person waves to each other lol.

lol I dunno, I wave at my neighbors in my 'hood and they wave at me, I have no idea who they are but I assume they see my car on a regular basis, so we are all "neighborly" I think its a good thing, how could it be a bad one?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:16 AM

835 posts, read 2,306,440 times
Agreed.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:54 AM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times
If I see someone I never wave and if they wave first, I might just not wave back also.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:02 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post

As I said before, I do not really care if someone waves a me or not. I don't base my opinion of an area - or its residents - on whether total strangers wave at me or not. I certainly don't expect people to wave at me.

My post had nothing to do with how I want people to perceive Greenville. Instead, it was based on my own experience. It is obvious that your experience has been different. So the conclusion is that Greenville is neither overly friendly nor overly rude, but rather somewhere in the middle. That seems to be appropriate for a growing mid-size metro.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:50 PM

544 posts, read 1,472,178 times
Yea man, I dont expect people to wave at me either and am a reserved person but when I feel a feeling of comfort, I start to open up and depending on the person, I can either open up quicker or longer it just depends. I find in areas with my own crowds more, I tend to talk more right off the bat but it takes some comfort to do it for sure. Like if an old guy starts talking to me friendly, I may be real quiet but when I see someone similar to me, I can start talking up a storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area