Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 PM

16 posts, read 38,697 times

Advertisements

Travelers Rest,Greer,or Taylors. Do any of these have walkable shopping and grocery near homes. I'm looking for a small town feel. A community with everything close, maybe everybody knows each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,493 times
This is really my only major gripe of the Upstate. A complete lack of sidewalks and poor infrastructure, other than downtown. Mauldin, as well, has a lot of sidewalks, but other than that you're outta luck. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people walking, or jogging, literally on a strip of grass, 2-3 feet from the road, because, not only are there no sidewalks, there are no shoulders. Taxes are low, so it's a trade off, I guess.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
Taylors is very spread out - not walkable at all. Downtown Greer and Travelers Rest are a little more in line with what you're looking for.

IMO, N. Main Street of Greenville is the best fit... grocery/housing/shopping/cultural venues all within easy walking distance, plus the downtown shuttle system. I would imagine you would stilll have that "small town" feel within whatever neighborhood you select.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM

208 posts, read 633,629 times
I don't really consider any area that you mention very "walkable" except for downtown Greenville (Main St area).

Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 AM

18 posts, read 57,906 times
North Main is the place to be if you want to walk! We can get so many places (grocery, library, downtown shopping, parks) and on the weekends there's the trolley to help us out too. Real estate is more expensive but worth it in our opinion.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,691 times
Well, not entirely true. The areas surrounding Batesville Road/The Parkway (Greer) are pretty walkable, but nothing like downtown. My parents live off of Batesville Road, and they could easily walk to the whole Publix shopping center via sidewalks. The intersection surrounding Brushy Creek/Old Spartanburg is also relatively walkable.

Also check out this website, although it won't be able to show you where the sidewalks are. Still pretty interesting though: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM

137 posts, read 396,757 times
How does the residential area around the Publix market on McBee compare with N. Main for walkability? Is the issue the steeper hills, less shopping, what? It seems to be about the same distance to downtown as areas North of Stone.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Well, not entirely true. The areas surrounding Batesville Road/The Parkway (Greer) are pretty walkable, but nothing like downtown. My parents live off of Batesville Road, and they could easily walk to the whole Publix shopping center via sidewalks. The intersection surrounding Brushy Creek/Old Spartanburg is also relatively walkable.

Also check out this website, although it won't be able to show you where the sidewalks are. Still pretty interesting though: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address
Not to be a contrarian, but the exact opposite is true; I even wrote about it here almost a year ago. My wife and I were driving up The Parkway, towards Batesville Rd. it was pouring raining out, kinda like today and we saw two guys, who both had numerous grocery bags, having just walked out of Publix and they were walking on the grass, right next to the road since there is absolutely no sidewalks on The Parkway. Not only were they getting soaking wet, but their feet were sinking into the water logged grass. This is a shame and an embarrassment. Pelham Rd, to it's credit, does have a decent sidewalk coverage, but the Parkway has zero.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM

915 posts, read 2,423,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Not to be a contrarian, but the exact opposite is true; I even wrote about it here almost a year ago. My wife and I were driving up The Parkway, towards Batesville Rd. it was pouring raining out, kinda like today and we saw two guys, who both had numerous grocery bags, having just walked out of Publix and they were walking on the grass, right next to the road since there is absolutely no sidewalks on The Parkway. Not only were they getting soaking wet, but their feet were sinking into the water logged grass. This is a shame and an embarrassment. Pelham Rd, to it's credit, does have a decent sidewalk coverage, but the Parkway has zero.
I was talking about the subdivisions along Batesville Road, near The Parkway. There are barely any subdivisions on The Parkway itself, hence the relative lack of need for sidewalks.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
I was talking about the subdivisions along Batesville Road, near The Parkway. There are barely any subdivisions on The Parkway itself, hence the relative lack of need for sidewalks.
What are you talking about? The exact opposite is true. How are sidewalks in a private development, where one can in essence walk on the street, be more important than sidewalks on busy streets with businesses? There are a lot of apartment complexes off of The Parkway; as I stated previously, I saw with my own two eyes, two guys carrying groceries from Publix walking on grass, literally a few feet from speeding vehicles trying to walk back to their residences. The Parkway need sidewalks way more then some sleepy sub-division.

The sheer lack of sidewalks in the Upstate was a big time shock for me, coming from California, where the infrastructure is top notch. That being said, everything else there was awful and we have really low taxes here, so it's a trade off, I suppose. I just really wish that sidewalks on busy thoroughfares was more of a priority, heck Woodruff Rd. barely has any sidewalks, for crying out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area