Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:12 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times

Advertisements

CFWIF, i'm moving back home on Friday, lol. And yes, when/if I leave the south, I am going to seriously miss bojangles.
but, if you're looking for land, look south-southwest of downtown. you're going to find more undeveloped land, and it's going to be cheaper.

On the negative side, there are little rural-ghettos spread out in that area, and the terrain gets swampy in some areas.

If you look North, you'll have to go all the way into Newberry, Elgin, or Winnsboro to find something, probably. East is Fort Jackson, Southeast is swampland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 08:22 PM

14 posts, read 32,104 times
Anon - good luck moving back home (wherever that may be). I will let my Columbia realtor look into the areas you mentioned.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:05 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Comin,
I apologize if I came across as patronizing, that wasn't my intent. In you're initial post you equated conservatism with racism, very offensive, btw. You stated that you were familiar with it's christian conservatism and were wondering if it had "progressed". Greenville is one of if not the most conservative, christian areas in the USA. To many of us it is a Godsend, to many others, hell on earth.

As someone else stated I would never, ever want to live in Bezerkley or Ann Arbor or any other bastion of liberalism. I, apparently incorrectly assumed the same of you, for that I apologize. You stated that you wanted to be closer to the family in Columbia and were wondering if Greenville had lost some of it's conservatism. Well, no, it hasn't. In fact it has probably galvanized those of us who identify ourselves as such. Asheville is very similar to the upstate as far as climate, topography and cost of living. As, I've stated before it's a 180 degree in ideology. That's all, I was just suggesting a place in which you might feel more comfortable. Again, sorry if you felt unwelcomed.

You have the right to live wherever you'd like. Heck we could wind up neighbors, I'm a pretty nice guy once you get to know me.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:33 AM
KMT

80 posts, read 355,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll
From the relocation agent. Web site is eddykicker - usual before and after for the site.
Be sure to come back and post after your visit to the area
Tismekll,

I will...and thanks for the help.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:38 AM
KMT

80 posts, read 355,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise
Comin,

KMT,
The Laquinta on Woodruff is very nice inside. Looks a little old on the outside but the rooms are clean and nice and the pool is nice, people used it every day. Free highspeed wireless and free breakfast. It's very centrally located as Woodruff Road is the main strip in the 'burbs. Beautiful new shopping centres across the street. The biggest Whole Foods that I have ever seen just opened up. Btw, book it on line for $59/night. Good deal.
Thanks SON. BTW, I've been reading this thread with great interest and stand with you on the side of conservatism. While freedom of thought, speech, religion, etc. are essential to our design as a nation, it is also important to live and work among those who are of like mind, whether liberal or conservative.

Keith

Old 07-14-2006, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CominFromWhereImFrom
Anon - good luck moving back home (wherever that may be). I will let my Columbia realtor look into the areas you mentioned.

CominFrom-

Please reconsider Greenville. Sure, it's conservative. Bob Jonmes University is located here. Institutes at nearby Clemson are named in honor of Strom Thurmond, without irony. And, yes, Greenville didn't recognize MLK Day until just this year, after every other jurisdiction in SC had already adopted it as a municipal holiday. In many ways, Greenville is the embodiment of everything that liberal non-Southerners (and liberal Southerners, like me) fear about the South.

But.

Greenville is also a very progressive and dynamic little city. Surprisingly diverse, to boot. Go downtown (by the way, downtown is fantastic) on a Saturday and eavesdrop a bit. You'll likely hear French, German, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Japanese spoken, as well as plenty of English in non-SC accents.

Less than 2 hours from Charlotte. Less than 3 hours from Atlanta. Close to Columbia. Close to the mountains (and, yes, to Asheville, which our conservative friends would have you believe is the liberal Valhalla of the Carolinas). Close to the beach.

A huge variety of restaurants: everything from Cuban to Vietnamese to BBQ to nouveau Southern to Thai. Lots of shopping. Every kind of grocery store. And if it's not here now, it soon will be. Greenville is an exciting place to live.

And yes, it is conservative. Sometimes very conservative. But tolerant. Most folks here seem to subscribe to a "live and let live" philosophy. (That said, I doubt we'll see many Pride rallies here anytime soon.) I find most folks here to be friendly, helpful, and neighborly, in the best Southern fashion.

Please don't give up on Greenville.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:48 PM

19 posts, read 95,554 times
some photos of Greenville

http://greenvilleonline.com/graphics/gtg/gtg2006.jpg (broken link)

http://vh10504.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=BS&Dato=20060430&Kategori=COMMUNITIES01 &Lopenr=604290305&Ref=AR&MaxW=100 (broken link)

http://vh10504.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BS&Date=20060430&Category=COMMUNITIES01 &ArtNo=604290306&Ref=AR&MaxW=315 (broken link)

Old 07-14-2006, 08:50 PM

33 posts, read 196,359 times
sleepypossum,
What's wrong with being conservative? You act like it's this horrible thing. thanks for the info on Greenville as I am also looking to relocate to maybe that area from NJ. And as for "no pride rallies", Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!!

Old 07-16-2006, 11:14 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepypossum
CominFrom-

Please reconsider Greenville. Sure, it's conservative. Bob Jonmes University is located here. Institutes at nearby Clemson are named in honor of Strom Thurmond, without irony. And, yes, Greenville didn't recognize MLK Day until just this year, after every other jurisdiction in SC had already adopted it as a municipal holiday. In many ways, Greenville is the embodiment of everything that liberal non-Southerners (and liberal Southerners, like me) fear about the South.

But.

Greenville is also a very progressive and dynamic little city. Surprisingly diverse, to boot. Go downtown (by the way, downtown is fantastic) on a Saturday and eavesdrop a bit. You'll likely hear French, German, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Japanese spoken, as well as plenty of English in non-SC accents.

Less than 2 hours from Charlotte. Less than 3 hours from Atlanta. Close to Columbia. Close to the mountains (and, yes, to Asheville, which our conservative friends would have you believe is the liberal Valhalla of the Carolinas). Close to the beach.

A huge variety of restaurants: everything from Cuban to Vietnamese to BBQ to nouveau Southern to Thai. Lots of shopping. Every kind of grocery store. And if it's not here now, it soon will be. Greenville is an exciting place to live.

And yes, it is conservative. Sometimes very conservative. But tolerant. Most folks here seem to subscribe to a "live and let live" philosophy. (That said, I doubt we'll see many Pride rallies here anytime soon.) I find most folks here to be friendly, helpful, and neighborly, in the best Southern fashion.

Please don't give up on Greenville.
SLEEPY,
In some areas I'm uptight (proper) and in others outlandish (freaky)...and the possible move there has me both excited and worried. 'Politically somewhat but not mentally conservative...
However, given your openness, I would be glad (relieved) to have you as my neighbor.

Last edited by 33458; 07-16-2006 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Qualifier

Old 11-09-2006, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,450 times
I was born in Spartanburg and currently live slightly north of Columbia, SC. I often travel back "up North" to Greenville and Spartanburg to visit family. From what I have seen, news, and families comments, the "racial" side of that area is not as bad as people from the outside make it. Granted, the state as a whole, tends to be more conservative in their views, but it is not common for people to act violently on their views.
The Northern region of South Carolina is beautiful and would make a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area