Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 08:06 AM

68 posts, read 132,447 times

Advertisements

I have worked 1 week per month in the Greenville area for about 3 years as a contractor. The Milwaukee area is dying, Milwaukee is ranked 19th out of 20 snowbelt cities, only behind Detroit. We are coming down later this month to look at real estate & schools. If we move, it will be a "naked" move, that is we really don't have firm jobs etc. (But we really don't have any in Milwaukee either). I'm just looking for some input from others who may have made such a move. We have three school age children and are Catholic. Comments from long time residents and anyone who has made such a transition would really be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 AM

262 posts, read 824,759 times
We moved here from Florida in August. I am catholic and hubby baptist. We also have 2 children in elementry and middle school. I honestly can say it was the best thing we ever did. Our children were very welcomed and accepted right away. Our son who had always been shy and we had to push him to play with others has blossomed. Tons of friends even kids at parties. My hubby transfered and I am a sahm so I am not completly in the same boat but I think you will enjoy it. There are many good things to do as families here and the weather is great! I would recommend anderson county 1 schools. That is where our kids go but I also checked out many different areas before deciding on this district. Welcome and good luck!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 33,617 times
Hi Brian, I think it would be a wise move. My wife and I are from Wisconsin (Fond du Lac and Stoughton) and we moved to South Carolina almost 5 years ago. We were on the coast for the past 4 years and moved to Greenville in December of this past year. We absolutely love it. Once you leave Wisconsin, you'll realize how short your summers were and by the way, you won't miss paying all of Doyle's property taxes either. Our property taxes here are 1/4th you'll pay in Wisconsin. The school system, comparatively, can be a challenge in South Carolina, however, if you had to pick a location with some good choices, it would be the Greenville area. My wife is a big fan of www.schooldigger.com for information on public schools. I'm happy to provide you more info if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area