Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:51 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,091 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I am starting to do research on swimming pools and would like some unbiased opinions. My hubby has always had a thing against above ground pools but I think it is a nice way to ease into it without a permanent commitment. I have a few questions for you guys as I research on-line:

1. Would an in-ground pool add value to our home?
2. On line estimates say an inground pool is roughly $35,000 and an above ground pool about $4000...does that sound right to y'all?
3. Can you get an above ground pool deeper than 4'? I'd like a 6 foot deep end in an Emerald or Kidney Shaped ...which is what I"m looking for. Do you have any experience with the partially in-ground above ground pools?
4. Any advice from pool owners? Things to watch for or recommendations of pool companies? I saw one on Hwy 25 South but when I stopped in they were pretty busy and no one had time to speak with me. They didn't seem very friendly but they were probably just busy.

Thanks for any advice or information you can share with me. It has been a long and hot summer here. I had to give up my pool membership (big pool with cabana right on lake Greenwood!) when we made the decision to move to the country so I'm trying to find an affordable alternative to an inground pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 04:57 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,524 times
My understanding is that you do not usually get your money back on a pool. But if you want one and think you will get more than a year or two of enjoyment out of it, why not?

I think an in-ground pool is your only reasonable choice, but this is coming from someone who agrees with your husband.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the input Greenville. I tried to rep you (even though you are taking hubby's side ) but I guess I've given you rep for something else recently...it wouldn't allow it.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:39 AM

262 posts, read 824,428 times
We had an above ground pool in fl. It was a wonderful thing because it was not permenant. No they do not add money to your home. Inground I believe ads 15k or so to the value. Our above ground was a circle and it was 4.5 feet. It was under 2000 for it. That was being installed too. Now of course being here and the ground is not as flat they may charge more to clear the land. We have been thinking of getting one again for here.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:44 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,757,407 times
Pools could diminish the value of your home, especially if you have the only home in a neighborhood with a pool. There are many potential buyers of houses that do not want to have to deal with a pool. I will say that we used to have an inground pool. It was a royal pain. Think about it real hard before you "dive in". There is a lot of maintenance costs associated with a pool. It is very expensive. For the record, we filled our pool in a few years ago. I am glad we did.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:29 AM

Hey guys..thanks so much for the opinions. Please keep sharing your experiences......this information will weigh heavily in the direction we take. We have a farm in a rural setting but several of the farms out here do have pools. I have seen 3 in-ground and 1 above-ground. Based on what I've read and what y'all have said, the in-ground won't add to our home value and will be VERY expensive to maintain. I'm leaning even more towards an above ground option which won't break the bank and will still provide for exercise and cooling off. If we get tired of it, we can always take it down and donate it without losing a ton of money. Please do keep sharing info....... this is helping.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:13 AM

470 posts, read 595,276 times
I have been pool shopping and a IG pool does add value to your home. Probably around 1/2 the cost of the pool, maybe a little less. But I'm pretty sure it will add value. I'd be interested in what CKEEGAN or PGRISS thinks.
I'm not looking at the pool as a home improvement, this is something we want so why not. Were looking at it as 5 good vacations. And by the way the $35,000 price sounds like you looked at a gunite (concrete) pool. Check out a IG pool with a liner. The liner should last at least 10 years and cost about $1500 to replace. A gunite pool will have to be refinished after 15 years and cost considerably more. Liner pools start at about 15,000, and really don't go much over 20,000. Furmanpals is right a pool is not for everyone but with beautiful weather we have a pool sounds great to me. Concerning cost of operation, check out a salt chlorine generator. This unit uses salt to make chlorine. The salt will not only make your water nice and soft but also costs about 1/6 the amount of chlorine. There are also new filter systems that will run about 1/3 the time of regular sand systems to save on electricity.
Now does anyone have any thoughts on the following pool installers:
Hot Springs and Pools
Rickey's Pools
Upstate Pools
Or any other installer?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:25 AM

194 posts, read 748,448 times
I had an above ground pool and now have an inground. I love my inground pool over above ground as it is much easier to maintain. We have salt water and it feels much better than chlorine. Yes it was much more upfront expense and we know it won't add value to our home but we certainly enjoy it.
We have a pool clearner that keeps it clean and only add salt when needed.
You also have to fence off the pool and it was included in our price along with brick paver decking. It didn't add value but it sure is beautiful. Our pool is gunite.
My understanding is anything deeper than 5 foot will be higher on homeowners insurance. I don't think you can get above grounds with different depths.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:49 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,476 times
My only experience with pools is in FL. An inground pool can add some value to a home, but nowhere near what you pay for it. And it's true- you can scare some buyers away who do not want one. We had a small (15') above ground, and it was fine. It is a never-ending chore to clean it and play with the chemicals, etc. We got 10 good years out of it, and by the time the shell had rusted, we were done with it anyway. Some people really take to pools and use them every day; others will get tired of it, and regret the day they put it in. An inexpensive pool would help you decide if its for you, without a huge outlay of money, and if you don't like it, all you have to deal with is a big sandy spot where it was.

I don't know about SC, but in FL a pool is considered an 'attractive hazard', and must have a minimum 4' fence around it, or your yard, with a lock on it.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:56 PM

470 posts, read 595,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
My only experience with pools is in FL. An inground pool can add some value to a home, but nowhere near what you pay for it. And it's true- you can scare some buyers away who do not want one. We had a small (15') above ground, and it was fine. It is a never-ending chore to clean it and play with the chemicals, etc. We got 10 good years out of it, and by the time the shell had rusted, we were done with it anyway. Some people really take to pools and use them every day; others will get tired of it, and regret the day they put it in. An inexpensive pool would help you decide if its for you, without a huge outlay of money, and if you don't like it, all you have to deal with is a big sandy spot where it was.

I don't know about SC, but in FL a pool is considered an 'attractive hazard', and must have a minimum 4' fence around it, or your yard, with a lock on it.
Yes there is the same law about the fence.

I.G. pools are a lot easier to clean than AG pools because of the center drain, most of your dirt will travel to the drain. Also most pool installers throw in a "free" self propelled vacuum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area