Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 AM

513 posts, read 576,247 times

Advertisements

FWIW; buying plane and bus tickets to send homless to other cities is nothing new. Atlanta has been doing this for years, and some of them have come to places like Greenville and Cola. While not a practice I consider to be a good idea or solving anything, I think it is pretty standard practice for larger cities. It would be nice if these cities would actually try to work on the issues surrounding homlessness, but realistically this is much cheaper and easier for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:32 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It's papering over two enormous problems that lead to homelessness: Substance abuse and mental illness. Neither are addressed, they're just swept under the rug.

You are right. I have a background in social research and yes, many of our homeless folks before the economic crisis were mentally ill and/or addicted. But, again, I have to restate that due to the economic crisis I have to believe that the demographics for that group have substantially changed. I have not yet seen any concrete data but that is my gut feeling. The problem is very complex because you have so many mitigating factors..... families are less able to take in extended family members in crisis (whether it is economic, drug-induced, or mental) because they are are feeling more financial pressure all around. So we have more folks on the street for all of these reasons. This NYC solution is nothing new, folks. Las Vegas did it years ago as well...but they made it clear to those being "relocated" that they were not to return to the streets of Vegas. If they did, they would be subject to imprisonment. I don't remember all of the details. This is a viable economic alternative that has been deemed legal. I have no delusions that it is a purely humanitarian effort....that is the PR spin all of the cities use when doing it. But c'mon folks...... this is a chance to get people in crisis near to family members who, presumably, have a greater interest in helping the person get back on their feet in a safe environment. Like NYB said, the shelters and streets are pretty mean places. It makes sense all around. It isn't a perfect solution... a perfect solution would have intake personnel to evaluate the individual's needs and provide a systematic assessment of all resources available to serve those particular needs as well as the manpower to walk the person through the system, get them registered and follow up with support to ensure successful progression through all parts of the system. This isn't going to happen. There is too much need and not enough resources. Families and communities are going to have to fill the gap. And on a separate note, I enjoy reading the posts. NYB brings a fresh perspective and I personally like her. I consider her a new friend I've met through this wonderful forum. It's ok, and expected, that we will all disagree and argue formidably. I just hope that none of it devolves into mean-spirited, personal attacks. Think before you post

Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
why do all the greenville cheerleades hate newyorkborn so much? newyorkborn usually has a balanced opinion of greenville. Points out good and bad things.
I appreciate your kind words. But the only thing these ignorant people are accomplishing is showing the people who read this forum that there are a group of childish, unhappy people living here in Greenville. That should make those thinking of relocating here think a little harder!

It's cool though........all they do is make themselves look bad. In the end I will still continue to post both the good and the bad about Greenville. There is not a thing any of them can do to stop that!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 AM

Thumbs up The Best Option for All Concerned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
You are right. I have a background in social research and yes, many of our homeless folks before the economic crisis were mentally ill and/or addicted. But, again, I have to restate that due to the economic crisis I have to believe that the demographics for that group have substantially changed. I have not yet seen any concrete data but that is my gut feeling. The problem is very complex because you have so many mitigating factors..... families are less able to take in extended family members in crisis (whether it is economic, drug-induced, or mental) because they are are feeling more financial pressure all around. So we have more folks on the street for all of these reasons. This NYC solution is nothing new, folks. Las Vegas did it years ago as well...but they made it clear to those being "relocated" that they were not to return to the streets of Vegas. If they did, they would be subject to imprisonment. I don't remember all of the details. This is a viable economic alternative that has been deemed legal. I have no delusions that it is a purely humanitarian effort....that is the PR spin all of the cities use when doing it. But c'mon folks...... this is a chance to get people in crisis near to family members who, presumably, have a greater interest in helping the person get back on their feet in a safe environment. Like NYB said, the shelters and streets are pretty mean places. It makes sense all around. It isn't a perfect solution... a perfect solution would have intake personnel to evaluate the individual's needs and provide a systematic assessment of all resources available to serve those particular needs as well as the manpower to walk the person through the system, get them registered and follow up with support to ensure successful progression through all parts of the system. This isn't going to happen. There is too much need and not enough resources. Families and communities are going to have to fill the gap. And on a separate note, I enjoy reading the posts. NYB brings a fresh perspective and I personally like her. I consider her a new friend I've met through this wonderful forum. It's ok, and expected, that we will all disagree and argue formidably. I just hope that none of it devolves into mean-spirited, personal attacks. Think before you post

Tinabean, you always make some excellent points.
I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I was born and raised in Brooklyn New York. I saw a lot of things in those years that only made me more determined to work hard to get out of a bad neighborhood. Luckily for me I did come from a good, stable, loving home that instilled morals in me.

But living in NYC especially the borough of Brooklyn......children learn a lot of hard realities about life and come across people who are in this situation all the time. NYC can either bring out the best in people or the worst in people. There is a very cut throat, money driven mentality in NYC.......this includes the streets and the shelter system for those unfortunate enough to be poor and have to experience these places.

It takes more then visiting as a tourist to understand the complexities of NYC. The streets in this city are a very un-forgiving place. While growing up there I have seen people gunned down (during the daytime) in the street.......stabbed, beat up, pan handling on the subway, drug dealing and people walking around the street who clearly have mental illness. NYC is a city with roughly 8 million people living in just the borough of Manhattan alone........and roughly 20 million in the entire state of New York.

There is always a huge demand of people who want to live in NYC. This number continues to increases every year.......and so does the casualties! Read the NYC forum and you will see a constantly increasing number of people trying to relocate there not only from other cities in the US but from around the world....this is why NYC is called a "melting pot". A lot of people try and believe that they can "make it" in NYC........a large proportion of them fail because of several factors........the main one being money. NYC is the most expensive city in the US.......it takes a lot of money to live there........space there is at a premium, this is the reason that everything in NYC is built up and not out. There is just simply no room.

The shelter system is no different, very expensive for the city to shelter the homeless. Because it simply does not stop at providing shelter.......any type of problems a person has in NYC.......whether it be drug abuse, alcohol abuse or mental disturbance.......NYC has some kind of program that they fund to help with the problem. This all adds up to thousands of dollars a day per person just to house, feed and provide other assistance to people.

Then some of the shelters are dangerous.......which is a reason that many of the homeless would rather take their chances living on the streets. As you so accurately pointed out.......because of this bad economy the demographics of those that are now homeless have changed. It used to be just drug addicts, alcoholics and the mentally ill. Now that has changed.......the people who are becoming homeless now are those that have lost jobs and their homes! I have visited a lot of places and in my opinion NYC is by far the hardest for a person to survive in. So now imagine someone moving from another city with the idea that they are going to make it there!

Therefore in spite of the fact that some look at the tickets NYC is providing to relocate people as just a sweep under the rug. In my opinion it is the best option for all concerned. It removes those that are homeless off of the citys pockets........removes the homeless from what can be very dangerous streets and shelter systems..........manages to get them back to their families who can help them get back on their feet and provide a roof over their heads.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
I have no problem hearing different viewpoints. However, I do have a problem with someone when they refer to an entire of group of people as deadbeats and worse. It is uncalled for. Honestly, if someone doesn't like where they live for whatever reason, then figure out how to move somewhere else. Going on an internet board to name-call those who are happy with where they live is totally unnecessary.
Then I suggest before you assume anything you need to go back and read page 1 of this thread. I NEVER said I did not like Greenville........nor did I start any of the issues you see on this thread. These ignorant people on here started the problem! By the way just because I think Greenville is a great city and yes happy living here......does not mean that I am going to turn a blind eye about the problems that need to be addressed here.

I think NYC is a great city too.......but that has never stopped me from telling both the good and the bad about NY.

This is another typical thing that goes on in this forum. People read a small part of a thread and then point the finger to blame.

Read the ENTIRE thread before you make slanderous statements or assume to know what is going on!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:14 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,769 times
NewYorkBorn - I did read the entire thread. I think you would be much more effective getting your point across if you refrained from name-calling.

Just out of curiosity, what did I say that was slanderous?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
NewYorkBorn - I did read the entire thread. I think you would be much more effective getting your point across if you refrained from name-calling.

Just out of curiosity, what did I say that was slanderous?
"Honestly, if someone doesn't like where they live for whatever reason, then figure out how to move somewhere else. Going on an internet board to name-call those who are happy with where they live is totally unnecessary".

When you make statements like this.......it is slanderous! You were implying that I come on this forum just to attack those that are happy where they live........these GROUPIES are not important to me........nor do I EVER ADDRESS THEM until they address me directly. That is slander because you also do not know me or my habits personally. I don't know any of these people on this forum personally, they don't know me personally and nor do I come on here looking for these people. I post on this forum in a responsible manner........I only post replies to those that create the thread or those that address me directly. In addition to that I have NEVER made a statement on any of my posts stating that I do not like living in Greenville. But when I get on here and find a few idiots on here addressing me and I was not even a part of the thread at that point. Don't worry though.......all of the Greenville groupies have been added to my ignore list.........I can no longer see their idiotic comments!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-31-2009 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
"Honestly, if someone doesn't like where they live for whatever reason, then figure out how to move somewhere else. Going on an internet board to name-call those who are happy with where they live is totally unnecessary".

When you make statements like this.......it is slanderous! You were implying that I come on this forum just to attack those that are happy where they live........these GROUPIES are not important to me........nor do I EVER ADDRESS THEM until they address me directly. That is slander because you also do not know me or my habits personally. I don't know any of these people on this forum personally, they don't know me personally and nor do I come on here looking for these people. I post on this forum in a responsible manner........I only post replies to those that create the thread or those that address me directly. In addition to that I have NEVER made a statement on any of my posts stating that I do not like living in Greenville. But when I get on here and find a few idiots on here addressing me and I was not even a part of the thread at that point.

Then guess what.......if a fight is what they want.........I won't dissapoint them........a fight is what they will get.

That was not slander. Slander Definition | Definition of Slander at Dictionary.com You are a very negative person from what I have seen you post. Think about it.......... one really positive thing about Greenville is that it isn't NYC!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
That was not slander. Slander Definition | Definition of Slander at Dictionary.com You are a very negative person from what I have seen you post. Think about it.......... one really positive thing about Greenville is that it isn't NYC!
That goes to show you have not seen everything that I have posted! On top of that you don't know me to make any form of judgement about who you think I am.

Besides even if I am negative.......then what business is it of yours and the rest of these GROUPIES on here.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:35 PM

199 posts, read 492,963 times
1886 Statue of Liberty
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of you teamming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

2009 re-write:
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of you teamming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, and I'll give them a one way ticket to SC."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area