Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 PM

11 posts, read 21,167 times

Advertisements

People need to take more responsibility for themselves and stop blaming geographical regions for their issues..When in Rome..do as the Romans do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
[quote=sistajane;12548954][quote=NewYorkBorn;12542796]Dognusty, I completely agree.
When you see the same group of people who constantly swear that everything is wonderful in Greenville you have to begin to wonder what they are covering up. Now you have realized that the reality is far from the fantasy that is portrayed on this forum. When I first moved from NYC to SC I constantly heard people who swore that Greenville was progressive, well some of that was true and some of it was not true. There are definitely some entertainment options missing in Greenville.

Quote:

ITA, there is no place to live thatis perfect in every way. The same names you see always saying this is the best place are not true opinions. I'm starting to wonder if these people work for the City or Chamber of Commerce or have another agenda to fill??????

And I don't consider my first post a "negative" or bash on Gville. Just stating the truth and gave the op options...how is that a bash?
Personally the issue that I have is the fact that when you read their posts they only mention the positive aspects and never the negative aspects....leaving those who have never lived in Greenville with the wrong impression. In this case the poster mentioned reading the sugar coating on this forum before moving and of course now the reality did not live up to the fantasy. Then they become upset when other people do not see the area the same way that they do. That is just too bad....this is a free country and there is room for everyone's opinion.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Well, that's one way of looking at it. That probably would have worked for you. Having read your posts, it seems that you never asked yourself what would happen if you lost your job, and whether comparable positions at a similar salary were commonplace or rare. Then when that scenario occurred, you were shocked, frustrated, confused, and dismayed. Now you appear to be disgruntled.

I don't claim the Greenville area is the perfect place to live for everyone, but to me it seems that your overall general dissatisfaction centers on your own poor planning or lack of foresight. Sorry, but we (ex-) New Yorkers call em' as we see em', as you undoubtedly know.

Best of luck in NYC.
You are entitled to your opinion, but then again you don't know me personally to know what type of planning or foresight I did before my move. Regarding my posts as you said we New Yorkers tell it just like it is! As far as being disgruntled, far from it. BTW I don't care how much planning is done in life there are NEVER ANY GUARANTEES for anybody!

My views are just that my views of Greenville, some will share my opinion and some won't and that is great. Unlike other posters I love difference's in opinion because it makes for interesting debates and a more interesting forum.

Good luck in Greenville

Old 01-22-2010, 09:51 AM

183 posts, read 500,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, but then again you don't know me personally to know what type of planning or foresight I did before my move. :
Correct, I really don't know a thing about you, other than the impression I have from those posts of yours that I've read. My opinions are based solely on those.

Quote:
BTW I don't care how much planning is done in life there are NEVER ANY GUARANTEES for anybody!
That's for sure. Knowing that, one accepts the situation and gets on with their life. But respectfully, you don't seem to be able to do so. You no longer live in this area, yet you still feel compelled to post about your dissatisfaction with myriad aspects of it. To me, that's just a bit....odd.

Quote:
Good luck in Greenville
Thanks, my luck so far has been pretty good. I hope yours continues to improve.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Correct, I really don't know a thing about you, other than the impression I have from those posts of yours that I've read. My opinions are based solely on those.

That's for sure. Knowing that, one accepts the situation and gets on with their life. But respectfully, you don't seem to be able to do so. You no longer live in this area, yet you still feel compelled to post about your dissatisfaction with myriad aspects of it. To me, that's just a bit....odd.

Thanks, my luck so far has been pretty good. I hope yours continues to improve.
This is why one should NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER! If you had really paid attention to my posts you would know that I am just as much a Greenville resident as I am a NYC resident.......I still own a home in Greenville that I use for vacation....thus the reason I keep up on what is happening there. As long as this NYC money is being given to Greenville SC for property taxes and vehicle property taxes I am going to express my dissatisfaction as a taxpayer. Just like everyone else who pays taxes in Greenville I have that right. I want Greenville to prosper because I have a financial interest in it's success, if it does not prosper then my wallet does not prosper. Therefore when I see improvements needed I am going to speak up and share my opinion. I am extremely thrilled, I have the best of both worlds.....NYC job opportunities and a SC home when I want to relax.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
This is why one should NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER! If you had really paid attention to my posts you would know that I am just as much a Greenville resident as I am a NYC resident.......I still own a home in Greenville that I use for vacation....thus the reason I keep up on what is happening there. As long as this NYC money is being given to Greenville SC for property taxes and vehicle property taxes I am going to express my dissatisfaction as a taxpayer. Just like everyone else who pays taxes in Greenville I have that right. I want Greenville to prosper because I have a financial interest in it's success, if it does not prosper then my wallet does not prosper. Therefore when I see improvements needed I am going to speak up and share my opinion. I am extremely thrilled, I have the best of both worlds.....NYC job opportunities and a SC home when I want to relax.
Kind of ironic to want a area to succeed, but bash it and run off newcomers don't you think? Did you see the map showing us in recovery and NYC still in recession? Just curious.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Don't feed the troll. If you ignore it, it will eventually go away.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:09 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
People need to take more responsibility for themselves and stop blaming geographical regions for their issues..When in Rome..do as the Romans do...
Eat large amounts of greasy food and talk funny?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Eat large amounts of greasy food and talk funny?
Wait.... Is your "Rome" Dallas, or our fair city?? While there IS traditional Southern cooking here, that AIN'T what Greenville's food scene is all about, and Greenville is FAR from a typical Southern city.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Wait.... Is your "Rome" Dallas, or our fair city?? While there IS traditional Southern cooking here, that AIN'T what Greenville's food scene is all about, and Greenville is FAR from a typical Southern city.
I lived in Greenville for several years. I moved to Dallas because I lost my job and found nothing for four months.

Downtown Greenville isn't typical small-town South, but the rest of the metro area is besides those three blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area