Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times

Advertisements

Are there any nice sized asian markets in the area? I've been reading about a noodle that is carbohydrate free(Shirataki), but it seems as though unless I want to pay a ridiculous shipping cost I can't get them here. I thought maybe an asian grocer might have them in stock. Any help would be appreciated!! My wife is craving pasta and is on a low carb diet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
A few of my favorites are:

Oriental Imports on Laurens Road. Its in a small shopping center across Laurens from The Great Escape and Earshot. The market is fairly large having a main level of shopping as well as a basement level. They sell foods for all Asian countries...Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, etc, etc.

Asian Market on Wade Hampton is also good. In an older shopping center across Wade Hampton (sort of) from Dodges Store. All Asian countries.

There is a grocery store attached to Sushi Masa on Pelham Road. All Japanese, but this is my favorite market.

There is also a Korean market on Wade Hampton near BJU....good sized, mainly Korean, can't remember the name. It's in a small shopping center on the same side of the road as BJU....just before the BJU campus if headed from downtown.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,762,351 times
There's the Radha Asian / Indian Grocers on Hendrix drive - just off Woodruff Road behind KFC across from Wal Mart. They have a good selection of Indian items.

Last edited by bikeoid; 01-25-2010 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Add image

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
There's the Radha Asian / Indian Grocers on Hendrix drive - just off Woodruff Road behind KFC across from Wal Mart. They have a good selection of Indian items.
There's also (or was) another Indian grocery further down Woodruff in the little shopping center that Mimi's Steakhouse (the Asian Mimi's on Woodruff) is in. It's at the intersection with Butler Rd.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
There's also (or was) another Indian grocery further down Woodruff in the little shopping center that Mimi's Steakhouse (the Asian Mimi's on Woodruff) is in. It's at the intersection with Butler Rd.
That's a good one for Indian. I forgot about it.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:33 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
There is a fairly sizable Korean Market on Pelham Road, near the intersection with S.C. 14. I really enjoy shopping there, thanks to my South Korean friends who visit occasionally.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 AM

179 posts, read 462,423 times
The Korean Market in the photo above is in the same shopping center as the Japanese market next to Sushi Masa.

The market described as Korean being on Wade Hampton near Bob Jones is actually Vietnamese. It is called Saigon Market, and has a pretty big assortment of pan-asian stuff.

Don't forget about the original Indian Grocery Store on Laurens Rd across from The Great Escape. I believe it is just called Indian Grocers Ltd. They've always been very good to me.

A few doors down is the vegetarian Indian restaurant, Swad, which also has a wall of groceries, but I do not recommend Swad as I've bought frozen entrees from there which turned out to be out-of-date by months when I got home and looked at them more closely.

Also, not Asian specifically, but if you like Middle Eastern food you should also visit the market in The Pita House restaurant at the intersection of South Pleasantburg/291 and Faris Rd right at Greenville Tech.

The only thing I haven't found much of in Greenville are Thai grocery products.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amator View Post
The Korean Market in the photo above is in the same shopping center as the Japanese market next to Sushi Masa.

The market described as Korean being on Wade Hampton near Bob Jones is actually Vietnamese. It is called Saigon Market, and has a pretty big assortment of pan-asian stuff.

Don't forget about the original Indian Grocery Store on Laurens Rd across from The Great Escape. I believe it is just called Indian Grocers Ltd. They've always been very good to me.

A few doors down is the vegetarian Indian restaurant, Swad, which also has a wall of groceries, but I do not recommend Swad as I've bought frozen entrees from there which turned out to be out-of-date by months when I got home and looked at them more closely.

Also, not Asian specifically, but if you like Middle Eastern food you should also visit the market in The Pita House restaurant at the intersection of South Pleasantburg/291 and Faris Rd right at Greenville Tech.

The only thing I haven't found much of in Greenville are Thai grocery products.
I know what you mean about Swad - the groceries all looked really OLD. But the food served by the restaurant is top-notch! As a non-vegetarian, I found that you really DON'T miss meat in the recipes.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 AM

179 posts, read 462,423 times
Not to turn this into a Swad bashing thread, but while the food is good their naan tasted like it was a microwaved pita, they served Lipton brisk powdered fountain drink tea, and the place was generally dirty so I haven't been back in at least five years. Is it still like that?

Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times
just wanted to say thanks to everyone! Goin' on a hunt for Shirataki noodles right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area