Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 05:01 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

I feel like the tenants there previously were really lackluster and didn't have any name recognition unlike JPeters. I feel like they will do much better there then their predecessors.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:26 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
We had a great meal and experience at the new Fork & Plough on E North Street last night.It seems to be a more approachable and casual version of the Anchorage.There is a limited, but often changing menu.This doesn't bother me at all.If a spot has a really talented chef I want them to tell me what I should order.Its a little like R Kitchen in Charleston, but not so extreme.My $16 stuffed quail was spectalular!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:50 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
My wife and in-laws speak reverently of Pawley's, although it was long gone by the time I'd met them. I wonder what compels restaurateurs to keep giving that location a go.

My understanding, that place was done by one of the former Ryan's people.

I think there have only been two things in the building.. Pawley's and the Ktown thing, which, honestly, I didn't know was closed.. How long has that been gone?

The only two Korean places that have been able to make a go of it in Greenville have been the Korean BBQ on Woodruff and.. I think the name is Kimchee further down Woodruff, which is quite good and more authentic Korean in my book.

You can say with Samsung in town, KTown should have been able to make a go at that location, but.. Samsung isn't bringing in a whole lot of people from Korea.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:07 PM

453 posts, read 646,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think there have only been two things in the building.. Pawley's and the Ktown thing, which, honestly, I didn't know was closed.. How long has that been gone?
There was also Cade’s Dinner House, which I believe also had a Ryan’s connection.

I didn’t know K-Town had closed either.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:30 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
There was also Cade’s Dinner House, which I believe also had a Ryan’s connection.

I didn’t know K-Town had closed either.

Yep. You are correct. They come and go so fast I can't keep track.

The building was vacant for a very long time between Pawley's closing and Cade's opening. I don't think either of those made it 6 months. Since we don't seem to know when KTown closed, perhaps it didn't either.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:57 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Alvin McCall founded Ryan's in 1977.Years later after Ryan's became a public Company and Mr McCall had taken about all of his money out of Ryan's, his son founded Pawley's with his fathers backing.The couple of times we were there old Mr McCall was hanging around.

I thought Pawley's was pretty good and avoided the problem that Ryan's had, which was a place for Southern Baptists to go after church or whenever.I was in several meetings where investment analysts and even the then CEO Charlie somebody said their problem was that all their customers were Southern Baptists who did not drink (or want anybody else too) and were notoriously bad tippers, so they could not get a good waitstaff.They tried a couple of times to roll out casual dining concepts including full bars, but it all came too late.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:36 AM

453 posts, read 646,280 times
Quote:
Since we don't seem to know when KTown closed, perhaps it didn't either.
K-Town opened in 2015 and closed at some point this year. The most recent Yelp reviews are from 3 months ago, so presumably they were open at least June-ish. If they didn’t make it to the 3 year mark, they weren’t far off.

It looks like they’re moving to Woodruff Commons and rebranding as Aoki Sushi.

Looking through the Greenville News archives, Pawley’s opened in/around early 2006 and closed at the end of 2008, so it was open more than two and a half years and maybe closer to 3.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:57 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
According to K-town's Facebook page, they closed on Aug 5 and opened as Aoki on Aug 17 at the 1779 Woodruff Rd location.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:37 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Didn't J Peters make a brief go of it one exit up on Market Point Drive across from Greenridge not to long ago? Maybe this location will be better for them even though it's been a failure so far.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:45 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Yep. You are correct. They come and go so fast I can't keep track.

The building was vacant for a very long time between Pawley's closing and Cade's opening. I don't think either of those made it 6 months. Since we don't seem to know when KTown closed, perhaps it didn't either.
Maybe something like a Denny's there would be better suited for that area with the Courtyard Hotel going in and not to mention all the apartments and townhomes on that stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area