Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 12:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Didn't J Peters make a brief go of it one exit up on Market Point Drive across from Greenridge not to long ago? Maybe this location will be better for them even though it's been a failure so far.
Yes they did. Wish somebody would take over the old Indigo Joe’s. Been empty for almost a decade now I believe.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:04 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I thought Pawley's was pretty good and avoided the problem that Ryan's had, which was a place for Southern Baptists to go after church or whenever.I was in several meetings where investment analysts and even the then CEO Charlie somebody said their problem was that all their customers were Southern Baptists who did not drink (or want anybody else too) and were notoriously bad tippers, so they could not get a good waitstaff.They tried a couple of times to roll out casual dining concepts including full bars, but it all came too late.
I don't get this rant. You are blaming a few hours on a Sunday afternoon as the reason why Pawley's failed at that location? (I know church goers have a bad reputation as being low tippers on Sundays, but the restaurant was open 7 days a week).

You said the full bar "came too late". How is this the fault of the Southern Baptists or non-drinkers?

Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
My understanding, that place was done by one of the former Ryan's people.

I think there have only been two things in the building.. Pawley's and the Ktown thing, which, honestly, I didn't know was closed.. How long has that been gone?

The only two Korean places that have been able to make a go of it in Greenville have been the Korean BBQ on Woodruff and.. I think the name is Kimchee further down Woodruff, which is quite good and more authentic Korean in my book.

You can say with Samsung in town, KTown should have been able to make a go at that location, but.. Samsung isn't bringing in a whole lot of people from Korea.
We went to K-Town once and that was enough for me. The menu was a mish-mash of Korean, Japanese, and other Asian fare. It's like they couldn't decide on an identity. That's also not a great location - kind of off on its own in-between the Woodruff Road corridor, Mauldin, and Simpsonville.

Korean BBQ is pretty decent. The time I went to the other place on Woodruff Road during lunchtime, they were playing gospel music which set kind of a weird mood.

There is a place in Clemson that isn't a Korean Restaurant per se but they make pretty good Bi-Bim-Bap (rice, vegetables, and meat in a hot bowl) and the lady that runs it along with her son (?) are both Korean.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:36 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
I don't get it either. I know plenty of Southern Baptist that have a drink.

Maybe Ryan's biggest problem is they moved away from being a steakhouse style restaurant like old school Western Sizzlin / Quincy's to a country buffet with bland food. Western Sizzlin is still going strong in even some small towns like Clemson and a few other places. Perhaps Ryan should have stuck with that concept. A few more might still be open.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:54 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I don't get it either. I know plenty of Southern Baptist that have a drink.

Maybe Ryan's biggest problem is they moved away from being a steakhouse style restaurant like old school Western Sizzlin / Quincy's to a country buffet with bland food. Western Sizzlin is still going strong in even some small towns like Clemson and a few other places. Perhaps Ryan should have stuck with that concept. A few more might still be open.

Ryan's biggest problem is Ovation Brands or whatever the company is called now that they sold out to. Ryan's was chugging along perfectly fine until that happened.

Astounds me how a struggling company thinks that if they buy a strong chain and bring it down to their low standards, it'll turn them around.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:11 AM

29 posts, read 29,978 times
I miss Po Folks

Old 10-02-2018, 09:20 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter29680 View Post
I miss Po Folks

As do I.. I'll have to read up on the company behind them and what, exactly, went wrong. There are about 7 of them left open down towards Florida, I believe. Think it was a franchisee who kept it going after corporate closed. And my understanding is that a few restaurants down around Athens are descendants of the original Po Folks, but changed their name after corporate's failure and they are just known as "Folks" now.

I'll do some digging and see what I can turn up.. Unless someone else knows the background on them?

Old 10-02-2018, 10:59 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
As do I.. I'll have to read up on the company behind them and what, exactly, went wrong. There are about 7 of them left open down towards Florida, I believe. Think it was a franchisee who kept it going after corporate closed. And my understanding is that a few restaurants down around Athens are descendants of the original Po Folks, but changed their name after corporate's failure and they are just known as "Folks" now.

I'll do some digging and see what I can turn up.. Unless someone else knows the background on them?
I don't know the story but I think a lot of the ones in the Columbia area have become "Lizard's Thicket" with a somewhat similar menu.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:03 AM

140 posts, read 271,817 times
Quote:
Ryan's biggest problem is Ovation Brands or whatever the company is called now that they sold out to. Ryan's was chugging along perfectly fine until that happened.

Astounds me how a struggling company thinks that if they buy a strong chain and bring it down to their low standards, it'll turn them around.
Amen to that! Their food was good until they got bought out.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:06 AM

140 posts, read 271,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter29680 View Post
I miss Po Folks
Oh wow! I had forgotten all about Po Folks. We liked that restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area