Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 AM

93 posts, read 433,821 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I will be visiting the Lake Hartwell area this summer in hopes of locating some property. If I could, I would Like some LOCAL advice on areas with good schools, great neighbors, and easy access to the lake. We certainly do not have to own lake front but within a 1/4 mile of a marina where we could keep the boat.
My wife is a school teacher and we have 3 children so good schools are a must. I have my own landscape business that provides installation, renovation, maintenance and low voltage lighting. In your honest opinion, is there a market for this around that area?
Could you also reccomend some lake rentals for us to inquire about for our visit this summer.
I do appreciate all of your help and look forward to visiting this summer!!!!!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,616 times
You sure are making a good choice - I grew up on Lake Hartwell and I couldn't think of a better place to be.

School district 4 is good (I'm a little biased, it's where I went). I don't know what kind of statistics the schools have or any of that, but I know that the teachers genuinely care about their students, after school activites are plentiful, and the facilities are well kept. I loved it. If you're closer to Clemson, the Daniel school district is very good too. I don't particularly care for the Westside High School school district; I have no real reason for it except for I had friends that went there and our sports teams played there and I didn't like the facilities. The high school is in a not so great part of town.

I'm not sure what your price range is, but Townville off exit 11 is a nice, quiet exit with many, many opportunities to buy on and near the lake. Shenandoah subdivision is a nice one over there. We almost bought a beautiful house there this past summer. Most houses there you can have a dock, but there are a few that you cannot. There are a few other subdivisions in that area as well. Portman marina is within a 5 minute drive from there. There is a house currently for sale in Royal Oaks subdivision that isn't lake front, but has a deeded boat slip included in the sale price. It's a very nice subdivision with some very large, beautiful houses. There's also Teakwood, but the houses there go for over $600k usually. There's also one other subdivision right before you get to Royal Oaks that is relatively new and some very nice houses are going up there but I don't think the prices are qute as high as Teakwood. You also have the opportunity to buy a lot there if you'd like to build. Anywhere on exits 11 or 14 is good lake area and you'll be within 5-10 minute drive to Portman. If you move to exit 19, 21, or 27, you're looking at not very good water (probably dry right now) and a slightly longer drive to Portman. There's also the Clemson marina if you choose to live closer to Clemson.

My dad owns a fence business and I know landscape is different, but he's done well for over 20 years; so I'm sure there's a market for it. Feel free to call him: 864-287-5111. The real estate agent you definitely need to call is Gary Biggins (864-221-4084). He has lived on the lake his whole life and will take you around to show you houses by boat...very cool. He will also be able to answer all the questions you have regarding your business and he can at least help you find a rental property for your visit.

vacation rentals site

this is another good real estate site they maintain their site well and have lots of house photos. the one in royal oaks shores in on here. also try the map of neighborhoods.

hope this helps. if you need any other info, please ask. best wishes to you!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:48 PM

93 posts, read 433,821 times
Fisher33,

Thank you for the info. I will check out those sights for further info.

How is lake Hartwell as far as pollution, water clarity and boat traffic?

How is the fishing up there?

I appreciate the help,
Steve

Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,616 times
The lake is clean, not very clear, but it is clean and I rarely see trash in the water. You used to see styrofoam floating around from the docks but now most everyone has the updated docks so we don't see that anymore really. It has gotten pretty low the past few years. Boat traffic is getting increasingly worse. On the weekends, I'm sure Portman is packed with people putting their boats in and there are definitely a lot of boats out. Not an open island in sight to hang out on. The new trend is having a cigarette boat, so it's gotten kind of loud but it's not too bad. During the week, it's pretty quiet. Fishing is great. They just had the bassmasters classic on the lake this weekend and there were a ton of fish caught and all the fisherman talked about how great the lake was even though the water was low. Black Crappie, Bluegill, Catfish, Hybrid Striped Bass, Largemouth Bass, Striped Bass, spotted bass, White Bass and lots more are all found in the lake. We have fished the lake for years and it's a lot of fun. Sometimes in the evenings, you can go out and the water is slick and the fish bite great!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,382 times
Default Lake Hartwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFNSCAPE View Post
Hello all,

My family and I will be visiting the Lake Hartwell area this summer in hopes of locating some property. If I could, I would Like some LOCAL advice on areas with good schools, great neighbors, and easy access to the lake. We certainly do not have to own lake front but within a 1/4 mile of a marina where we could keep the boat.
My wife is a school teacher and we have 3 children so good schools are a must. I have my own landscape business that provides installation, renovation, maintenance and low voltage lighting. In your honest opinion, is there a market for this around that area?
Could you also reccomend some lake rentals for us to inquire about for our visit this summer.

Steve
I have to lots for sale in Royal Shores they each have boat slips

Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,382 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Steve
My phone no is 8125836685 test or call thank you

Old 07-01-2011, 05:30 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
I'd say your kind of business should do well around the Lake Hartwell area. Between all the really beautiful homes and condo complexes on the lake (and quite a few businesses on the Anderson side of the lake) there should lots of opportunity. I don't know what the competitive environment would be like, though (other established landscapers). Good luck!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,655 times
Quote:
Fisher33,

Thank you for the info. I will check out those sights for further info.

How is lake Hartwell as far as pollution, water clarity and boat traffic?

How is the fishing up there?

I appreciate the help,
Steve
I don't live on Lake Hartwell but during the late spring, summer, early fall months I go there about every other weekend for boating/jet skiing. I can say, that at least outside of the marina areas the lake has a ton of free space. I've never been to the Marinas as my uncle has a semi-private loading area so I use that, but out by where he has his dock (exit 4, fair play), even on a really busy day like memorial day, there is plenty of room on the water - we water ski all the time and there's never any worry about too many boats or boats getting dangerously close or anything like that.

Like I said though, I haven't been to any of the Marinas so I'm sure they're probably a lot busier. The lake is enormous though, so plenty of room for everyone. The water is very nice (clean and warm) and good to swim in. There are a ton of small islands with little beaches you can 'set up camp' on as well (we just run the boat/skis right up onto the sand and make camp for the entire day or even stay the night).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area