Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:10 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times

Advertisements

Greenville is not the place for everyone in Florida. Some people just love the beach, the weather, and the "fun" tourist/party atmosphere (or their families) too much to leave.

Greenville has some nice shops, restaurants, and the occasional national/international performance. No big theme parks (~2 hours drive), no snorkeling, no gulf fishing, and no big sports franchises although we do have a minor league hockey team coming back and we have a 1A baseball team with a shiny new ballpark.

We've had people come up from Tampa for about a year, get into our downtown scene, enjoy it for awhile, and then kinda lose interest. It can be hard to afford the downtown lifestyle depending on your income and then there is a specter of crime there.

You were likely impressed by our pretty airport and the rolling hills as you took off. This can be a breathtakingly beautiful area at times and certainly a big change from Florida.

Only you will know whether this is home for you. I hope you find somewhere you love to be with people that you love and that love you back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 AM

28 posts, read 68,242 times
We use to live in Ruskin FL. then moved to Charlotte then this past year moved to Greenville. It is so nice here. We are very happy we moved... the area, schools, and over all community is great here.
we moved to the five forks area, it was a perfect choice for our family.
good luck with your move.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 AM

132 posts, read 466,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Only you will know whether this is home for you. I hope you find somewhere you love to be with people that you love and that love you back.
Wow, very nice!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:24 AM

10 posts, read 15,247 times
Thank you Skunk Workz for your response .. I spent such a small amount of time there without even THINKING of moving there ( I was on my way to Charlotte ) and couldn't believe how quickly I realized I wanted to be there just driving around killing time before catching my flight. I am planning a trip up next month to do more investigating and look for neighborhoods ... I am thinking of a move in about a year also .. good luck to you!

Last edited by BlueLemons; 04-14-2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add name

Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Greenville is not the place for everyone in Florida. Some people just love the beach, the weather, and the "fun" tourist/party atmosphere (or their families) too much to leave.

Greenville has some nice shops, restaurants, and the occasional national/international performance. No big theme parks (~2 hours drive), no snorkeling, no gulf fishing, and no big sports franchises although we do have a minor league hockey team coming back and we have a 1A baseball team with a shiny new ballpark.

We've had people come up from Tampa for about a year, get into our downtown scene, enjoy it for awhile, and then kinda lose interest. It can be hard to afford the downtown lifestyle depending on your income and then there is a specter of crime there.

You were likely impressed by our pretty airport and the rolling hills as you took off. This can be a breathtakingly beautiful area at times and certainly a big change from Florida.

Thank you for your insight! I have lived near the beach and Disney for YEARS and never go ... I am ready for mountains and lakes.. thats for sure!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 AM

177 posts, read 685,569 times
We plan to make the opposite move next year. We live in Greer and we plan to move to Sun City Center, FL next year. We have lived here for 9 years but it is too cold in the winter (especially for DW who is from Malaysia).

Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
We plan to make the opposite move next year. We live in Greer and we plan to move to Sun City Center, FL next year. We have lived here for 9 years but it is too cold in the winter (especially for DW who is from Malaysia).
Well, you won't be cold here .. thats for sure. We had a chilly winter, but that is pretty rare. What is Greer like? Maybe I will take a drive thru when I head to SC next month..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM

177 posts, read 685,569 times
We have a Greer address but don't actually live in Greer (which means we don't have to pay city taxes . We prefer a suburban area like this away from businesses (although we have a Bi-Lo regional chain grocery story two blocks away). I understand that the public schools are this side of town are good although we have no personal experience with public schools. I taught at Bob Jones University until I retired last year -- it was a easy 5 mile drive to work for me.

We snowbirded in Clearwater this past winter for three months. DW was cold much of the time but it was 10 to 20 degrees colder here. We enjoyed being able to pick spinach and swiss chard at a u-pick hydroponic farm in Ruskin all winter though.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM

506 posts, read 1,222,166 times
Moved to Greenville from Orlando and it was the best decision I ever made. Everything about Greenville is better than Orlando (in my opinion of course). Weather, people, roads, locations, restaurants, outdoor activities, etc.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM

98 posts, read 203,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
Moved to Greenville from Orlando and it was the best decision I ever made. Everything about Greenville is better than Orlando (in my opinion of course). Weather, people, roads, locations, restaurants, outdoor activities, etc.
Moved from Boca Raton to Greenville - my summary: people in Gville are 1000000x better, traffic in Gville is nothing compared to a major metro (tho widening 385 is needed as is 85 thru Pelham area), restaurants are getting better...the only downside is the nightlife and that is probably relative to where I am from. Nowhere near South FL, but that wasn't a surprise. There are things to do in Gville at night, it's just different. Not saying it's bad here, but it you can't really compare it to a place like South FL in that regard.
Weather in Gville is good, no hurricanes, property taxes and insurance are dirt cheap. Seasons are good...but if you have bad allergies, better get a good Dr. before you come here. Luckily I don't have allergy issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area