Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 AM

10 posts, read 15,255 times

Advertisements

I have been reading these posts for a while, and I know they all ask just about the same questions, but, I still feel the need to post . I live in the Tampa area and I am thinking of making the move up to Greenville. I am originally from Upstate NY and miss the mountains and lakes. The summer heat here is killing me. I know that Greenville is still warm but anything has to be better than living like a hermit for 8 months of the year. I like being outdoors and love small town values - just not so much the small town drawbacks that Greenville doesn't seem to have. Anybody have any thoughts? All opinions welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:38 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head about this area. Are you looking for, or looking to avoid anything in particular?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM

84 posts, read 203,050 times
We moved from Sarasota and have not looked back. Originally from Mass. You will love it!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
We currently live in the Tampa area as well, but have land about 15 miles north of Greenville. We looked in a lot of places in the southeast, but nothing came close to Greenville for livability. If you like the mountains and countryside, you'll want to look north and west of Greenville- Pickens, Easley, Travelers Rest, etc. Some of the areas to the east and south are starting to look a little too much like Pinellas County for me- fast food joints and strip malls. The down side is that we will have to travel a bit further for shopping, but it's a trade I'm willing to make. The mountains are close by, and much quieter than western NC, which suffers from being too popular in some areas.

Greenville can get very hot- hotter than FL, in fact, but it doesn't last nearly as long, and the nights in particular are cooler. We've visited several times during the summer, and have never felt uncomfortable. If all else fails, you can head up to the higher mountains in NC and cool off. Highlands NC can be almost chilly- even in summer.

You didn't say what your work situation is, but be advised that Greenville, like much of the rest of the country has high unemployment- probably about the same as west central FL. I think SC will rebound much faster, though- in fact, I'm betting everything on it, as we will be breaking ground this year, come heck or high water.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head about this area. Are you looking for, or looking to avoid anything in particular?
Thank you for your reply!! I have lived here in FL for 15 years now and just think its time for a change. I thought I wanted to move to Charlotte and took a trip there in January to check out neighborhoods. I flew in and out of Greenville, and as the plane took off, I realized that THAT was where I should be. Guess I just want to avoid MASSIVE traffic and the unfriendly, rude vibe that exists here in FL. Dating here is a nightmare - anything has to be better. And taking a day off to go to another state sounds wonderful to me. I grew up 2 minutes from Vermont and could hit 3 different states or Canada in a day if I wanted. It takes a good 5 hours just to get OUT of the state ...

Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
We currently live in the Tampa area as well, but have land about 15 miles north of Greenville. We looked in a lot of places in the southeast, but nothing came close to Greenville for livability. If you like the mountains and countryside, you'll want to look north and west of Greenville- Pickens, Easley, Travelers Rest, etc. Some of the areas to the east and south are starting to look a little too much like Pinellas County for me- fast food joints and strip malls. The down side is that we will have to travel a bit further for shopping, but it's a trade I'm willing to make. The mountains are close by, and much quieter than western NC, which suffers from being too popular in some areas.

Greenville can get very hot- hotter than FL, in fact, but it doesn't last nearly as long, and the nights in particular are cooler. We've visited several times during the summer, and have never felt uncomfortable. If all else fails, you can head up to the higher mountains in NC and cool off. Highlands NC can be almost chilly- even in summer.

You didn't say what your work situation is, but be advised that Greenville, like much of the rest of the country has high unemployment- probably about the same as west central FL. I think SC will rebound much faster, though- in fact, I'm betting everything on it, as we will be breaking ground this year, come heck or high water.
Thank you so much .. that is all very helpful. Yeah, I have seen enough strip malls and McDonalds here - thats for sure. I work for a mortgage company that has an office in Greenville, so I am hoping to transfer. Otherwise it won't even be an option to move. Stuck here until the economy picks up I guess!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM

266 posts, read 1,025,797 times
We moved from MA to FL and decided that wasn't the place for us and we did not want to go back to MA. We looked at Charlotte and Greenville. Both are very nice but we love it here in Greenville. Reminds us a little bit of up north but with very friendly people!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:27 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLemons View Post
Thank you for your reply!! I have lived here in FL for 15 years now and just think its time for a change. I thought I wanted to move to Charlotte and took a trip there in January to check out neighborhoods. I flew in and out of Greenville, and as the plane took off, I realized that THAT was where I should be. Guess I just want to avoid MASSIVE traffic and the unfriendly, rude vibe that exists here in FL. Dating here is a nightmare - anything has to be better. And taking a day off to go to another state sounds wonderful to me. I grew up 2 minutes from Vermont and could hit 3 different states or Canada in a day if I wanted. It takes a good 5 hours just to get OUT of the state ...
How ironic (you'll appreciate that fact if you spend time here) that you visited Charlotte, but flew in/out of GSP!! It's funny - GSP is nationally ranked among the most expensive airports to fly from, and MANY would-be GSP passengers choose to drive to Charlotte (CLT) for lower fares. You must have flown on Allegiant Air, eh? Wise move!

Charlotte is a fantastic LARGE city. Depends on what you want, but we've found the Greenville area to offer most, if not all the amenities a major city offers, but with much less congestion and the frantic vibe that comes with it.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Bluelemons, seems the awful drivers and rude people have migrated up from Miami to Tampa!Not to worry, we've definitely got plenty in SOFLA!

We just bought a home in Greer having lived in SOFLA my entire (long) life. You mentioned being 5 hours away from getting out of the state, it's 6 1/2 hours for me - not only is it a long drive, but boring and flat. As many times as I've been to Greenville to look at homes (stayed up in Hendersonville), traveling back and forth, I'm constantly in awe of how beautiful the drive is. It was also nice to go visit friends in Atlanta and only have a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
How ironic (you'll appreciate that fact if you spend time here) that you visited Charlotte, but flew in/out of GSP!! It's funny - GSP is nationally ranked among the most expensive airports to fly from, and MANY would-be GSP passengers choose to drive to Charlotte (CLT) for lower fares. You must have flown on Allegiant Air, eh? Wise move!.
Just my 2 cents, Allegiant Rocks! My DH has flown up here on Allegiant and will be doing so again next month, from Ft. Lauderdale, non-stop flight, with all taxes, $55 Just wish they had more flights available here!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
We're just south of the Skyway, and will be making Greenville our home in about a year. After 20 years of suffering through the heat and humidity we've had enough.

We were up there a couple of weeks ago, and it took just one day in the area to make the decision. I would encourage you to check Greenville out if you get a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area