Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 05:32 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times

Advertisements

Jerry, the actual town my parents lived in was Woonsocket SD but there was no hospital so we had to go to Mitchell SD for my mother the deliver me. My dad was a plummer in those days and he put the first indoor toilet in our town. Funny to think of that!
I saw a girl from the Hospice team that helped me with my DH before he passed and she told me that hopefully once this one year anniversary passes maybe I will feel better. This anniversary will mean that I have now been through each holiday without my DH and even though they were all difficult I did make it so now the big one is just a few days away. I am going to attempt to mow my lawn again--those silly weeds are all that seems to be growing and they are so tall again....maybe being outside will make my day go faster.
My little female Basset Hound is the same way..very skittish. Won't even eat when there is thunder, shooting or fireworks so I'm dreading the hunting season approaching. It's already Dove season so I try to get them fed before the sun comes up so if the hunters start shooting she will have already eaten. Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Old 09-07-2015, 05:35 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Happy labour day CYN

Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 AM

218 posts, read 207,577 times
Cyn,

I noticed you started this thread September 17, 2014 - that's the anniversary you're working?

I can't see how it softening/mellowing can be a "step function" but surely a full year will bring in total progress. I pray it does.

My Chihuahua doesn't mind gun/thunder.. a close lighten bolt that lights up the hours and rattles the windows gets his attention.

I'm about ready to go out for a short (5 miles or so) rind on my ancient 12 speed Fuji racing style bike to see if I can still ride. My wife and I used to ride often... I need to hurry as the temps are on their way up again.. will summer heat end?

I may buy a Hybrid bike with the more comfortable seat and handlebars for upright posture when riding down mostly smooth and level paths - my heart will no longer take the hills. The bike ride today will help me decide, I haven't gone for a ride for a couple of years as I didn't want to ride without my wife... now I have no choice and have to ride alone or with a friend if I find one.

Wishing you something to celebrate with us, we surely will be happy to do so.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Jerry, the actual town my parents lived in was Woonsocket SD but there was no hospital so we had to go to Mitchell SD for my mother the deliver me. My dad was a plummer in those days and he put the first indoor toilet in our town. Funny to think of that!
I saw a girl from the Hospice team that helped me with my DH before he passed and she told me that hopefully once this one year anniversary passes maybe I will feel better. This anniversary will mean that I have now been through each holiday without my DH and even though they were all difficult I did make it so now the big one is just a few days away. I am going to attempt to mow my lawn again--those silly weeds are all that seems to be growing and they are so tall again....maybe being outside will make my day go faster.
My little female Basset Hound is the same way..very skittish. Won't even eat when there is thunder, shooting or fireworks so I'm dreading the hunting season approaching. It's already Dove season so I try to get them fed before the sun comes up so if the hunters start shooting she will have already eaten. Hope everyone has a blessed day!
There is a "Woonsocket" in RI. I thought it was a unique name.....maybe it means something or maybe there is another town named that in England.....that the settlers named their new home after????

Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_NJ View Post
Cyn,

I noticed you started this thread September 17, 2014 - that's the anniversary you're working?

I can't see how it softening/mellowing can be a "step function" but surely a full year will bring in total progress. I pray it does.

My Chihuahua doesn't mind gun/thunder.. a close lighten bolt that lights up the hours and rattles the windows gets his attention.

I'm about ready to go out for a short (5 miles or so) rind on my ancient 12 speed Fuji racing style bike to see if I can still ride. My wife and I used to ride often... I need to hurry as the temps are on their way up again.. will summer heat end?

I may buy a Hybrid bike with the more comfortable seat and handlebars for upright posture when riding down mostly smooth and level paths - my heart will no longer take the hills. The bike ride today will help me decide, I haven't gone for a ride for a couple of years as I didn't want to ride without my wife... now I have no choice and have to ride alone or with a friend if I find one.

Wishing you something to celebrate with us, we surely will be happy to do so.
You be careful on the bike Jerry..........think of Secretary of State Kerry! I am afraid to get on a bike...but I stopped riding after an accident when I was in my 40's......I wiped out on a patch of gravel while trying out my sons new racing bike. (I didnt understand the gears or hand brakes.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:36 AM

I'd love to get back into riding a bike again but I don't like the hard seats and I like big tires! Gears confuse me a little--I always only had a 3 speed. I did have a nice bike here and one I bought from my neighbor at her garage sale but decided to give the one I bought at the yard sale to my other neighbor so she could ride with her little boy as they have a paved road by their house and the one I brought with me from CA was not comfortable and my neighbor wanted it so I gave it to her after all they had done for me and my DH. Maybe when I figure out the kind of bike I'd like I'll give it a try again.
Jerry my D/H passed Sept 10, 2014. I don't know if it ever really gets softer or more mellow but I suppose you just learn to live a new kind of life. I pray constantly that things will get a little easier.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:07 AM

Planning a trip to Colorado in October to see a couple of family members and join with my buddy, who came to help me when my wife passed, to spend a few days seeing some things I wanted to see and, "If not now, when?" time is short.

We have talked about visits to Mesa Verde and the Grand Canyon. I grew up in Colorado but in a very low income home, so none of those places were on our affordable vacation lists.. did I say "vacation"? Oh, yes that's what other people did. There he goes again...

I have put off going to CA to see my two grown children (Middle Age Adults) October, in favor of spending some time in and around Denver - seems we have both bereavement and other issues that complicate our relationship and it may be better to let more time pass.

The friend in Colorado lost his wife over a year ago, and he has started "doing things" with an unmarried lady in his church he has known for years.. so there's another reason to do the sight seeing trip soon before he has less flexibility in his personal time.

I talk with women at the bereavement groups, heck most are women so what choice do I have : ) I was talking coffee (had a cup from the center's kitchen) with a woman younger than my daughter (this doesn't make her a thirty-something) and last Tuesday (last session) she brought me a 12 oz bag of Peet's Coffee beans. We had discussed the value of grinding coffee just before use. Yum, the coffee is good, but I think the (was A&P) 8 O'Clock coffee is close and about half the cost. She also uses 8 O'Clock, so not throwing negatives at her choice... thought it was a nice outreach. I try to establish some light conversation with others in the group, some like the coffee experience, but most, closer to my age, seem distant - I know why, but I just can't keep quiet... even my fingers can't.

To quiet my fingers before I "say" something I'll regret, I stop here. Oh, yes, the bike ride went so well I wonder why buy a new bike. The bike is over 30 years old and has the old touchy-feely tube mounted shifters but otherwise very smooth. I didn't even wear a helmet, rode only a couple miles.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:13 AM

Still Jerry take it easy on that bike! Now you have me all interested in getting another bike--one that fits me an is comfortable! We only have dirt roads or main roads to ride on here.
I have another kitty with dental problems....just noticed it the other day so I am going to pray my vet will just give her the same shot he gave Whitey because this one has asthma and going under would not be safe. I also hope he gives me the same break so I can afford to get her taken care of. I'd have never taken on this many critters had I know when I did it what my future would be like. Although I could never get rid of any of them because we are family now I am a strong believer in if you own animals you should be able to afford to take care of their needs. So I do my best......
This job really helps! Have a great day everyone. I have work today!

Old 09-08-2015, 07:03 AM

Back from the vets---had to pay full price because she is a new patient for him....oh well at least she did get a couple of shots that will hopefully get this under control....doctor said it may take a couple of visits but that he wouldn't charge me the full price. I'm just happy she is going to be feeling better.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 AM

Happy your vet is at least considering your long time customer status, strange about the "new pet" but better than nothing.

I am sure a vet has to measure how much help they provide for those having difficulty paying, wonder how they know for sure. Of course they have bills to pay and need to earn a living too... hope the part time work helps with these "unplanned" expenses.

We had a Westie (dog) that had allergy problem.. and other problems including teeth, we spent about a thousand per year the three years we had him. He was a senior rescue when we adopted him. Sadly some of the side effects from treatment may have caused his death (he was put down and estimated 11 years old, about typical for the breed). Our vet has a big operation and when I look at the number of employees it is clear she (the vet) doesn't take much of what comes in home with her.

On the thread subject, my brother-in-law, wife's side, is still in hospice. So the wait goes on and I understand pain management is working/helping. He, strangely like our Westie, has intestinal failure. I hate to wish him a faster end, but I believe he would prefer it.. Or Westie was in pain beyond treatment. I have no information on if my BIL is awake or not. Just doing text messages with his daughter-in-law who is the primary watch. The pain of death for human and animal stresses my faith... the pain of bereavement for the living is a driven by the former.

Last edited by Jerry_NJ; 09-08-2015 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Add to thread subject
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.