Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:45 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,219,879 times

Advertisements

Four weeks ago, my neighbor's were driving by my house and stopped and we talked and laughed. They told me how hard I am working on my house and they were proud of me. We had a nice chat and I promised them I would stop by for a visit. Then less than a week later, he is in the hospital and a week later he dies and three weeks his wife moved to TN and the house sits empty. I walked to my mailbox and looked over at their house with a For Sale sign in front of it and I burst into tears. These neighbor's were my family. They helped me with my husband and I don't know what I would have done without their care and kindness and they were my support system. Over the years I would take food over to their place and we would eat meals together at least once a week. They came over to visit me in October and I had a nice meal for them and they met my cat.

I just can't stop crying. I miss them so much.

So many losses in my life. Wow.

But, I am trying to stay positive. I am now meeting new people and a few people recently contacted me and asked me if I would like to join them for a movie or go out to eat with them.

Thanks for listening. I guess I am being a big baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,320,618 times
Smilin...I'm sorry you lost your neighbors. (Who had become like your family.).. Sorry you have to go through another big void in your life...I don't think you're a "cry-baby." Of course you feel sad and "lost" without your longtime neighbors...Great that you're making new friends. But, it may take time to work through your grief and sadness over losing your neighbors and the closeness you shared together. I'm sorry.. Sending you a hug and lots of love.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:55 AM

48,162 posts, read 22,022,438 times
Oh I am so sorry for all your losses.

The compassionate Buddha teaches that suffering is a result of trying to hold on.....death and loss are inevitable parts of living.....being in the present moment is the way to escape suffering.

Happiness isn't dependant on what we have or who we are........it is solely dependant on what we think.

That teaching would apply....in this moment think on the warmth of friendship....don't think on the loss, the moving away.
Be prepared and open for new blessings....

Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,219,879 times
Oh, thank you both for your loving and kind responses.

Elston, you sure know the right words to make a person think and move ahead. I thank you. I will be prepared for new blessings.

I will not think of the loss, they were a blessing to me and I will cherish their friendship to eternity.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:05 AM

48,162 posts, read 22,022,438 times
I know that you will. Be well smilinpretty. Happy New Year.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:13 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,327,650 times
I am sorry to read that.
Big hugs.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 AM

When we've experienced countless losses basically all in a row, it's hard to face another loss. And, another void in our life...I know it's been hard for me...When my Mom passed-away, I was grief-stricken. But, I still had everyone else in my family around for comfort and support...Now, it's different. I am totally on my own today...So, I can relate to your grief over losing your neighbors Smilin. You've been through one loss after another too...I'm sure we'll both "regroup" and do better down the road a bit. But, right now, any new loss can feel devastating.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:44 AM

428 posts, read 644,256 times
I too am sorry for your losses, sometimes it feels almost impossible to bear, doesn't it?

And for me, I keep trying to understand just why and how I wound up here, in this particular position in life.
For months I was convinced we were led to a particular hospital because that's where my husband had the best chance of surviving. But he died instead.
So now I am thousands of miles from what used to be home, wondering just where to go next.

Eighteen months ago we sold our home and bought a camper, so I feel stripped of most 'stuff' already, and am free to do almost anything I want. I'm by no means wealthy, and will have to create income along the way, but how weird that since we decided to sell it all and travel the country side, I've been paring down my life to it's utter essentials. I am alone for the first time ever really; no kids, no critters, no mortgage, no job and no spouse to care for.

It's equally thrilling and terrifying, depending upon my mood and sugar intake, lol.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Oh I am so sorry for all your losses.

The compassionate Buddha teaches that suffering is a result of trying to hold on.....death and loss are inevitable parts of living.....being in the present moment is the way to escape suffering.

Happiness isn't dependant on what we have or who we are........it is solely dependant on what we think.

That teaching would apply....in this moment think on the warmth of friendship....don't think on the loss, the moving away.
Be prepared and open for new blessings....
I'm not a big fan of suffering and suffering and being miserable all the time. (Not at all!)...But still, I know there are times when I need to acknowledge my honest and true feelings. I'm not a robot or "Dr. Spock" from "Star Trek."...Sometimes, I need to stop and cry and grieve my losses. And, make it okay...I don't want to get stuck in endless sadness or anger or self-pity. (To the point that I never experience any joy or happiness in life anymore.)...I try to stay in "balance." Won't let myself "drown!"

Old 01-03-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
I too am sorry for your losses, sometimes it feels almost impossible to bear, doesn't it?

And for me, I keep trying to understand just why and how I wound up here, in this particular position in life.
For months I was convinced we were led to a particular hospital because that's where my husband had the best chance of surviving. But he died instead.
So now I am thousands of miles from what used to be home, wondering just where to go next.

Eighteen months ago we sold our home and bought a camper, so I feel stripped of most 'stuff' already, and am free to do almost anything I want. I'm by no means wealthy, and will have to create income along the way, but how weird that since we decided to sell it all and travel the country side, I've been paring down my life to it's utter essentials. I am alone for the first time ever really; no kids, no critters, no mortgage, no job and no spouse to care for.

It's equally thrilling and terrifying, depending upon my mood and sugar intake, lol.
Thanks for sharing. I'm so sorry you lost your husband. Good luck on your new journey...Where are you going to go and what are you going to do next?...I know it's probably in my best interest to move away from my present area at some point and make a "fresh start." But, I keep putting it off...I have to convince myself that my loved ones will follow me and still be with me (in-spirit) if I move away and strike-out on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning