Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:48 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,884,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
So sorry to hear of your loss

and yes, I tend to agree - it does hit men harder - so does Divorce IMHO

Women are just better able to cope, my theory is we've spent a lifetime putting others first and grief is no exception; women more likely to worry about how the kids fare rather than themselves.

on the plus side, older available men are like hens teeth so you shouldn't expect to be alone for long

See: whoever bought you the most casseroles
It is interesting that you equate the desired outcome of coping with a loss with finding someone to replace that loved one.

I think there is a lot more to grief than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
It is interesting that you equate the desired outcome of coping with a loss with finding someone to replace that loved one.

I think there is a lot more to grief than that.
I am not sure all are looking to "replace" a loved one but some are looking for companionship, conversation, loving, etc.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
yeah, but who wants to get involved with the blue rinsed brigade? only the desperate and the lonely.
I love it. I am 73 and I believe the ideal age of a lady friend would be 45 to 60.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:33 PM

671 posts, read 853,948 times
Well, isn't it usually the woman who is taking care of the man? In an elderly couple, it is very likely that the woman does all of most of the cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. When the woman dies the man has to learn how to do this himself. He may not know how to survive a day without his wife doing things for him.

When the man dies, the woman is lonely and misses him but she can function and perform her own activities of daily living. As long as she is financially secure, her life does not change radically.

I know that this seems like a big oversimplification but it is based on statistics and is also something that I have witnessed with older couples that I know.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:34 PM

671 posts, read 853,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I love it. I am 73 and I believe the ideal age of a lady friend would be 45 to 60.
There are websites for that sort of thing. Make sure that you have the right amount of money to buy the woman that you want.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
There are websites for that sort of thing. Make sure that you have the right amount of money to buy the woman that you want.
You might be quite surprised (or maybe disappointed) at the number of my "older" male friends with younger lady friends and in some cases, she is the one picking up many of the tabs. Granted much depends on one's attitude, behavior, physical ability, etc. and some are much "younger" than others regardless of age.

ADDED

If I was going to "pay for it", she would be much younger......LOL

Last edited by johngolf; 01-10-2016 at 04:29 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 04:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
You might be quite surprised (or maybe disappointed) at the number of my "older" male friends with younger lady friends and in some cases, she is the one picking up many of the tabs. Granted much depends on one's attitude, behavior, physical ability, etc. and some are much "younger" than others regardless of age.
Do tell! I have been told to beware of men who want a "nurse with a purse!"

Old 01-10-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Do tell! I have been told to beware of men who want a "nurse with a purse!"
That is a running joke among my golfing buddies.

What I have seen in several cases is guys hooking up with a lady and when it becomes serious (like moving in together or marriage) and they lay their "cards" on the table, she does not have the "money" to bring to the table she led him to believe and he would be more supporting her. Two of my male friends ended it when they found out. One went ahead with it as he said they are only going to live together, not get married, and he "liked" her.

I have one buddy that did hook up with a gal (his age) that does have quite a bit more money than he does. While they live separately, the gal picks up most of the tabs (like a recent cruise) than he does. Both are happy with the arrangement.

Widow lady friend of my former wife hooked up with a widower (they lived together). When he died (unexpectedly), he left a nice sized trust in her name (fund profits to her) that reverted back to his children when she died. The kids never begrudged her. She used to say her first husband left her comfortable, but the "boyfriend" put the icing on the cake.

Last edited by johngolf; 01-10-2016 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
Very sorry you are struggling. My condolences.

I wouldn't say males have a harder time than women but I hazard a guess that men don't tend to show it as much. Both men and women mourn the loss of intimacy; physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,810 times
Dunno in my personal experiance anyways we guys have a harder time getting over breakups so I guess becoming a widower would be harder too. I don't think it has anything to do with cooking or washing... we can do that too.

I am a Widower but I guess my situation is different. My 2nd wife died unexpectedly 6 weeks after we married. We had known each other well over 20 years. Were on and off for a few years and best friends for many. When I got divorced she had just moved back to San Diego after a contract in Texas ended and was helping my mom out a bit. We talked on the phone alot and when I was on a visit home we said the hell with it let's get married and you can move over to Germany as soon as you can. She had always wanted to live in Europe anyways. I had found a job for her and we were making plans but it never came to be.My last trip to the US was flying over to make the decision to take her off life support. She was 42.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning