Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,276 times

Advertisements

My wife passed on November 22nd last year after 7 years of declining health issues and 58 years of a very happy marriage. This month is the sixth month off her passing. My question is do you think it is okay for me to wear her diamond wedding ring on my right hand? I feel by wearing it she feels close to me. I have no intention of taking my wedding ring off my left hand as it has remained there 24/7 since the day we married.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Thank you,
Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 04:31 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
Whatever makes you feel a little comfort, God Bless You.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob5770 View Post
My wife passed on November 22nd last year after 7 years of declining health issues and 58 years of a very happy marriage. This month is the sixth month off her passing. My question is do you think it is okay for me to wear her diamond wedding ring on my right hand? I feel by wearing it she feels close to me. I have no intention of taking my wedding ring off my left hand as it has remained there 24/7 since the day we married.
Thank you,
Bob
Do what you please. I wear a wedding ban on ceremonial occasions only. Simple reason...my finger rots under any kind of a ring. In about two weeks I would bleed.

On those ceremonial occasions however I wear two wedding bands one on each hand. The one from my present wedding and the one from my first marriage where my spouse died 30 years ago.

So whatever makes you happy.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:22 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
58 years of happy marriage? You don't need nobody's permission for nuttin. Whatever gives you comfort and continuing closeness. Sorry for your loss and congratulations on all those good years.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:31 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I wear my late wife's ring's and my wedding ring on a chain around my neck. I gave the rest of her jewelry to her sister and her daughter, my niece.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:19 PM

24 posts, read 27,310 times
Whatever is comfortable for you. I am not sure when to stop wearing my wedding ring, almost 6 months. My widowed friends say about a year. I sleep with my husbands robe, arm of it across me. Gives me comfort, so I feel what brings you peace and comfort, is okay. I will know when I need to determine when and if to let go of things. I know I will always have the memories.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:09 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Thank you,
Bob
Flat out, no. I like johngolf's solution.

I'm a widow, so I know about the indecision. Left hand, right hand, off? It wasn't too much of a problem for me because I hate to wear jewelry.

Do whatever you want to. You've earned it.

That reminds me of the movie "Saving Private Ryan."

My dad served in WWII. My grandfather was 4-F for WWI because he worked in a coal mine. He was sick to boot and died in his early 30s. Maybe that's why he got a pass. :::shrug::: I'll never know.

Anyway, don't wear it on your finger. It won't look right.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Thank you,
Bob
It is okay to do whatever you want to do and you do not need permission to do whatever it is.
Our sympathies for your loss and we *Mr. CSD and I* hope you are getting along well.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
After 58 years you are to be commended. You own NO One any explanation at all. Do what feels right to you and be happy with YOUR decision. IF that is what brings you comfort go for it. I am sorry for your loss. John Golf offers a suggestion in the event you are worried about the ring being diamonds.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:34 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwannabe View Post
Whatever is comfortable for you. I am not sure when to stop wearing my wedding ring, almost 6 months. My widowed friends say about a year.
I think that, as long as you feel married in your heart, that ring stays right where it is. Six months or a year are artificial time constructs when it comes to such things. I have a friend who suddenly became a widow four years ago. Her ring is still firmly in place, because she knows she's not ready for another relationship at this point.

My grandmother wore hers for 52 years after her husband died. Never remarried, and when I asked why (she was a very handsome woman, self-supporting and in the 40's would have been considered quite a "catch") she said, "I was married to the best man alive; why settle for second-best?"

Don't for a second think you "have" to take your ring off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning