Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 03:44 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends is in hospice. I'm fairly certain that yesterday I received the last text I'll ever get from him. Been looking at it all day trying to will another one to come through.

Now that cellphones and texting are so pervasive, what do people do with old text threads when they lose a loved one? How about the contact? I can't imagine even removing him from my "favorites" list, but I know I have to eventually.

Unfortunately due to his cancer our contact has mostly been through text for almost two years. We spoke almost daily but I would erase my texts every so often (I text a lot for work), so our thread only goes back to early October. I wish I had more.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 05:11 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Last year I lost a cousin to cancer. In many ways he was more like a brother to me when we were kids. My younger sister, my cousin and I were quite the threesome. I was the oldest. He was born 6 months later. My sister 6 months after that.

We lost touch for years as adults. He had some addiction issues. We reconnected a few years ago. I keep our last "luv you cuz" messages. I can't get rid of them.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:32 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,402,902 times
Airborne, that last text/message ( or visit) is always special.

I never delete any messages, text or numbers of my friends that die. I occasionally go back through them and enjoy some memories.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:00 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Just watch with saving texts messages. When my wife and I got new phones a month or so ago, I hadn't ever deleted any of my texts in the few years I had the old phone. When they have to transfer all my data from old to new phones. I had to leave my phones at the phone store for an hour and a half for all those texts to get transferred. So don't save too many texts.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Last year I lost a cousin to cancer. In many ways he was more like a brother to me when we were kids. My younger sister, my cousin and I were quite the threesome. I was the oldest. He was born 6 months later. My sister 6 months after that.

We lost touch for years as adults. He had some addiction issues. We reconnected a few years ago. I keep our last "luv you cuz" messages. I can't get rid of them.
I'm sorry about your cousin. Your story is like mine. I am the oldest of 9, the first brother being 11 years younger than me. My cousin and I have been attached at the hip for better or worse since around 8 years old.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-05-2021, 08:36 PM

169 posts, read 180,004 times
Airborneguy, if you're worried about losing special texts, you can screenshot them and save them to your photo albums. Hopefully photos are backed up somewhere else or saved in the cloud. You could even make a folder in photos for your friend and save text screenshots, pictures, his contact info, and whatever else to make sure it's safe and in a special place.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:35 PM

32,934 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm sorry about your cousin. Your story is like mine. I am the oldest of 9, the first brother being 11 years younger than me. My cousin and I have been attached at the hip for better or worse since around 8 years old.
I keep my mom's number. There were no texts. My sister deleted it about a week after she died. She doesn't like to think about unhappy events. She started doing this after her 16 year old son died after huffing years ago. Decades, and she still can't talk about it.

John Prine. Souvenirs. But I like graveyards and old pawn shops.

Old 11-06-2021, 06:53 AM

273 posts, read 208,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
One of my best friends is in hospice. I'm fairly certain that yesterday I received the last text I'll ever get from him. Been looking at it all day trying to will another one to come through.

Now that cellphones and texting are so pervasive, what do people do with old text threads when they lose a loved one? How about the contact? I can't imagine even removing him from my "favorites" list, but I know I have to eventually.

Unfortunately due to his cancer our contact has mostly been through text for almost two years. We spoke almost daily but I would erase my texts every so often (I text a lot for work), so our thread only goes back to early October. I wish I had more.
This is sad Airborneguy, sorry to hear it. What I do is take a screenshot of my texts and save them to my email. That way if my phone stops working, I still have important texts that mean something to me. You could even print them from email.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
When I changed phones I lost my history of texts and calls with my deceased husband. Oh well. I think they would have just depressed me anyway. His contact information, minus his cell phone number, is still in my phone though.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:28 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,184 times
I use Messages for Web for my laptop – works great.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.messaging

As long as your phone's wifi is on, you can copy text/photos and paste onto Word or Open Office, etc. When I’m home, I much prefer reading and responding on a normal keyboard and large screen, especially ongoing conversations that I need to save.

Last edited by ohmanon; 11-06-2021 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning