Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,085,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
It looks like a good deal to me. If the powder cans have been opened, are you buying this from a guy you can have confidence didn't screw up and pour powder taken from one can back into another? It's an easy mistake to make, many experienced handloaders (me included) insist only one can of powder is on the loading bench at a given time, the rest are all stored under the bench, on a shelf somewhere else, whatever, just not available to dump the contents of the powder measure back into. You can check the powder visually, just pour a powder measure full of it and see that all the grains are the same overall type - log (IMR), flake (Bullseye, Unique, Blue Dot) ball (H380, WW 748).

Looks like you are getting a Lee Loader, a Lee Turret Press, at least one manual, 8 cans of powder, 2 or 3 extra turrets for the press, one additional set of RCBS dies, 4 partial boxes of bullets, and maybe a powder measure. Anything else?

You know if the press is a bit rusty, yeah, it will clean up but it's not worth as much as a new one. Thing I would check is if the dies have any rust inside them.

My guess is if the powder cans are all new and sealed, they are worth say $20 each, so that's half the money right there. If they are not sealed, even if full, more like $10 each. I would check prices on Cabela's and similar websites for what this stuff would be new. Offhand $300 seems a bit steep to me.

Are there any primers in the set?

Yeah, I know, there I was saying go on and spend $450 for a pocket SIG, but hesitating to spend $300 for this grab bag. Reason is, is a SIG is a SIG, while the powder here, if opened, could have been cross-contaminated, and/or it may have been stored in a hot attic, etc. Plus if the dies are rusty inside, up to a point it will polish out, but if there is pitting, if that's deep enough they are essentially ruined.
Come on M3, give me a break....I know noting about reloading...that's why i ask...I do know about pistols and guns in general....

I am also one to buy an off brand gun....(i.e. hi-point....I also own a F.E.G and it will shoot 9mm all day long)

I am going to ask the guy the questions you asked here....because it appears you know....and I appreciate the knowledge you are giving me....I never would have thought about cross-contamination...or being open in an attic...I did know about rust and pitting...but would never have asked that question to this guy.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 04:49 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Well you can just unscrew the lids of the powder containers, if the plastic spout needs to be cut open yet, or the IMR/DuPont powder has a metal disc waiting for you to pry it out of the spout, they are sealed and probably good as new. The cross-contamination accident is an important one. If the powder has been stored in a hot place like an attic, it's probably OK but may have lost some potency.

You can find all this "stuff" on any outdoor store's website, they will have pictures so it's not tough to figure out what's what.

How well do you know this guy? If he offered you some corn whisky he made himself, would you drink it? If you were looking at a used car and found out he was the previous owner, would that make you more likely to buy the car? If not, I wouldn't want to buy an opened can of powder from him either.

Hey, if some guys in Texas had not taught me what's what in reloading back when mammoths were plentiful, I would not know it either.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Well you can just unscrew the lids of the powder containers, if the plastic spout needs to be cut open yet, or the IMR/DuPont powder has a metal disc waiting for you to pry it out of the spout, they are sealed and probably good as new. The cross-contamination accident is an important one. If the powder has been stored in a hot place like an attic, it's probably OK but may have lost some potency.

You can find all this "stuff" on any outdoor store's website, they will have pictures so it's not tough to figure out what's what.

How well do you know this guy? If he offered you some corn whisky he made himself, would you drink it? If you were looking at a used car and found out he was the previous owner, would that make you more likely to buy the car? If not, I wouldn't want to buy an opened can of powder from him either.

Hey, if some guys in Texas had not taught me what's what in reloading back when mammoths were plentiful, I would not know it either.
I don't know him....he is on craigslist....the reason I'm asking questions here....

Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM

I'd definitely ask if the powder has been opened. If you start with a list of what all is there, you can tot up what it's new cost would be, throw in some sort of discount for the stuff being used and maybe a bit more for the fact that you can't inspect it in person...

I prefer to buy this sort of stuff at a gun show. Offhand I would see about $50 in the press, $20 in each sealed can of powder, $10 in each partial box of bullets, or opened can of powder, $20 in the Lee Loader, $40 in the RCBS die set, $30 in each extra turret and dies. There are some items in the picture I can't make out, one shadow sort of looks like it might be a powder measure.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I'd definitely ask if the powder has been opened. If you start with a list of what all is there, you can tot up what it's new cost would be, throw in some sort of discount for the stuff being used and maybe a bit more for the fact that you can't inspect it in person...

I prefer to buy this sort of stuff at a gun show. Offhand I would see about $50 in the press, $20 in each sealed can of powder, $10 in each partial box of bullets, or opened can of powder, $20 in the Lee Loader, $40 in the RCBS die set, $30 in each extra turret and dies. There are some items in the picture I can't make out, one shadow sort of looks like it might be a powder measure.

M3,

The answer from the guy....

NO rust inside, what lil bit you see on outside is just from hands touching them and its not alot. The powders are all sealed and somehave been used there are 3 completely full (unopened) 3 half or more full cans 2 lil less than half. Please feel free to give me a call 205-354-6109. If this stuff was bad i'd throw it away. I bought a bigger loader and I don't need this one anymore. Thought someone who wanted to get into reloading could use this as a starter loader.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 PM

It does beg the question if he's still reloading, why is he selling these powders? Maybe he's for example got heavily into bullseye type formal revolver or .45 ACP shooting and is just loading Bullseye powder on a Dillon. For example. IIRC you want to do 9mm, .40, and .243, right? What caliber are the dies for?

I'm still not seeing $300 worth of trade goods here, myself. Did the guy send you a list of what all is in the "grab bag"?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
It does beg the question if he's still reloading, why is he selling these powders? Maybe he's for example got heavily into bullseye type formal revolver or .45 ACP shooting and is just loading Bullseye powder on a Dillon. For example. IIRC you want to do 9mm, .40, and .243, right? What caliber are the dies for?

I'm still not seeing $300 worth of trade goods here, myself. Did the guy send you a list of what all is in the "grab bag"?
*****It comes with 300 win mag, 357 mag,38 spc,and 9mm reloading dies. I also have several cans of powder, bullets and extra die set ups $300.00 (OBO) serious inq. only *****

From the link itself....

I have a 9mm...that I want to reload for...

But, I want to get a .357 and a .38 for my wife....the .300 I could clean up and sell for $15-$20...MAYBE...

Old 01-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Like I posted before, I am not really seeing $300 worth of stuff here. 300 WM is a fairly popular caliber so you can sell or trade those dies pretty easily. 357/38 are loaded on the same dies, using a .010 spacer washer to move the die that amount to go from .38 to .357. If these are carbide, maybe that makes the whole thing make more sense for $300. I am not certain if it's worth $250. Maybe. If the guy won't post a list of what exactly you get for your money, me, I won't buy from somebody like that. What caliber is the Lee Loader?

You should not have to give the guy the "third degree" to find out what the bill of lading will include.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Like I posted before, I am not really seeing $300 worth of stuff here. 300 WM is a fairly popular caliber so you can sell or trade those dies pretty easily. 357/38 are loaded on the same dies, using a .010 spacer washer to move the die that amount to go from .38 to .357. If these are carbide, maybe that makes the whole thing make more sense for $300. I am not certain if it's worth $250. Maybe. If the guy won't post a list of what exactly you get for your money, me, I won't buy from somebody like that. What caliber is the Lee Loader?

You should not have to give the guy the "third degree" to find out what the bill of lading will include.
Your right....

I'm going to write him again tonight...he has answered back very fast....

But, I'm going to bed as soon as I write him...look for an update tomorrow....

Thanks, M3....really.....

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Hey, no problemo, we shooters have to hang together, lest we surely hang separately!

A lot of people running around anymore have no business sense, weak math skills, and only limited command of English.

FWIW, I do have a Dillon 450, and I do have a Lee Turret. Axle Grease is right of course that the Dillon is a much nicer machine, but, I still use the Lee Turret, if I want to load up say 50 or 100 rounds of one caliber, the Lee is quicker to set up, production rate is less of course. I'm not sure the Dillon is the best choice for a first-timer though - a lot going on. You can of course use the Dillon like it was a turret, and only have one piece of brass in it at a time, but like I said I have both and no intent to get rid of the Lee.

Oddly enough all my presses are either turrets or progressives, including a big old Hollywood Turret - not sure those are even made anymore, or what they are worth. That's not to say I don't like single-stations, just that I don't happen to own one now or have any specific need for one. The Hollywood is strong enough to swage bullets or so I have read, and I'm more into cast bullets anyway, not planning to get into swaging.

I think the total out the door bill for most of this stuff new from Cabelas or similar would not be much over $300, and at that you would get the dies you need with no trade goods, no rust, no open powder containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting