Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,856 times

Advertisements

Jim,

That Aires 410 Night scope I mentioned in post #29 is on sale right now at Midway for around $550. Not too bad for a night vision scope it that is what you are looking for. ATN also makes scopes with lighted reticles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You might do better finding a scope at a gun show. There are a couple of discount dealers in the ads in American Rifleman, Rifle, Handloader, G&A, etc. too.

If you don't want to pay for a Leopold, Burris makes a damn good scope for somewhat less money.

For an "all weather" rifle like this, assuming you can find one, any high-quality 4X fixed power scope, preferably with a rather coarse reticle, would be just fine, and in some ways better than a variable power (less "stuff" to break or get out of adjustment, fewer joints where water can in principle leak in).

Enjoy your Howa, I think you will like it.
Midway is selling the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x for $165 through April. I may have to do it.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Jim,

That Aires 410 Night scope I mentioned in post #29 is on sale right now at Midway for around $550. Not too bad for a night vision scope it that is what you are looking for. ATN also makes scopes with lighted reticles.
It's a funny twist of luck that I came about ownership of the ATN m410 at discount. I originally paid for the ATN 350 ($499) through an "optics" retailer's website with the mutual understanding between seller and purchasor that the item was in stock and ready to ship. I received an email from a member of the sales staff informing me that the 350 was actually on backorder and another shipment was not expected for more than 6 months. They would be happy to refund the money or give me the 410 at the same price. The 410 at the same price seemed like the way to go so I accepted immediately. A few days went by without hearing anything else, so I called the retailer and spoke with a sales manager. He seemed to think that no one would have offered the 410 at the 350 price and requested that I produce proof. I forwarded the email chain to him while we were on the phone. Long silence, then "Okay, I'll ship it today." Implicit in his tone was "and I'm also going to kick someone's arse down the hall."

Also: Sighted in on Saturday afternoon. The resolution through the pinhole in the objective lens cover during the day is not good enough to pick out a 0.2" black line against a white field at 50 yards. I've designed a target specifically for day sighting of this scope that should work, if anyone wants one. Hold the crosshairs dead on the center and walk the impact onto the red circle. Anything with a center-of-objective-lens to center-of-bore distance of 3.5" and a bullet velocity in the 3200 fps range will be pretty close to zeroed at 100 yards. (prints on 11x17)
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...100yd-m410.pdf

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 04-25-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I originally paid for the ATN 350 ($499) through an "optics" retailer's website with the mutual understanding between seller and purchasor that the item was in stock and ready to ship.
It was actually the 390 "paladin".

Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Well, Jim, I'm happy for you! I think you will get a lot more use out of that caliber than you would out of a 338. Speaking of the scope, if that ATN M410 is the Aires 410 Night Vision Scope, you have one of the best on the market today. I just sold an ATN with a 56MM lens and a lit reticle, it was crystal clear, but too darn large for the average rifle. I still have an ATN designed for an AR with a bullet drop comp. Their whole scope line is quality. Have fun with the Howa, keep us updated.
These are overdue. We don't have a scale set up on our gembal rig so I would only be guessing the weight at about 230 lbs. She was quartering towards me at about 50 yards, surrounded by shoats and about four other sows. This is pretty grisly, but she was full of piglets. I would have thought that a pregnant sow in the middle of a terrible Texas drought would be in pretty poor condition, but she actually has a nice layer of white fat and is well muscled - pretty incredible survivors, those pigs.

Love that rifle and the ATN scope may live up there on a full-time basis for a while. My hat is off to Howa for building a fine rifle.

Howa 1500 w/ Hogue Overmould stock???-moto_0247.jpg

Howa 1500 w/ Hogue Overmould stock???-5-5-2011-pig-003.jpg

Howa 1500 w/ Hogue Overmould stock???-moto_0249.jpg

Howa 1500 w/ Hogue Overmould stock???-moto_0250.jpg

Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Well done, I figured this rifle would be a good one for what you want to do.

I guess the moose hunt is next fall?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,856 times
Jim, like I said, I'm happy for you!!! I'm sure you will come to love that Howa.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well done, I figured this rifle would be a good one for what you want to do.

I guess the moose hunt is next fall?
September 2012. I'll either be toting a borrowed .300wm or my .30-06. Not sure which yet.

Quote:
Jim, like I said, I'm happy for you!!! I'm sure you will come to love that Howa.
Already love it. At some point I'm going to have to put some day optics on it and stretch its legs, but my appraisal thus far is that its a great rifle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting