Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I have several European friends visiting, ad they have eagerly asked me about unloading some rounds at a shooting range. They have zero knowledge about guns, so I wonder is there's any problem with it (maybe the range owners won't let them shoot or whatever)
Have them wear depends... Europeans tend to inadvertently soil themselves when around real live guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I've never shot a gun before either (never even saw one until I was in my twenties) but thought if I ever went to America I'd easily be able to go to a firing range and see what all the fuss is about. Shame there seems to be more to it than I thought.
Well, guns are dangerous. And if you're not used to the recoil, then it presents a very dangerous situation where you spray bullets in an uncontrolled fashion. There's a reason why people who have a straight head always say get some training on how to fire them. Serious business.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I have several European friends visiting, ad they have eagerly asked me about unloading some rounds at a shooting range. They have zero knowledge about guns, so I wonder is there's any problem with it (maybe the range owners won't let them shoot or whatever)
My friend's baby sister move to England and married an English man and they visit every other year. Well me and friend took off with his English brother in law to the local gun range. I pulled out the stops, I brung out the 50 Barrett, AKs, ARs and lots of drum magazines That dude was smiling like crazy every time he shot something. When it was over, I gave him a spent 50 BMG as a reminder lol.

Anyhow, it's something I would do as I've mentioned but take the time to go over each firearms and just don't let them run loose unsupervised.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Default Long guns, for f*ck's sake.

I'm not getting into the legalities, but don't start the rookies off on handguns. Get some rifle rounds off first - .22 is plenty exciting for those who've never shot before - and get the basics of range safety in at the same time. Turning a handgun in the wrong direction comes much easier than making the same mistake with a rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Have them wear depends... Europeans tend to inadvertently soil themselves when around real live guns.
Nah, we just don't get hard-ons when handling them. What with a lot of European countries either having mandatory military service or having phased it out recently, I suspect the percentage of European males having received formal firearms training is higher than the corresponding percentage in the US.

A highly unofficial British Army website explains the attitude thusly:

Quote:
Weapon: Metal thing generally viewed as a major embuggerance.

People get upset if you lose it or leave it lying around; if it's dirty; if it goes rusty or if you hold in the wrong way. Overall it is just a drama. Better left in the armoury where it can be well and truly counted.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
My friend's baby sister move to England and married an English man and they visit every other year. Well me and friend took off with his English brother in law to the local gun range. I pulled out the stops, I brung out the 50 Barrett, AKs, ARs and lots of drum magazines That dude was smiling like crazy every time he shot something. When it was over, I gave him a spent 50 BMG as a reminder lol.

Anyhow, it's something I would do as I've mentioned but take the time to go over each firearms and just don't let them run loose unsupervised.
Quote:
I gave him a spent 50 BMG as a reminder lol.
Was he able to take it home to the UK without getting arrested?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 AM

Several years ago my very good UK friend passed through here on a visit so we went to the local gun range at his request (he's an ex-RAF Falklands War veteran).
He was all excited at the prospect of shooting my two big bore handguns, but fired only 6 rounds from the Model 29 before saying, "That's enough of that one."

He loved the Springer GI .45....

Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Was he able to take it home to the UK without getting arrested?
I honestly can't remember if he tried to take it home and what happened. I'll ask him and see.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBE45 View Post
They're called Frenchmen. I give up, I surrender!
The next time you wish to sneer at the French, please remember that if there had been no France and no French troops in our revolution, there wouldn't be a United States today.

There's one difference today between the two countries that few seem to notice. Tell an American that his country stinks: he'll usually hang his head. Tell a Frenchman that France stinks; he'll break your head.

Would the current president of this country join in singing our national anthem? The president of France does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqX5GHZKA_4

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-31-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There's one difference today between the two countries that few seem to notice. Tell an American that his country stinks: he'll usually hang his head.
Sorry, but that's pure hogwash.....unless your talkin' about some Alan Alda yankee type or a Californian.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:39 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There's one difference today between the two countries that few seem to notice. Tell an American that his country stinks: he'll usually hang his head. Tell a Frenchman that France stinks; he'll break your head.
Wot? I must have met some different representatives from those repective nations. Tell an American his country stinks, and you 'll get an enraged earful. Tell a Frenchman his country stinks, and you'll get an enraged earful as well. Now, tell a German his country stinks, and he'll give you an earnest explanation of how that's really an unfair assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting