Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:35 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ahhhh, thanks bulldog, another missive worthy of rememberance! Reps to ya. How soon we who have been shooting for a spell forget how we started. Me pop was an old school type who MADE me concentrate on the fact that the purpose of shooting IS hitting and my formative years, spent in pursuit of that most dangerous of quarry, the NV desert blacktailed jackrabbit, were spent with a ration of 5 rounds, and an expectation of 5 of the vicious beasties bagged. Had I been cut loose with a high cap 10/22 or worse yet an insidious ammo eater like an AR, I would appreciate, far less, the fact that ONE well placed shot is worth an infinite number of misses.

In complete agreement. The ground squirrel population took a nose dive in three counties after my Dad taught me to shoot Grandpa's Remy 22. Much to the excitement of many a local farmer and rancher. Decreasing the ground squirrel and crow population is actually how my two best friends and I secured hunting rights on many local ranches and farms back in our teens. We also use to receive a bounty of 50 cents for each squirrel we brought back dead. Practicing long range sniper tactics with a spotter for the wary squirrels as teens help one of my buddies when he became a Marine Sniper later in life. Crazy how that works out.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 05-22-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:16 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
In complete agreement. The ground squirrel population took a nose dive in three counties after my Dad taught me to shoot Grandpa's Remy 22. Much to the excitement of many a local farmer and rancher. Decreasing the ground squirrel and crow population is actually how my two best friends and I secured hunting rights on many local ranches and farms back in our teens. We also use to receive a bounty of 50 cents for each squirrel we brought back dead. Practicing long range sniper tactics with a spotter for the wary squirrels as teens help one of my buddies when he became a Marine Sniper later in life. Crazy how that works out.
Yep....many a good ol' country boy has gone on to use skills learned afield at home for a higher purpose. Alvin York springs to mind. I spent a Summer ...or two...cullin' yotes off of the spring calves and earned a bit of extra cash as well. Now I have no problem doin' it fer free and am a bit better armed than I was back in the day. A remington 788 .243 and my AR have supplanted my old Springfield 87A yet that old Springy still resides in a place of honor in my safe. My son is currently restoring it actually and will probably pass it on through his own family. So, if'n the King be dead, Long Live the King..............

Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
So, if'n the King be dead, Long Live the King..............
The King did not die, he just went home!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The King did not die, he just went home!
Indeed! His reign be no less glorious even though he chooses not to sit upon a throne.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyoungdos View Post
Was thinking about purchasing a AR-15 and need some input on what you out there will think on this model: M&P15-22 MOE Rifle

Now I know people will say look into your local state laws and guns are bad. I am not looking for your respective opinions. If you don't like guns, don't comment here. Thank you.

Again if you own one, or fairly knowlegdable about AR's please feel free to give me a hand on whether or not this gun will be a waste of my time and money.
Why not just get a Ruger 10-22? The model you're asking about looks like an AR, but that's where the similarity ends.

The 10-22 will be a lot cheaper to play around with and everyone in the world makes aftermarket parts for it. It's the quintessential rimfire for teaching your kids to shoot.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That is a lot of bells and whistles for a .22LR. If you do not already own an M4 platform rifle why not go for the Colt in 5.56 with the integral free flating rail and Mag Pull stock and then get an additional .22LR upper?

Sorry, I just prefer the likes of Colt, Noveske, LaRue, and Bravo Company (BCM) over S&W for the AR-15 and AR-10s. YMMV
Here's what pops into my head when I read this...

YouTube - ‪I like the way you talk‬‏

Old 05-27-2011, 11:24 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
So then a Colt Umarex M4?
No. Go with the Colt LE6940 and then add the .22LR upper later. You can puchase the 6940 for less than you can upgrade rails on a LE6920.

Clyde Armory (http://www.policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_236&products_id=6447 - broken link)

I'm a firm believer with firearms of the adage: buy quality, buy once. The lower quality cheaper ARs eventually encounter quality control problems as a result of being NAC (not a Colt).

Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Quote:
Was thinking about purchasing a AR-15 and need some input on what you out there will think on this model: M&P15-22 MOE Rifle

Now I know people will say look into your local state laws and guns are bad. I am not looking for your respective opinions. If you don't like guns, don't comment here. Thank you.

Again if you own one, or fairly knowlegdable about AR's please feel free to give me a hand on whether or not this gun will be a waste of my time and money.
I'd go Armalite for an AR.

Oh, guns are bad We outlaw guns because we can't outlaw idiots

Old 05-29-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
I'd go Armalite for an AR.

Oh, guns are bad We outlaw guns because we can't outlaw idiots
When one thinks about it, the AR and the 1911 are being made by so many different outfits, it's hard to sift through. Certainly, Armalite is right up there in noteriety, however, just as with Colt, the pricetag reflects the name. I have been running my Bushy/DPMS, GGG/ hybrid against my #1 shootin' buddys Wilson Combat billet built hooo dang gizmo whoopy cryo treated whizbang, aaaaaand, the results have been ...interesting. Both rifles perform IDENTICALLY. And I do mean just that. Calipers have to be brung out to see the difference in group size at all distance, and each type of ammo tested(six diffent factory rounds) performed the same. Right down to the Black hills 68 gr BTHP M keyholing at 600 yards in the lower right corner of the 30x 30 plate. Further ...evaluation is regretably needed here, oh the agony of having to drag these rifles to the range and begining handload work up. Guess what I'm doin' today

Old 05-29-2011, 12:53 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Indeed! His reign be no less glorious even though he chooses not to sit upon a throne.
We are both talking about Elvis right?

I built my AR15 on a stripped lower Armalite. The cost was pretty low, completed I spent about $600 with all the bells and whistles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting