Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Well the guys came up empty.

They will be off to the UP, then to NC.

Nothing here either, though if I didn't need to eat I'd get one. Theres several trees all scarred up where they been climbing near my barrel & it was empty.
So they win again this year as far as the bait barrel goes. But I can still hunt them the old fashioned way till Nov 8th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Good.
I watched some white ibises today in the park. It never came to mind to kill them.
Sick people, I'll tell ya.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Good.
I watched some white ibises today in the park. It never came to mind to kill them.
Not all food comes in a can like Beefaroni roosty. LOL

Old 09-27-2011, 07:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Good.
Then you would enjoy watching them starve to death???

Maybe hit by a car???

Man is a natural part of the food chain.

Have you ever seen a small child after a large animal went though the windshield???

I did not either...it was a closed casket funeral......

Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,683 times
Quote:
Good.

Never killed an ibises either. Not sure what one is. But I'd be willing to bet that as an avid hunter and shooter I generate much more money for conservation than you do & I'd be willing to bet that if those ibises were once endangered money collected thru Pittman - Robertson Pittman-Robertson Act has helped to restore habitat for it.
Yup, I shoot bears, deer, birds, squirrels & anything else I see fit to in season.
In exchange I help ensure that theres wildlife for EVERYONE to enjoy, even birdwatchers & tree huggers.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
The guys got a bear up north this week.

For some reason CD will not let me post the pictures twice.

So if you would like to see the bear in the tree follow this link.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...5-new-dog.html

Page 3.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The guys got a bear up north this week.

For some reason CD will not let me post the pictures twice.

So if you would like to see the bear in the tree follow this link.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...5-new-dog.html

Page 3.
........Hey Driller..................

Been livin' on this 14 acres right on a 40 foot wide feeder stream that goes into the B.R. River (a natural "highway" for the Blacks that roam this area.) Had a 2 yr old (about 180 punds) come across the property yesterday morning. Season opened 9/15, but I'm waiting for the "big boys' to come wondering through in another 4 weeks or so. They usually go into hibernation up the canyon west of me by in early November (weather dependent of course)......their main route coming up from the river bottom land to my east, is right across my place. Been here 33 years and never went a year without seein' at least one good boar. Numbers have increased quite a bit over the last several years. Even with both seasons (spring & Fall) they keep on increasing.

Several years ago I harvested one on the driveway that went 7'3" and live weight of 473 pounds. He's been resting nicely on the Living Room floor ever since. Closest gun handy was an 1886 Winchester in .45/70........boy that 405gr pure lead round nose is really deadly.......this was at about 50 yards.

Wish some luck to your friends.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:30 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I bear hunt, but in Montana it is fair chase only, no baits or scents or electronic calls. Can make it a little difficult to connect with a good bear, but there are a lot of them out there. I have seen 3 in the past couple of weeks.
Lot depends on if the berry crop holds out until the rifle season opens on the 15th.
Archery season opened this weekend, but I don't go looking for bear on purpose just armed with a stick and string. Elk OK, but not something that bites back

In NH you probably have mast crops that might be worth watching. The water sources here can be a ways between so watching the creeks has worked for me in the past.
......Hey SilverTip................ Did you see in the paper and/or on the net that a Black Bear tried to get into The Main Terminal Front doors at the Missoula Airport, about a week ago.....at about 2 in the morning. Watchman just killed the power to the electric doors right before the bear would have made it in. Even then he butted the glass doors a couple of times with his head before being chased off and up a tree 50 feet away.

I called and suggested that the F&G transport him up N/W near the highline......kinda close to an area where 'ole "7" hangs out.......but they declined, sayin':... "good nurses are hard to find".

Any way....................."have a good one".

Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Hey Griz, I did see that. Lots of that kind of stuff in the fall. There are usually bears coming into Bozo and Helena to the apple trees, and some people my folks know on the main Boulder had bear problems. In one case a single bear got into the house, in another, a sow ripped the screen door off and came inside with her 2 cubs.

When you have a lot of bears with people living in the same areas, you get confrontations.
I see a bowhunter had to kill another attacking grizzly in the Gravelies either last week or the week before, (been out bowhunting myself and didn't see the story when it came out, only when I got back and had access to media again).

As dry as it has been, the bears were getting pretty brazen trying to find food to bulk up.
My sister had to lock up her dog food and feed for the hogs because bears were coming in, and she is several miles from their normal range as she is out on the barren prairies

I have found the best way to get rid of a bear problem is to buy a license to take one. You may see them every day until you buy the tag, then they dissapear
I saw several last summer around the cabin, but once I had tag in hand, I spent 2 weeks up there and never saw a sign

Antelope season starts tomorrow, then general season on the 22nd, maybe I will trip over a bear then. Done that before a couple times

And I wouldn't worry about "7". She's tougher than any bear!! A bear would be happy to get away from her. She would probably grab it by the ear and kick it in the butt as she frog marched it down the driveway LOL!!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:14 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Here ya go Driller. Nice Bear!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting