Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:07 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Do people eat the bears? What do they taste like? How do you drag such a heavy animal out through the woods and undergrowth?

The very few times I've seen wild bears they seemed too....well....cute (Not a word I use often, but man they seemed it) to shoot.

Then again I kept my distance...sure theyre not so cute up close.

I ate mine & will eat any more I get. Its different than venison, you need to cook it well like pork. So it works better in roasts, stews, things like that than just tossing a steak on the grill. We made pulled bear meat with some. Ground up we made chilli with it & bear burger helper. The fact is anything thats cute & furry, or ugly & furry is filled with meat.
They, in my limited experience, dont drag easy but can be dealt with easy enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Unhappy I'm saddened! Deeply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I ate mine & will eat any more I get. Its different than venison, you need to cook it well like pork. So it works better in roasts, stews, things like that than just tossing a steak on the grill. We made pulled bear meat with some. Ground up we made chilli with it & bear burger helper. The fact is anything thats cute & furry, or ugly & furry is filled with meat.
They, in my limited experience, dont drag easy but can be dealt with easy enough.
Why.... you... horrid man!

Image Detail for - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/24/article-1021695-027B7F56000004B0-480_233x423_popup.jpg

How COULD you? Eat it, you said? Yetch! They were only meant for cuddling!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
I might get a couple more days in. Hopefully I'll be at camp in Nh on the 6th. Deer opens the 9th so if I get there when I want to I'll have a couple days to look for a bear before deer opens. This is the one I got in 09.
Nice. Is that a .444 you used? I love that caliber for bear hunting.

I used to hunt Bear every year when I lived in Maine, but haven't for years now and I really miss it. Something about watching them move through the trees really gets the blood pumping. Beautiful animals, and a challenge to hunt.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Nice. Is that a .444 you used? I love that caliber for bear hunting.

I used to hunt Bear every year when I lived in Maine, but haven't for years now and I really miss it. Something about watching them move through the trees really gets the blood pumping. Beautiful animals, and a challenge to hunt.

Nope, its a Marlin though but just a 30/30. I have a 444 but havent even shot it yet. Got primed brass & bullets but havent got to it yet. Too many guns or not enough time, not sure which but I pick time, cant have too many guns.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
What I meant is, do they taste like venison? Beef? A combination of meats?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:41 PM

They taste different than anything I can describe really. The meat is deep red & lean, but you need to cook it well so it gets tough. I bet rare its relatively tender. When butchering mine I tossed the fillets in a frying pan with garlick, pepper & oil like it was venison, smelled awesome but ate about like leather. I found the flavor mild but really since most of it I made like a stew or roasts the taste was the spices. That said I'v ate some gamey meat before that nothing could make good. This was definately good. The most important thing, like with any game, is what you do after the shot. This guy was empty & filled with ice 30 minutes after death.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Looks like hubby will not be getting a bear this year.

He passed on a few.

He is wanting something to do a 3/4 or full mount with.

He still enjoys the hunt.

Now, he can get busy filling our freezers with venison.

And we are out of caribou....that does not make momma happy...

Old 11-23-2011, 04:48 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Nope, its a Marlin though but just a 30/30. I have a 444 but havent even shot it yet. Got primed brass & bullets but havent got to it yet. Too many guns or not enough time, not sure which but I pick time, cant have too many guns.
I used to load the 444 and top them off with the Hornady XTP 300 grain bullets for my bear loads. Super accurate, and hits like a truck.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:10 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,705 times
Back in the 80's my uncle took me bear hunting. We stayed in his little cabin overnight. The next morning I woke up to him screaming at the top of his lungs, "OPEN THE DOOR!!!!"
I opened the door he ran in like a streak and leaped out the window all the while yelling, "I got ya a bear. Kill it, and I'll get ya another one!!!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting