Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 05:11 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,423,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am hoping to go polar bear hunting this winter.

Seriously? Thats gotta cost a fortune but it'll be something to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 05:18 PM

I might get a couple more days in. Hopefully I'll be at camp in Nh on the 6th. Deer opens the 9th so if I get there when I want to I'll have a couple days to look for a bear before deer opens. This is the one I got in 09.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,926,507 times
Quote:
I am hoping to go polar bear hunting this winter.
POLAR BEAR HUNTING !!! correct me if i'm wrong but aren't they a protected species ?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:18 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,213,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
POLAR BEAR HUNTING !!! correct me if i'm wrong but aren't they a protected species ?

not if you are going to russia to shoot them, and I am. also, it seems to me that the only place they are endangered is the USA. but if you go north of the artic circle, there are quite a few of them.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:58 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,127,488 times
Quote:
not if you are going to russia to shoot them, and I am. also, it seems to me that the only place they are endangered is the USA. but if you go north of the artic circle, there are quite a few of them.
......Hey monkey..............

sorry to break the bad news, ...but there is "no legal hunting" of Polar Bears this year in Russia.

Better check your sources........

AOL News and the Huffington Post have articles indicating: NO HUNTING of Polar Bears this year........and most likely next year as well.......so says Prime Minister Putin.....

Old 10-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post

I thought you could hunt them right in Canada? Wasn't there a case recently where a guy shot a polar/grizz hybrid thinking it was a polar bear & almost got into trouble? Heres a link to Wiki about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly%E2%80%93polar_bear_hybrid
Heres a link to an outfitter to help bag your polar bear! http://www.polarbearhunting.net/ Look like a great hunt!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I might get a couple more days in. Hopefully I'll be at camp in Nh on the 6th. Deer opens the 9th so if I get there when I want to I'll have a couple days to look for a bear before deer opens. This is the one I got in 09.
Nice!!!!!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,598,372 times
Do people eat the bears? What do they taste like? How do you drag such a heavy animal out through the woods and undergrowth?

The very few times I've seen wild bears they seemed too....well....cute (Not a word I use often, but man they seemed it) to shoot.

Then again I kept my distance...sure theyre not so cute up close.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Do people eat the bears? What do they taste like? How do you drag such a heavy animal out through the woods and undergrowth?

The very few times I've seen wild bears they seemed too....well....cute (Not a word I use often, but man they seemed it) to shoot.

Then again I kept my distance...sure theyre not so cute up close.
Yes, people do eat this meat.

I do not.

My friends that do can it and make stews.

Getting them of of the woods can be a job.

As soon as you can you use a quad.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,127,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Do people eat the bears?........The quality of black bear meat (or Grizzly for that matter) depends to a great degree on what time of the year it is taken and most importantly what it has been eating. Also how quickly the animal was field dressed, cooled down and processed. .......................What do they taste like?...........it all depends on how it has been cooked and seasoned.................... How do you drag such a heavy animal out through the woods and undergrowth?............In most cases the animal is usually skinned .......(so the hunter can end up having a ("rug or?")........on site and some of the desireable cuts of meat are removed at that time....at least that is what we (hunting friends & I) have done...............I have tasted (both Grizzly & Black Bear) ......the Grizzly (Kodiak) was taken in the fall and tasted "terrible"...it had been eating salmon all fall. ........The Black Bear had been eating berries & acorns and we soaked it in a BBQ sauce for 24 hours and then BBQ'd it.............It was OK, but I ate very little..........NOTE: "Trichinosis" can be introduced into the human system by consumption........I have only eaten bear meat twice as stated......IMO, not worth the health risk and "in my opinion" I'd rather take the same processing time, prep time and cooking time and ingredients on something I KNOW will be good.................like an "alphalfa grazing" Whitetail.

The very few times I've seen wild bears they seemed too....well....cute (Not a word I use often, but man they seemed it) to shoot. ......Cute?......"to each his own".....

........(2nd NOTE:">>......An interesting point of information: Twenty years ago when I got my Grizzly on Kodiak, we were informed by the F&G people that the 'gall bladder" out of an adult Grizzly (Kodiak) could bring up to "several thousand dollars" on the "black market" when sold to certain people from the Orient..............
HOWEVER such actions are both a "state & Federal" offense. And illegal trafficking in bear gall bladders (including Black Bear) has recently resulted in fines up to $3000/per gall bladder and (1) year in jail.................Just a little FWIW info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting