Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:47 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times

Advertisements

Needing some advice cause i am living very close to a 9 year old with diagnosed behavioral issues and physical developmental issues that are medicated.This child is being taught to shoot a 22 by a father that has no sense and a mother that states"don't worry--he will not have it near him"---this child is also fascinated by tv crime shows that show the dead victims as they were killed.
My family members were always responsible gun owners----so this is new to me---still looking to get out of this neighborhood--but should i be wooried and extra vigilant---and is my family in danger of being witness to or part of a tragedy?--last year this kid's uncle was jailed for shooting at teens that annoyed him in the next block!
what should i do if anything??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Mind your own business. All normal boys love violent books and films; all normal boys love guns. Learning how to shoot teaches responsibility. Given the amount you claim to know about the family it's apparent that you have been sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

In today's society every parent needs to teach boys and girls how to shoot at the earliest possible age. Additionally, there's no better confidence builder than a gun in one's pocket.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Mind your own business. All normal boys love violent books and films; all normal boys love guns. Learning how to shoot teaches responsibility. Given the amount you claim to know about the family it's apparent that you have been sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

In today's society every parent needs to teach boys and girls how to shoot at the earliest possible age. Additionally, there's no better confidence builder than a gun in one's pocket.

that was a smart ****----answer----if you were brought into the situation by the parents and kid it is not sticking your nose into-----remember what the word assume means----guns for confidence---wow--what does that say about the person that needs the gun for confidence--btw- on topic is gun laws and guns in the hands of a troubled child

Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,752,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
that was a smart ****----answer----if you were brought into the situation by the parents and kid it is not sticking your nose into-----remember what the word assume means----guns for confidence---wow--what does that say about the person that needs the gun for confidence--btw- on topic is gun laws and guns in the hands of a troubled child
More cases than not, it's the kid who his parent "hid" the firearms from who does the damage. They don't know anything about them except for what their friends told them and what they saw on TV. The kid who was actually taught how to shoot safely and is aware of the dangers is going to use one more wisely. So what, the kid is guilty until proven innocent now? It's only a .22 rifle, that's a learning tool for kids just learning how to shoot. If he was in the Scouts or 4H, that's what they would be using too. More less, until you get your window shot out or something...MYOB!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:00 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,952,198 times
I'm not going to be as flip as some of the others, but I would ask what you imagine you would do? This is really up to the parents. From what I am hearing, no one has done anything wrong (except for the uncle)...I have only heard assumptions and associations. Now, if they're shooting in a town where thats not permitted, you would have some recourse.
I say- find out from the authorities if shooting is permitted within your town limits. If not, let them know about whats going on, shooting-wise that is. Otherwise, be vigilant, as always.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
I'm not going to be as flip as some of the others, but I would ask what you imagine you would do? This is really up to the parents. From what I am hearing, no one has done anything wrong (except for the uncle)...I have only heard assumptions and associations. Now, if they're shooting in a town where thats not permitted, you would have some recourse.
I say- find out from the authorities if shooting is permitted within your town limits. If not, let them know about whats going on, shooting-wise that is. Otherwise, be vigilant, as always.

thanks for an answer that was not flippant,and helpful---the concern is that this child is prone to violent behaviors when angry--has threatened to kill his parents when angry(i hear him screaming this from the inside of my own home that is one driveway away)----and i hear from him when he stops by that dad keeps his guns unlocked so i get concerned about everyone's safety-----and for the flippant---i wish i could ignore this but if a tragedy happens here i want to be able to prevent one if i could---i lived most of my life among gun owners but we were more responsible with use and availability

Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,133 times
I believe as long as the person has not been adjudicated as insane or uncontrollable its perfectly legal to teach them to shoot. Whether or not its wise is up to the parents. But a truly violent kid doesnt need a gun. I'd look more at things he's done in reality than in his game choices. Kids say things when theyre mad too, heck even adults say things like "I'll kill him/her if I get my hands on them" etc. Theres a big difference between screaming & killing. I dont know where you live but many states have laws about storing guns with kids in the house. Might look into that.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
thanks for an answer that was not flippant,and helpful---the concern is that this child is prone to violent behaviors when angry--has threatened to kill his parents when angry(i hear him screaming this from the inside of my own home that is one driveway away)----and i hear from him when he stops by that dad keeps his guns unlocked so i get concerned about everyone's safety-----and for the flippant---i wish i could ignore this but if a tragedy happens here i want to be able to prevent one if i could---i lived most of my life among gun owners but we were more responsible with use and availability
I understand your concerns, I really do. There is not much you can do except be very vigilant and protect your home and family. Until the kid does something wrong, all you can do is wait. It's kind of like a neighbor kid who is very irresponsible is getting a drivers license. Nothing anybody can do until he violates the law or has an accident.

On the flip side, shooting a gun could help this kids attitude. It's a very dangerous sport to the untrained, however, it teaches responsibility and self disciplin if done by a decent instructor.

In my house, the guns were never locked up and all were loaded. I had 7 children and from the beginning they were taught not to touch. They never did. My son was on a shooting team and took first in the state and that made him eligible for Internation Finals in Bowling Green Kentucky. I took him there. He placed 16th intenationally. He was 8 years old at the time. My daughters, today, all hunt. One daughter, last year, got a 5x5 Elk and was not happy because that was the smalled elk she's gotten in the last 8 years.

My advice is to "Wait and see" because there is really nothing else you can do, legally, until he has that accident or gets that ticket.''

I wish you luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 AM

thanks for those sensible responses---some of you have helped alleviate my anxiety and concern that i needed to do something--will be vigilant too!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,752,196 times
Quote:
thanks for those sensible responses---some of you have helped alleviate my anxiety and concern that i needed to do something--will be vigilant too!
You just have to sit back and wait for something to happen. He can't be charged for any crimes if they haven't even been committed yet. My bet is he won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting