Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times

Advertisements

The Llamas do have one unique advantage. I remember a few years back the Seattle Times had a policy of accepting no classified ads for handguns. You could place an ad for a used .308 battle rifle but not a .22 Colt Woodsman. Go figure. My state (WA) is one of those where private sales are still legal. No paperwork or background check required, no different than if you sell a used table to someone.

But the Times did have ads for various rural-type pets, including Llamas, goats etc. Once I noticed in the 'pets for sale' section someone snuck in a classified ad for a .45 cal Llama for sale. Times was none the wiser, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 04:00 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
In the end, it's what someone is willing to pay for it....as with everything else.

As long as you like it, it shoots straight and shoots every time....I'd keep it....

Just like I'll have my Hi-Point, people hate them, they will not go up in price, but I can guarantee you that every time I pull the trigger, it WILL go boom....
Respectfully, chuck, those Hi-Points are generally not so very reliable, esp,. when they get about 500 or more rounds through them! They come into my shop, inop, with some regularity, and I will no longer work on them, unless I tell the customer to pick it up off my workbench, place about $750 under it and leave.

When he comes back in one week, there will be a good Springfield Armory XD(M) 9mm or .40 or .45 (his choice!) in it's place, (plus I'll return to him his trade-in Hi-Point. less it's firing pin, in a brown paper bag for easy disposal down at the county Sheriff's office...) plus I'll have made a tidy profit and gained a truly happy customer (because the Springer will not fail! Lots of Hi-Points, on the other hand, remain unfixable and just trash!).

Now... as to that Llama: others here are correct. They were not all that reliable, but if your's is, go ahead and keep shooting it. They were not particularly well made, and certainly didn't appreciate, unless you know of someone you might fool, where you could perhaps sell it as some sort of last-ditch survivalist's go-bag gun...)

Last edited by rifleman; 04-09-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Respectfully, chuck, those Hi-Points are generally not so very reliable, esp,. when they get about 500 or more rounds through them! They come into my shop, inop, with some regularity, and I will no longer work on them, unless I tell the customer to pick it up off my workbench, place about $750 under it and leave.

When he comes back in one week, there will be a good Springfield Armory XD(M) 9mm or .40 or .45 (his choice!) in it's place, (plus I'll return to him his trade-in Hi-Point. less it's firing pin, in a brown paper bag for easy disposal down at the county Sheriff's office...) plus I'll have made a tidy profit and gained a truly happy customer (because the Springer will not fail! Lots of Hi-Points, on the other hand, remain unfixable and just trash!).

Now... as to that Llama: others here are correct. They were not all that reliable, but if your's is, go ahead and keep shooting it. They were not particularly well made, and certainly didn't appreciate, unless you know of someone you might fool, where you could perhaps sell it as some sort of last-ditch survivalist's go-bag gun...)
Well, I would have to ask, that, as a gunsmith, why did you fix any Hi-Point and not tell them to send it back, since they have a life time warranty, no matter if your the 1st or 20th buyer?

Sometimes people don't want or need a $750 pistol. That's just a fact, all pistols have screwed up, even your springfield, to say it has not would not be true, now does Hi-Point have it's problems, sure does, until I found the right ammo, I did, but since then, not a single problem. I have shot 2000-3000 rounds through mine and have not cleaned it, would that springer do that?

To the OP, go ahead and keep it, at least in the family, if it shoots and goes bang everytime, then why not? You don't need a $750 gun to do that, if you have shot it and know the gun, then it will take care of you in time and down the road if ever needed.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,340 times
I had a Llama for a short time and thought it was a low end just an "OK" weapon. However, I recently sold it for $250 because I wanted to reduce the amount of weapons I own.

It was a gift and wouldn't purchase one. It has been given a bad rap on the internet.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, I would have to ask, that, as a gunsmith, why did you fix any Hi-Point and not tell them to send it back, since they have a life time warranty, no matter if your the 1st or 20th buyer?

Sometimes people don't want or need a $750 pistol. That's just a fact, all pistols have screwed up, even your springfield, to say it has not would not be true, now does Hi-Point have it's problems, sure does, until I found the right ammo, I did, but since then, not a single problem. I have shot 2000-3000 rounds through mine and have not cleaned it, would that springer do that?

To the OP, go ahead and keep it, at least in the family, if it shoots and goes bang everytime, then why not? You don't need a $750 gun to do that, if you have shot it and know the gun, then it will take care of you in time and down the road if ever needed.
[Mod cut] I sell the XD(M)s for about $499 in fact, and was only jossin' about the $750 and my "profits!".

And the OP was about a Llama, not a Hi-Point. Keep the Llama, they just eren't collector's pistols, never have been. But they usually shoot quite fine!

There. All straightened up now!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-10-2012 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Discussing mod actions

Old 07-10-2012, 07:04 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
I had forgotten that I once started this thread. I ended up trading my Llama for a Leupold scope that went onto my Remington 700. I think it was a pretty fair trade, plus it freed up enough cash that I would have otherwise spent on the scope, but instead spent on a Sig-Sauer 1911-22. That gun is a fun little shooter.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,197 times
Sounds like a great idea all around!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:26 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Don't say Sig to me right now....I'm a 1911 nut, and have bought 2 of their Ultra Compact 1911's in recent months....along with a pair of their new P938's!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Don't say Sig to me right now....I'm a 1911 nut, and have bought 2 of their Ultra Compact 1911's in recent months....along with a pair of their new P938's!
Money well spent, my friend.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Money well spent, my friend.
True....that's what I told my wife about the other 60+, as well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting