Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times

Advertisements

High School to allow guns in senior pictures. This is a town in my state. In my area, everyone has at least 2 guns in their house....it's just who we are. Kids shoot trap and they hunt. The average kid around here shoots his/her first deer by the time they're 11.

Broken Bow to Allow Guns in Senior Pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 03:25 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
That won't make the "anti's" heads explode. What it will do is give them yet another out of context image to use.

Nothing is won with "in your face" stuff like this.

The rifle or pistol team pics? Sure. Action shots of gun sports that the school has as part of curriculum or extra curriculum activities or even social clubs the kids enjoy? Why not.

Just because someone wants to display a gun in a senior picture? To prove what?

I grew up with guns around. Never saw the need or desire to do the na na na thing.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemies.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:23 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Many people like to claim that guns are not a part of regular society and only weirdos own guns, because they live in a little bubble where they are unaware of their neighbor the deer hunter or their grocer who has her carry permit.

This minor change in policy could help a tiny bit with that perception, if handled in a tasteful manner. If my sport is biathlon, it seems petty to say that I can have skis behind me in my senior portrait, but not a rifle.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Maybe senior portraits have changed. I always thought it was a portrait of the individual, not all their stuff. Aren't there other places in the yearbooks for those other pictures?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
We took "senior pictures" when I was at school and we could use anything we wanted as props. The pictures were taken at a private studio and paid for out-of-pocket. I believe we had the option to either use one of those pictures for the yearbook, or we could go with the standard school-provided photographer with stock backgrounds.

Even though we could use anything we wanted as props, the picture submitted for the yearbook had to meet certain criteria. No drugs, not too much exposed skin, etc. As the yearbook picture was to be a formal/semi-formal picture and our principle was a stickler for such things, I can't see guns being allowed. Not because they were scary, but because they weren't "formal". But these days yearbook pictures are more casual.

Also back then I routinely carried a small pocket knife every day. I used it to cut tape/prewrap for football practice, and once to dig a penny out from the between the keys of a piano. With the teacher's assistance. I even had hunting weapons stored in my vehicle during deer season. Times have changed.

Reading the article, I see this as a good thing. The school board discussed the issue, realized the blanket "zero-tolerance" ban was ridiculous, and lifted it. The picture has to be sports/hunting related (no in-your-face paramilitary gear or gangsta' posing). This can be a way to show gun owners as responsible, non-insane, normal people.

Thanks for sharing this article. My only problem with the post is the hyperbolic "anti's heads to explode" bit.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
High School to allow guns in senior pictures. This is a town in my state. In my area, everyone has at least 2 guns in their house....it's just who we are. Kids shoot trap and they hunt. The average kid around here shoots his/her first deer by the time they're 11.

Broken Bow to Allow Guns in Senior Pictures

Cool! Do they allow grenades too?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM

23,863 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

I grew up with guns around. Never saw the need or desire to do the na na na thing.

You're thinking in adversarial terms, but this is not that kind of situation. Not every photo taken with a gun is about shoving it in the anti-gun folks' faces. Some students want to have a photo taken with something that's important to them. That's all. It's no different than wanting a photo with your dog, or your car, or your stamp collection, if that's your thing. There are no "enemies" with this story - that slant was provided by the OP, not the students.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:43 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,228 times
Quote:
That won't make the "anti's" heads explode. What it will do is give them yet another out of context image to use.

The rifle or pistol team pics? Sure. Action shots of gun sports that the school has as part of curriculum or extra curriculum activities or even social clubs the kids enjoy? Why not.

Agreed. Same to all the people carrying AK's to Kroger.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:51 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,581 times
And there will never be drugged up psycho with a gun shooting up that school!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:

Maybe shooting sports is a big part of the kid's life. Maybe they have as much attachment to hunting or shooting as the city kid has to the their cocker spaniel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting