Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

The way I understand it is that when you go to fill out your application for a CCW, you are fingerprinted and those prints are forwarded to the FBI to be ran through the system. What I want to know is, what happens to those prints after they are run? Are they discarded or are they retained? If they are retained I have to say that I find it very objectionable that someone who hasn't been convicted of so much as a parking ticket should have to give up their prints. I just find it to be quite intrusive and it is one of the main things holding me back from getting my CCW.

So can anyone answer whether or not the FBI retains your prints and enters them into the system when applying for a CCW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Yes, they keep your fingerprints forever and have tried to fingerprint as many people as possible. One of their favorite groups is high school students on class trips. They have done this for wll over a half century.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
I would suspect they retain them, but as I didn't get finger printed for my permit I never looked into it.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
Where I live I was finger printed for my carry conceal permit. Many of the counties in Virginia require it.

On a second note 15 years ago when I started at my company, which is one of the larger banks in the United States, I was finger printed then. One copy stayed with the company, and the other was forwarded to the FBI. The company also required drug testing before being hired.

I guess it is the times we live in. The government wants to know just who you are in case you do something stupid.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
I have never been finger printed for CCW, I live in upper Alabama. The initial paper work I fill out is the size of a post card, then they call you back in 4 weeks to come pick up your permit. Then yearly they do another back ground check, you walk in say you want to renew....snap a picture and walk out with you permit. That is just my county.

Other counties, on initial paperwork, no finger prints and you walk out with your permit.

$20 a year.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I have never been finger printed for CCW, I live in upper Alabama. The initial paper work I fill out is the size of a post card, then they call you back in 4 weeks to come pick up your permit. Then yearly they do another back ground check, you walk in say you want to renew....snap a picture and walk out with you permit. That is just my county.

Other counties, on initial paperwork, no finger prints and you walk out with your permit.

$20 a year.
Ours are renewed every 4 years for $10, no pictures snapped, just drop of the renewal form at the local PD and it's ready in no more than 14 days.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Yes, they will almost certainly keep them. Depending on the state you're in, it's probably done electronically, so even though you see a "card" with your prints, that information is all digitized and stored on a hard drive somewhere.

Agree or disagree with the details of what they're doing, it's been well established that .gov can put "reasonable" restrictions on your Constitutional rights (e.g. can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater). Printing people that want to carry a gun would fall into that category. I don't like it any more than you do, but that's why they can do that, and it's not going to change.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
These days if you apply for a job, they check your credit reports, ask you to pee in a cup for drug test. When go in on a annual physical, the doctor squeezes your balls and stick a finger up your sun-don't-shine, draws your blood to test known diseases. When you go to the DMV, they take your mug shot and your finger prints. When you buy a gun, your LGS or FFL files a background check with the DoJ.

.... and you worry about your finger prints on file with the Government???

Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Live scan in California and yes they keep them. Varies state to state. There are better ways to track or frame you if that is your concern.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
These days if you apply for a job, they check your credit reports, ask you to pee in a cup for drug test. When go in on a annual physical, the doctor squeezes your balls and stick a finger up your sun-don't-shine, draws your blood to test known diseases. When you go to the DMV, they take your mug shot and your finger prints. When you buy a gun, your LGS or FFL files a background check with the DoJ.

.... and you worry about your finger prints on file with the Government???
I've never heard of having fingerprints taken for a driver's licence. I'm 69 years old and have never needed to have my fingerprints taken for any reason.

Why buy a gun from a dealer?

There's a big difference between a credit report or medical exam and finger prints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting