Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,902,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Does that mean he's going to allow Mexico to extradite Eric Holder for supplying the weapons used in the massacre of 16 innocent Mexican teenagers at that Juarez birthday party a couple years ago?
LOL.. now that's a thought. Somebody should also make Holder and his department responsible for the murder of Border Patrol agent Brian Terry in the Fast & Furious debacle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,856,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidicevapor View Post
Which ones do you support? Are there any you are against? Or is there more that you believe he could have done?

TBH, from what i've seen, firearm prices across the board have gone up, and in my opinion AR-15's and related weapons are not likely to come down in price any time soon due to the number that are on back-order. Magazines certainly will not.
I'm not against any of the EOs. I am also for universal background checks on purchases.

I am STRONGLY against any bans or magazine limits on the federal level; I think letting individual states decide that on their own is a better way to deal with it. After all we just have to face the facts; the average resident of New York, Chicago or Los Angles just isn't responsible enough to handle a gun safely.

As for the price increases, they are all about dealers taking advantage of panicky buyers. Once a federal AWB fails they will drop back down overnight.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,162,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
As for the price increases, they are all about dealers taking advantage of panicky buyers. Once a federal AWB fails they will drop back down overnight.
I hope so... What little bit that's available right now is absolutely insanely priced.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,101,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
All those steps Obama suggested do nothing but create bigger and more costly government. The only way to reduce and even eliminate violent crimes, whether guns, knives, baseball bats, or cars are involved, is raise children properly and let them know that there will be punishment for murder, both in this life, and possibly eternal life. Teach them that there is a meaning to one of the Ten Commandments that says: Thou Shall Not Murder, and let them know that there is nothing "cool" about being in a gang or spending time in prison.
I can confirm this works

Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,918,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidicevapor View Post
Can you elaborate on which provisions you think will do the most good to curb gun violence?

I feel the univeral background check proposal is the best and most common sensicle by far. How can anyone be against bakground checks? And the fact that people can buy firearms without background checks at gun shows or at a kitchen table, frankly, undermines the entire concept of the NICS system......

I guess I'm one of the supposed 70% of NRA members that feel this way.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,545,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I feel the univeral background check proposal is the best and most common sensicle by far. How can anyone be against bakground checks? And the fact that people can buy firearms without background checks at gun shows or at a kitchen table, frankly, undermines the entire concept of the NICS system......

I've got guns I paid $25 for. Cheap older guns. I'm not paying $30 to a dealer on top of that (and if it's required, I have no doubt dealers will jack that up many times). No criminals are going to run to a dealer to do a background check on each other.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,373,755 times
Here in Texas when most of us handle a private transaction we only sell to a fellow CHL holder.
That itself is the equivalent to a background check.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 AM

49 posts, read 60,778 times
Quote:

This would require background check when a parent gives a firearm to their child or between family members.

Last edited by liquidicevapor; 01-17-2013 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,127,534 times
Quote:

This is kind of misunderstood. People should be saying private sales because gun shows are not some big curtain of protection. FFL dealers still run background checks at gun shows. it is only private sales at gin shows that do not require checks.

Nomenclature like that is what fuses stupid laws. I know of one state that wanted to completely stop gun shows because of it and the state legislature even argued that "No sales require background checks at gun shows and that is wrong. Only private sales get by.

So, when I want to pass down my old rifle to my son who is a veteran of two tours in Iraq, I ha e to go pay a dealer, their required fee, and have a NCIS check run on him, in order to transfer my 100 year old rifle go him. Or later year on Christmas I would ha e to drag my 14 year old grandson down to a dealer before I give him his first .22 rifle so we can go rabbit hunting.

That's like that idiot I. New York that wants you to be 21 in order to own a rifle. I wonder if he realizes how many soldiers and sailors, that protect his country, are under 21?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,943,835 times
Ironically (and predictably) - the left is now complaining about some of the mental health provisions, and some of the police focus on schools - since it will effect minorities and the poor.

Otherwise, I see nothing drastic here. This is called "the shotgun approach (no pun)" - just try a bunch of useless activities to hope something helps. Most of these can be classified as - enforce the current laws. Since some of them are unenforceable, nothing will improve. The best thing may be this: "Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence." This may seem like a useless committee, but it directs the problem of mass shootings where it belongs - into the medical community as a mental health issue. Actually this has already been done. They just need to enact to change mental health laws (but that will run into political blocks from the left).

So called "assualt Weapons Ban" - will never pass either house of congress. Never. So nothing to worry about there unless Obama want to make it some kind of executive action. Politically unfeasible.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-17-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting