Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your responses everybody. I really love this bow. I have been doing some research online and found out that it is a "Paul Rhodes" custom bow. There is a guy on armslist.com who is selling one (a 53# draw!!!!!!) for over $300.

Since I really was not planning on using it for hunting (unless I HAVE to), I think I will just keep it to see how it goes. I may never be able pull it all the way back, but I can still enjoy it with limitations. WHo knows, if I practice enough, maybe I will be able to pull it all the way back one day.

It's a really nice bow. I don't like the look of compound bows, although, if I were a hunter, I think that is probably the route I would go.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
When I was a youngster...14 I got a compound bow that was 45# draw...I didn't find it all that difficult to pull.

Are compounds easier than the others? I don't know much about them, other than it was fun as heck to shoot.

I wouldn't mind getting another sometime.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Thanks for your responses everybody. I really love this bow. I have been doing some research online and found out that it is a "Paul Rhodes" custom bow. There is a guy on armslist.com who is selling one (a 53# draw!!!!!!) for over $300.

Since I really was not planning on using it for hunting (unless I HAVE to), I think I will just keep it to see how it goes. I may never be able pull it all the way back, but I can still enjoy it with limitations. WHo knows, if I practice enough, maybe I will be able to pull it all the way back one day.

It's a really nice bow. I don't like the look of compound bows, although, if I were a hunter, I think that is probably the route I would go.

20yrsinBranson
Very nice.

Pushups and pullups.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
There is a good reason the crossbow was invented. Only with a lifetime of practice could the longbow men use their weapons.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I do cable pulls in the gym every other day. This duplicates the motion of a bow. My recurve is a 60# and my compounds 70. The way you hunt with them is different and you won't be holding a 60 to your cheek for long. More of a snap shoot.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I do cable pulls in the gym every other day. This duplicates the motion of a bow. My recurve is a 60# and my compounds 70. The way you hunt with them is different and you won't be holding a 60 to your cheek for long. More of a snap shoot.
True, with my recurves I do what is called instictive shooting. I release shortly after coming to full draw. There are no sights on my bows.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Bear in mind when you're drawing the bow, it's not your arm but your back muscles. You also need to practice closer before you can shoot further.

I set up a range at my place. I started at 5 yards, and kept stepping back 5 yards at a time. A compound bow is pretty easy to handle. Mine is all upgraded with everything, break away rest, sights, etc.

I also traded in an LCR for a Crossbow. It's a Parker BlackHawk.

I plan to get a recurve or even a long bow soon.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i love 50 lb.
u shall have no difficulty selling it.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
It's surprising how quickly you can build those muscles up to where a 50 lb bow isn't a problem. The very first bow I ever tried to hunt with as a teen was a 55 lb longbow. The first couple times my success was about like yours, but it only took a few days to build up. Even now, though I shoot a compound (70 lb draw) the first session or two it's a struggle to "break over" but it gets easier pretty quickly.

You might consider another, lighter weight bow just to practice and "exercise" on and build up.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
True, with my recurves I do what is called instictive shooting. I release shortly after coming to full draw. There are no sights on my bows.
we used to use recurves when bowfishing, especially if not going deep. That 'snap shot' doesnt work well on a compound and at times you only have a split second to get a shot off.

I would also recommend building up to the draw the OP has; it's easier on the tendons/muscles to be able to go thru the full motions first at lower weights, than try to push it with the resistance that for now is too much. That also ensures the proper form is used, pointing to the sky to draw a bow wont work in a tree stand lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting