Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,624 times

Advertisements

I bought a Condor Village Parang Machete. It's a big hunk of 3/16" thick, 12" long 1075 steel. Price was a little over $60. It's more of a big knife than a traditional long thin bladed machete. I bought it, mostly for batoning.

I've noticed that the blade has two defects.

(1) The curve of the blade's edge is not perfect, there is a small indent where the curve flattens. It's pretty subtle, but it's there.

(2) The blade is not flat. It curves to one side by about 2mm (12" long blade).

Should I return it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I bought a Condor Village Parang Machete. It's a big hunk of 3/16" thick, 12" long 1075 steel. Price was a little over $60. It's more of a big knife than a traditional long thin bladed machete. I bought it, mostly for batoning.

I've noticed that the blade has two defects.

(1) The curve of the blade's edge is not perfect, there is a small indent where the curve flattens. It's pretty subtle, but it's there.

(2) The blade is not flat. It curves to one side by about 2mm (12" long blade).

Should I return it?
Yes, send it back for a refund since this knife is an inferior brand. Waste of money, really.

For this type if knife buy from Cold steel or Ontario knives.

Cold Steel Knives

OKC | Ontario Knife Company since 1889 | Wholesale Knives | Franklinville, NY
(check out their "Spec Plus" line for outstanding knives at a very reasonable prices. )

Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM

I've read that the quality of the Condor knives can sometimes be hit and miss. However, this particular Parang (when you get a good one) is considered to the best of it's type. In fact they were sold out for months after their release.

It's a whole lotta blade and a very nice sheath for the price. I don't even think Coldsteel or Ontario make a parang machete.

I have a coldsteel throwing knive (1055 carbon steel) that I use for batoning and it's very nice for the price. Just a little short for my application. The sheath is total rubbish though.

I want to either keep this Parang or get a replacement, my question is about acceptable quality of machetes.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:25 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,131,440 times
I'd keep it since I'd just be marring it up with use.

But Since it bothered you enough to post about it, I'd recommend you replace it less it keep bugging you.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I've read that the quality of the Condor knives can sometimes be hit and miss. However, this particular Parang (when you get a good one) is considered to the best of it's type. In fact they were sold out for months after their release.

It's a whole lotta blade and a very nice sheath for the price. I don't even think Coldsteel or Ontario make a parang machete.

I have a coldsteel throwing knive (1055 carbon steel) that I use for batoning and it's very nice for the price. Just a little short for my application. The sheath is total rubbish though.

I want to either keep this Parang or get a replacement, my question is about acceptable quality of machetes.
Like I said, the knife you have is a waste of money and good steel. THAT makes the knife dangerous to use.

Here is a cold steel parang that is a quality blade for little money.

Panga Machete - Cold Steel Knives

Old 05-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Like I said, the knife you have is a waste of money and good steel. THAT makes the knife dangerous to use.

Here is a cold steel parang that is a quality blade for little money.

Panga Machete - Cold Steel Knives
What makes it a wast of money? Lots of praise all over the net for Condor Tool and Knife and this parang in particular. They are made in El Salvador and are a 5mm thick full tang, 12" blade with a riveted hardwood handle.

The cold steel is 2mm thick, made in china, not full tang and has a plastic handle. It's also not a Parang machete

Also I don't see what makes it dangerous to use? It's considerably more stout than the cold steel.

I not trying to be a dick here, but I just don't see your point.

Condor Village Parang Review - YouTube

Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
What makes it a wast of money? Lots of praise all over the net for Condor Tool and Knife and this parang in particular. They are made in El Salvador and are a 5mm thick full tang, 12" blade with a riveted hardwood handle.
Heat treating of the blade steel can be all over the place making the blade either two brittle or to soft which will cause a blade to break in use injuring the user. Unless you have a Rockwell tester there is no way to know if the blade temper is good.

Cold steel blades are heat treated to cold steel standards since they are intended to be used.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Heat treating of the blade steel can be all over the place making the blade either two brittle or to soft which will cause a blade to break in use injuring the user. Unless you have a Rockwell tester there is no way to know if the blade temper is good.

Cold steel blades are heat treated to cold steel standards since they are intended to be used.
I can only guess you're not familiar with Condor and are making the assumption they are junk?

from their web site:

Quote:
BLADES are made from English 420 HC (High Carbon) surgical quality Stainless Steel or German 1075 High Carbon Steel and are heat treated and annealed to about 52-54 Rockwell for the machetes (a measure of hardness) and 56-58 for the knives. Every edge is hand finished and polished to razor sharpness.
If you check out all the survival and knife forums, Condor are consider great bang for your buck blades.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
My thought on knives is the same as for wrenches....the best one is the one you have WITH you when you need it!

Sure I have nice stuff that I keep at home, but I tend to also collect cheaper tools to throw in the car.

Now, there is a point where a tool is so cheap as to be just junk...those I will not collect...what would be the point?

The knife and tool worlds are very similar to each other as there are zealots out there whom swear by their brand.

I don't know anything about that knife in general, but if you like it then send it back for a replacement.

Personally I'm happy with This one:

...And it only cost $12....it's heavy, sharp and does the job. Why would I need to spend any more money?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM

133 posts, read 172,175 times
I second Grandpa's posts....Cold Steel.

Cold Steel Machetes - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting