Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 PM

439 posts, read 958,344 times

Advertisements

Hi...need some assistance please selling my Beretta 9MM PX4 Storm Compact safely. By safely I wish to, in good conscience sell it to a responsible party or dealer that I can be "free" of any registration responsibility. The store I purchased it from does not handle repurchases.

I realize of course to sell it will mean I will not recover my original investment. In addition I have purchased an extra magazine that holds an additional 17 rounds that would go with it.

The gun is hardly used and I have all the original paperwork, box etc. Most recently I had it on consignment at a local gun store however there was no interest. The dealer sells new ones and his followers prefers Glocks.

I am very suspicious of "pawn shops" even though there are several around that seem to do a business and show they purchase firearms.

In closing I also have ammo which the local gun dealer was only gonna give me pennies on the dollar, really? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 02:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
What state do you live? Ive had good luck with armslist, and texasguntrader

Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
I'd give you a crisp, new, $20 bill. Maybe 2 of them. Sounds like a very nice gun, if I were truly in the market for one.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times
take it to a big gun show, I always sell mine easily at gun shows and the dealers usually pay more at the gun show than at a pawn shop, I usually get my asking price.

I wouldnt sell anything to a pawn shop, they want it for free, they are looking for desperate people who need quick cash

Old 07-17-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
What state do you live? Ive had good luck with armslist, and texasguntrader
Virginia...for the state. So did you have to use a dealer to ship gun from your end? That would eat up any profits I suspect.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
take it to a big gun show, I always sell mine easily at gun shows and the dealers usually pay more at the gun show than at a pawn shop, I usually get my asking price.

I wouldnt sell anything to a pawn shop, they want it for free, they are looking for desperate people who need quick cash
Well I am not desperate to play their game. Just did not want to hit up my IRA account to get some extra funds for a trip. I have three other guns..

Old 07-17-2013, 03:51 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,890 times
Most licensed FFL's will either sell on consignment, or just buy it for resale, that eliminates any legal concerns you have, since a resale requires another 4473 and thus paperwork for the new owner.

However you have competing requirements from what you're saying, you want the best price, and "safe" selling. Safest sales are to FFL's but they have expenses to cover which will reflect on the sale price, best value is private, but you have concerns.

Figure out which you need more.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:08 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Try Cabela's, or google for a gun board in your state.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:08 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,859 times
There's nothing wrong with private sales. If you want to get more money for the gun, put up an ad in the local classifieds or on armslist.com.

I see you're in VA so there's no ridiculous registration requirement from what I can remember. If you really don't want to deal with someone sketchy you could just say "I'd like to see your driver's license and/or concealed handgun permit at the time of the meetup."

Old 07-17-2013, 04:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Virginia...for the state. So did you have to use a dealer to ship gun from your end? That would eat up any profits I suspect.
No dealers, I only use it to buy/sell local, cuts out the need for FFL, meet them in parking lot and either buy or sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting