Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:29 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times

Advertisements

[quote=iknowftbll;34423631]^
A funny conversation happened later that night. I told her thanks for getting a box for me and it prompted her to ask what normal prices for this product was before the shortage. I told her depending on where you got it, $19-22. She said, "Then why did we just pay $24 for two boxes?" I laughed and pulled up an internet page where some joker had that same product in stock and listed for $135, and said, "That's why!"[/quote]

i may be somewhat of a newbie but firmly think that last line is part of the issue. I have no problem with those who buy ammo they need and use, i do it so i can hit the range at least monthly (speaking for my own use of .22, and now 9m). But i think we as consumers (and hunters/shooters) could have more effect if we stopped buying from all those reselling above reasonable retails or stores/sites who suddenly jacked prices far more then required to cover their own increased costs.
Yes there are more people buying guns, in theory all those new owners need ammo now as well (just like me, new to the sport 16 months ago). But those increases can be accounted for by manus, what they cant account for are those out chasing every box down for their own gain.
Cut back on the secondary market, and maybe that will allow us to see a few more boxes on the shelf. And even if the "1 box" limit were to remain, at least more of us could get that 1 box we needed. And until that happens, those have a right to sell how they choose, and i have a right to buy as I choose for me.

I could be wrong and no offense to others, just my .02

Old 04-18-2014, 02:37 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Did you not read my opening line?
Yes I did, it questioned what would happen if everyone did it. Everyone isn't doing it, just you.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i may be somewhat of a newbie but firmly think that last line is part of the issue. I have no problem with those who buy ammo they need and use, i do it so i can hit the range at least monthly (speaking for my own use of .22, and now 9m). But i think we as consumers (and hunters/shooters) could have more effect if we stopped buying from all those reselling above reasonable retails or stores/sites who suddenly jacked prices far more then required to cover their own increased costs.
Yes there are more people buying guns, in theory all those new owners need ammo now as well (just like me, new to the sport 16 months ago). But those increases can be accounted for by manus, what they cant account for are those out chasing every box down for their own gain.
Cut back on the secondary market, and maybe that will allow us to see a few more boxes on the shelf. And even if the "1 box" limit were to remain, at least more of us could get that 1 box we needed. And until that happens, those have a right to sell how they choose, and i have a right to buy as I choose for me.

I could be wrong and no offense to others, just my .02
I have no problem with people who buy ammo they need or even if they want a healthy level of a given caliber on hand. Gouging...that is an interesting discussion. I got into a debate with my brother on this subject a while ago. I think it is unethical, though it is certainly not illegal. Clearing the shelves of a store with the explicit intend to mark up prices and resell it for profit is unethical. It is not a free market, it's an artificial market that creates inflated demand.

I do not consider this to be the same thing as someone who happens to have a box of something that someone else needs and is willing to pay above normal market prices. I draw a distinction between this sort of opportunistic selling and hoarding with the intend to gouge.

But the bottom line is this: Something is always worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. If that yahoo online finds a sucker willing to pay $135 for a $24 product good for him. I certainly won't be paying that. And if consumers united against that kind of gouging (won't happen, someone will break ranks) that kind of artificial demand would not exist.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:43 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I have no problem with people who buy ammo they need or even if they want a healthy level of a given caliber on hand. Gouging...that is an interesting discussion. I got into a debate with my brother on this subject a while ago. I think it is unethical, though it is certainly not illegal. Clearing the shelves of a store with the explicit intend to mark up prices and resell it for profit is unethical. It is not a free market, it's an artificial market that creates inflated demand.

I do not consider this to be the same thing as someone who happens to have a box of something that someone else needs and is willing to pay above normal market prices. I draw a distinction between this sort of opportunistic selling and hoarding with the intend to gouge.

But the bottom line is this: Something is always worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. If that yahoo online finds a sucker willing to pay $135 for a $24 product good for him. I certainly won't be paying that. And if consumers united against that kind of gouging (won't happen, someone will break ranks) that kind of artificial demand would not exist.
Price gouging doesn't exist (except for Government entities). It is a complete fiction.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Price gouging doesn't exist (except for Government entities). It is a complete fiction.
That's a matter of opinion. I'll respect yours but I insist you respect mine. Gouging is as real as the keyboard I'm typing on.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That's a matter of opinion. I'll respect yours but I insist you respect mine. Gouging is as real as the keyboard I'm typing on.
It's not a matter of opinion, it's fact.

It is impossible to charge, and get, more than the market determined price of a good. Doesn't matter if it is ammo currently, or bottled water in the wake of a hurricane.

If you believe gouging is real, tell us what you believe gouging to be, and we can talk about it.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It's not a matter of opinion, it's fact.

It is impossible to charge, and get, more than the market determined price of a good. Doesn't matter if it is ammo currently, or bottled water in the wake of a hurricane.

If you believe gouging is real, tell us what you believe gouging to be, and we can talk about it.
Getting market determined price has nothing to do with gouging. Gouging is the suspension of the supply and demand constraints upon a free market so that the market determined price has no relation to supply and demand.

The market determined price is irrelevant in a price gouging situation. Gouging is the reason for the market determined price not its result.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
I swear I read this as "What if everybody just stopped buying em and ems?"

T'would be a sad day, indeed.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 PM

185 posts, read 405,729 times
I see here that some are still having trouble finding .22lr. There is a problem finding American-made .22 in my area too, but most of the gun shops have been stocking Mexican-made Aguila. It seems to average about .12 a round, but it is well worth it, IMO; it is reliable and pretty accurate. With the exception of CCI Mini-Mags, I can't say that about the last few boxes of American manufactured .22 I've shot

Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
there's a lot less stress about ammo "shortages" when you have the means to make your own ammo..

i cant believe how many people have $2-3k in guns and only one or two boxes of factory ammo, coupled with a snobbery about reloaded ammo & "cheap" presses like the lee loadmaster. lee even has a single-stage kit for about $100 that makes really *good* ammo, just not 500 rounds an hour..

I'd rather have a $149 hi-point & components to make 4,000 rounds for it than a Kimber I can't feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting