Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 06:36 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,837,428 times

Advertisements

Am I one of the few that sees the "Hunters" on TV shooting game on skylines, in front of livestock, with houses within gun range behind the game, obscene ranges for the weapon? Impressionable young hunters and novices are watching these shows and will see it is acceptable to do this. How many times will we not see or hear about game/livestock and dwellings catch a bullet? We have houses and livestock shot here in Wyoming almost yearly because of just this.
The one that is the best is the Alligator hunting show on TV, yes I do know there is dense vegetation around the gator in the water, but I see them shooting straight up river. The bouncing bullets hitting a flat surface can go a long ways or into the river vegetation a ways. I guess what ever it takes to make a show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 AM

24,543 posts, read 17,297,674 times
I agree those shows teach poor firearms safety but what really bugs me are the movies that do the same. How many times have we seen a character eject the magazine from an automatic but forget the bullet that is already in the chamber? That is the one bullet that always bites the person cleaning the gun or kills the kid who found the unattended gun and is playing with his friends. Seldom do we see the magazine ejected and the slide pulled open.
Kids and adults see too many movies and play too many video games then think they are experts when it comes to firearms. Ignorance and over confidence can be deadly.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 AM

966 posts, read 1,351,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Ignorance and over confidence can be deadly.
It is called doing a Darwin, not a bad thing as long as they remove themselves from the gene pool

Old 07-12-2014, 07:06 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,374,564 times
Watching a bunch of TV cops "clearing" a building - they bust in through a door and proceed to sweep each other more than the hallways or rooms.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 AM

555 posts, read 804,164 times
Shadowwalker:
Really what these things you've observed demonstrate is just how 'real' Reality TV actually is. I've heard that most of those reality-cop shows that ScoPro mentioned are really on-duty cops chasing off-duty cops who pose as criminals. 99% of police actually do during a normal day probably isn't worth putting on TV.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:11 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
Hmmmm. TV.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:28 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,113,205 times
This probably gets off the topic a bit, because the original post was about hunting shows, and these people are probably actual shooters and hunters, but most of the actors handling firearms in movies are rabid anti-firearms people. Most of the firearms used in movies can not fire, but those used on hunting shows are capable of firing. I suppose it is possible people involved get so wrapped up in doing their scenes correctly that safety is tossed out the window. I see this same carelessness in some gun shops, that may be the reason behind accidents... It is hard to teach older adults, who should know better.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,964,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Watching a bunch of TV cops "clearing" a building - they bust in through a door and proceed to sweep each other more than the hallways or rooms.
I've noticed that mostly happens in older shows like COPS and Hollywood productions. When I watch episodes of COPS from the 80's and 90's, I see a lot of officers with fingers on the trigger and sweeping each other. Law enforcement has come a long way. Of course, the small country towns that provide little training for their people probably still do it, and Hollywood liberals who don't pick up guns other than when acting will always break the rules.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,966,468 times
Any time you start finding yourself getting complacent just Google images "accidental gun shot wounds.". The photos will put your head back in the game.

Takes one split second to lose a hand, foot or life.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,218,390 times
I thought of this thread the other day. I was in someone's house and they were watching a rerun of Walker, Texas Ranger. I saw Chuck Norris use the butt of his gun to break open a padlock, then turn it around and walk in with it pointed in front of him. One would think that he used it as a hammer, with the barrel pointing toward him, with a bullet in the chamber. That can't be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting