Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 PM

46,266 posts, read 27,082,117 times

Advertisements

Love to start reloading, brass only no shot shells....

I searched, but really came up with nothing...

Really don't need anything super hi tech....simple reloading supplies....single press is fine....

Links will be great....to help reloading and to the equipment....

Thanks....all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
We did a thread about this recently, search for "reloading" and you should find it.

Depends on what calibers you want to load, in what quantity, and time. The old orignal Lee loader is still out there and still a good first tool. The Lee comes with everything you need to start loading, although you may want to supplement it with a powder measure and scale or at least a bigger selection of the Lee dippers for powder if you want to try some different loads, particularly for rifle. Plenty of people start with a simple single-station press, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, etc. make these, sometimes you find them used at gun shows or shops.

If what you want is a lot of pistol or revolver ammo, probably you ought to just step up and get a Dillon Square Deal.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
I have not been reloading for going on 15 years or so. I would just pick up where I left off and use my single press. I have a handful of die sets and shell holders, from 9mm, .45, 357, 44, .223, .308. The only one I did not have fun with was the .223 brass. Easy enough to set up and load 500 shells in one night.

Use carbide dies when you can afford them.
It is handy to have a hand held primer press.
A bullet extractor, useful when you have a mischarge in the field.
The best scale you can afford, I might go digital next time. I have a couple of Ohaus triple beams.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,103 times
There are many options for first time reloaders, and just as many opinions about what you should have to start with. One option is to just buy a package deal that includes everything you'll need except the dies and components. This is often a great way to get started in the hobby, but may leave you wanting more rather quickly. Here are a couple links to some starter kits that are available:

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C04J148

Another common opinion on what to buy is that you should buy the best equipment right from the start, so you won't have to replace what you have sometime down the road. This is a good option if finances allow, and if you have someone to instruct you on the intricacies of the equipment. Upper-end equipment is usually a little more difficult to learn because there are many additional features that you don't have to deal with on entry-level equipment.

I basically chose this option for myself, opting for a Dillon RL-550B progressive press, digital scale, and a bit of other equipment. My reason for selecting this option was that I had several friends that were already using this type of press, and at the time, there was a reloading shop close to where I worked that was a Dillon dealer. I figured I could go there to get my questions answered if my friends were unable to help me. Once I started reloading, it didn't seem particularly difficult, especially with the video that Dillon provided with the machine. In fact, I rarely consulted anyone else about reloading, unless it was to ask about a particular formula they were using, or to find out where to buy components. I haven't regretted this decision, though I'm sure I could have gotten by just fine with a less expensive setup.

Here's a link to the Dillon website:
Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

As you can probably guess, there are plenty of other options, too. You can buy everything in a complete kit, or you can opt to buy your equipment one piece at a time. You can start with an entry-level setup, or you can go advanced from the start. The primary considerations are cost, desired features, and potential for frustration due to the complexity of your equipment.

In general, I would recommend a reloading kit, since you can start with everything you need in one package, except for dies and components. Whether you get a starter set, or a more advanced set, will really depend on how much you wish to spend and what features you desire. Many of your feature choices will depend on what you intend to reload. For instance, if you only load for one caliber, you really won't need a quick-change toolhead.

Another point to consider, that I would recommend is that you stick with well known manufacturers. Redding, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Dillon, and RCBS are all well known, and make quality, reliable products. If you have a reloading shop, or someplace like Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, or Sportsman's Warehouse nearby, I suggest you go there and check out their selection of reloading equipment. Usually, you can see for yourself what the equipment looks like, how it operates, and how well it's made.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
There are many options for first time reloaders, and just as many opinions about what you should have to start with. One option is to just buy a package deal that includes everything you'll need except the dies and components. This is often a great way to get started in the hobby, but may leave you wanting more rather quickly. Here are a couple links to some starter kits that are available:

Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C04J148

Another common opinion on what to buy is that you should buy the best equipment right from the start, so you won't have to replace what you have sometime down the road. This is a good option if finances allow, and if you have someone to instruct you on the intricacies of the equipment. Upper-end equipment is usually a little more difficult to learn because there are many additional features that you don't have to deal with on entry-level equipment.

I basically chose this option for myself, opting for a Dillon RL-550B progressive press, digital scale, and a bit of other equipment. My reason for selecting this option was that I had several friends that were already using this type of press, and at the time, there was a reloading shop close to where I worked that was a Dillon dealer. I figured I could go there to get my questions answered if my friends were unable to help me. Once I started reloading, it didn't seem particularly difficult, especially with the video that Dillon provided with the machine. In fact, I rarely consulted anyone else about reloading, unless it was to ask about a particular formula they were using, or to find out where to buy components. I haven't regretted this decision, though I'm sure I could have gotten by just fine with a less expensive setup.

Here's a link to the Dillon website:
Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

As you can probably guess, there are plenty of other options, too. You can buy everything in a complete kit, or you can opt to buy your equipment one piece at a time. You can start with an entry-level setup, or you can go advanced from the start. The primary considerations are cost, desired features, and potential for frustration due to the complexity of your equipment.

In general, I would recommend a reloading kit, since you can start with everything you need in one package, except for dies and components. Whether you get a starter set, or a more advanced set, will really depend on how much you wish to spend and what features you desire. Many of your feature choices will depend on what you intend to reload. For instance, if you only load for one caliber, you really won't need a quick-change toolhead.

Another point to consider, that I would recommend is that you stick with well known manufacturers. Redding, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Dillon, and RCBS are all well known, and make quality, reliable products. If you have a reloading shop, or someplace like Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, or Sportsman's Warehouse nearby, I suggest you go there and check out their selection of reloading equipment. Usually, you can see for yourself what the equipment looks like, how it operates, and how well it's made.
Thank you, very well written...I'll check out the link when i get home.

I don't think I want to go all out yet....I may just start with a all-in-one kit and decide from there...I have a Gander Mountain right down the road....so I'll go check them out, see what they have...

Thanks again..

Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Love to start reloading, brass only no shot shells....

I searched, but really came up with nothing...

Really don't need anything super hi tech....simple reloading supplies....single press is fine....

Links will be great....to help reloading and to the equipment....

Thanks....all....

IMHO you cant go wrong with a kit from Lee Precision.
I started with what they called the anniversary kit. Came with a budget press, scale, primer tool, funnel, manual and a measure for under $100. All I needed was dies & shell holders for the primer tool. If you buy Lee dies they come with a shell holder.
At this point I have an assortment of things from most manufacturers but all my ammo is still made with a Lee press. I did upgrade to a classic cast press, its much sturdier but might not be needed for you. The Challenger that came with the kit was fine for 99% of the things I needed it for.
You can get a kit with the classic cast too now if you want.
The nice thing about Lees kits are theyre cheap enough it doesn't hurt when you figure out what you like & upgrade. Most other makers kits run several hundred bucks. What you need to keep in mind is you WILL develop your setup acording to what you load & your personal preferences. What I'm saying is the kit will be a starting point.
I bought a different scale for example, so I could weigh heavy bullets, Lees only goes to 100 grains, plenty for any powder charge but I needed more because of how my loading developed.

Midway USA is a good place to start looking,
This is very close to what I started with except it doesn't look to have the manual. You'll want a couple manuals anyway. Theyre very informative & moreso when you have several to look at & note differences & possible variations.
Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit - MidwayUSA
Another similar kit, this one comes with the hand primer & a set of shell holders for it.
Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit - MidwayUSA
This is the cast iron press I upgraded to, I use both presses together every time I load. I'm sure theres kits that include it too.
Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock Single Stage Press - MidwayUSA

For comparisons sake this is a RCBS kit, RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA

A Hornady kit, Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit - MidwayUSA

A Lyman kit, Lyman Crusher 2 Single Stage Press Deluxe Expert Kit 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

Some of these have better presses than the Lee kit, but you can buy the Lee cast press AFTER the kit & its still cheaper than any of the others.
Anyway, if its not obvious I recomend Lee for start up.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
The first purchase is a book. Here are two excellent choices.

Amazon.com: The ABC's Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert (9780896896093): Bill Chevalier: Books

Amazon.com: Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition (0011516960498): Books

After learning a bit about handloading, plan to get a good cast iron O press. RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, and others have made fine ones for years. There are many good deals for them on ebay. Always buy carbide dies if available for the cartridges you wish to load. They're available for straight-walled cases only. Lee makes an excellent die to put on factory spec crimp on your loaded cartridges. Decide if you enjoy the game before investing in multi-station setups. Anyhow, it's far easier to make really excellent ammo in a single stage press. When I visited Berger Bullets, a premium bullet maker, I noted that they used a series of RCBS Rockchuckers for their swaging operations.

I purposely used some technical terms. You need to learn what they and others mean before you buy any equipment.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I'm not aware of any line of reloading equipment that is truly junk. You could get the old-school Lee Loader, it's not beautifully machined like some of the other brands, but it's a good quality tool and a real bargain, if someone wants to get their feet wet it's not a bad place to start like I said before. You can buy used equipment and you might occasionally get a scratched die, but even then particularly RCBS is really good to replace or repair a die if you send it back to them, even though a scratched die is almost always the user's fault.

It's also true that I know several guys with Dillons, and not one of them regrets the purchase. You don't see many used Dillons for sale, people like them and want to keep them.

Happy is right, a single-station press is always useful, even if you get a progressive later.

Final thought - how much space do you have to devote to loading? Some loaders are usable even in the hand, or are easily put on a board that can be c-clamped to a temporary work bench, some others like the Dillon really want to be lagged down to a bench, preferably a purpose-made one.

Agree also, a loading manual might be the best first purchase, read up and then go shopping for equipment.

Chuck, you never said what you want to load for and why - different setups are better for different goals.

Final thought - if you can find someone who's an experienced loader, most are glad to share their experience. I would be if you were local. Look out though that you learn from someone who actually knows what they are doing, not someone who is "a legend in their own mind" - although for a beginner, it may be hard to tell the difference.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm not aware of any line of reloading equipment that is truly junk. You could get the old-school Lee Loader, it's not beautifully machined like some of the other brands, but it's a good quality tool and a real bargain, if someone wants to get their feet wet it's not a bad place to start like I said before. You can buy used equipment and you might occasionally get a scratched die, but even then particularly RCBS is really good to replace or repair a die if you send it back to them, even though a scratched die is almost always the user's fault.

It's also true that I know several guys with Dillons, and not one of them regrets the purchase. You don't see many used Dillons for sale, people like them and want to keep them.

Happy is right, a single-station press is always useful, even if you get a progressive later.

Final thought - how much space do you have to devote to loading? Some loaders are usable even in the hand, or are easily put on a board that can be c-clamped to a temporary work bench, some others like the Dillon really want to be lagged down to a bench, preferably a purpose-made one.

Agree also, a loading manual might be the best first purchase, read up and then go shopping for equipment.

Chuck, you never said what you want to load for and why - different setups are better for different goals.

Final thought - if you can find someone who's an experienced loader, most are glad to share their experience. I would be if you were local. Look out though that you learn from someone who actually knows what they are doing, not someone who is "a legend in their own mind" - although for a beginner, it may be hard to tell the difference.
Mitch....I think for now I'm going to go with this

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit - MidwayUSA

I am mainly looking to do 9mm, .40,, and .243. Start off with the 9mm and then see how I like it.....

I really like this....even though it is only for 9mm...

Gander Mountain® > Lee Pro 1000 Reloading Kit 9MM Luger - Firearms > Reloading > Metallic > Presses :

9mm/40 will be for 50/50....play and home defense...

.243 will be for target and maybe down the road for hunting....

I also found this on another forum...

Reloaders Reference Software - Reloaders Guide

^^^Free reloading tables and more...

I have plenty of room in my garage...and can make room in my bedroom...if needed...

Thanks for all the help guys....it's really appreciated...

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The first purchase is a book. Here are two excellent choices.

Amazon.com: The ABC's Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert (9780896896093): Bill Chevalier: Books

Amazon.com: Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition (0011516960498): Books

After learning a bit about handloading, plan to get a good cast iron O press. RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, and others have made fine ones for years. There are many good deals for them on ebay. Always buy carbide dies if available for the cartridges you wish to load. They're available for straight-walled cases only. Lee makes an excellent die to put on factory spec crimp on your loaded cartridges. Decide if you enjoy the game before investing in multi-station setups. Anyhow, it's far easier to make really excellent ammo in a single stage press. When I visited Berger Bullets, a premium bullet maker, I noted that they used a series of RCBS Rockchuckers for their swaging operations.

I purposely used some technical terms. You need to learn what they and others mean before you buy any equipment.
Thanks and I will check them out....

Everything needs to have technical terms.....However, I'm the kind of guy who has a better chance to learn while actually doing it....

That's how I learned the 4754 HP engine (x2) and all the hydraulics, and how to take care of everything else on a CH-47....over 15+ years...reading is great....but hands on is where and how I learn, really learn...after reading of course...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting