Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 03:42 PM

696 posts, read 905,363 times

Advertisements

Where I live there is only one public land hunting area and it is very far away, I live in a semi suburban semi rural area and there are alot closer forests. How can I go about finding areas to hunt? There are alot of private land and alot of land owned by the county and not used for anything but not "designated" for hunting either and I am not sure If I can hunt there. I asked some other hunters and some were downright hostile, not wanting to give away their hunting spot or giving dumb answers like "contact the DEC" which I already have done and they only pointed me to the public spot I already mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
You can hunt on public lands in NYS unless they are designated as "no hunting areas", which would primarily be park lands. County and state forests are generally open to hunting. You can also hunt in some designated areas of state parks.

A lot of private lands are posted to control who/how many hunters use the land. Even if the land is not posted, you should always ask permission. You can look up the owner on the county GIS map, and write a letter to the owner requesting permission to hunt if you can't find a phone number (owners have to sign posted signs, and many include a phone #).

Whether on private or public land, always be safe and considerate hunter. Always leave gates and/or other structures exactly the way you find them unless there's an obvious problem -- like a fence down and cattle wandering in a field where they probably shouldn't be. Carry out whatever you carry in. Don't build semi-permanent deer stands unless you have permission. Scout out the land you're going to be hunting so that you know if there's a house or a road just over that ridge. Park your vehicle in where the landowner says to park it ... and don't block field/logging roads. Stop and chat with the landowner. Be friendly.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:46 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
I am starting to find some of the better places to hunt on my own property. but I have not been here that long yet, I am still considered an outsider by some.

but at least I do not butt into others business.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:23 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Where I live there is only one public land hunting area and it is very far away, I live in a semi suburban semi rural area and there are alot closer forests. How can I go about finding areas to hunt? There are alot of private land and alot of land owned by the county and not used for anything but not "designated" for hunting either and I am not sure If I can hunt there. I asked some other hunters and some were downright hostile, not wanting to give away their hunting spot or giving dumb answers like "contact the DEC" which I already have done and they only pointed me to the public spot I already mentioned.
I'm a pastor of a small country church. I don't own any land in the area, and even live in a church-owned house. My daughter and I shot 8 deer last year on other people's land. Half of them were on the land of a woman in my church. The rest were on land that locals let me hunt on.

Tips? Get to know some locals. Find out where the old guys have coffee and drink coffee with them. Treat them with respect. If they tell you no--respect that. Don't act like they owe it to you. If you have a kid that likes to hunt, that's a great way to get access, too. Everyone likes to be a nice guy and give a kid a place to get started. Afterward, share some of the meat with them, or take them a plate of cookies or brownies to say thanks. Or maybe a beverage of some kind. As a pastor, I'll leave that up to you to decide what.

In addition to that, I took up bow hunting because it's an extra 2 months on the season, and I have a muzzleloader, which gives me the entire month of December -- after the November firearm season. That way, the landowners get their bucks...and I go in later to get mine.

Last tip would be to be happy with does. Be willing to save the bucks for the landowner. Along that line, though...ask the landowner what he wants you to shoot. One landowner surprised me. He liked seeing the herd of 30+ deer in his bean field and he didn't want me to shoot the does...he wants to make sure there is enough for next year. He was happy to let me take a buck.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:48 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
Find friends or co-workers who hunt and find out where.

You may get lucky and find someone who'll let you join them. Or you may have to join a hunting "lease", where you pay membership dues and maybe do volunteer work on the land, such as maintaining roads or blinds.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Be very careful trying to hunt private land. Many States require you have written permission or you can be busted.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Be very careful trying to hunt private land. Many States require you have written permission or you can be busted.

buy the private land and hunt on it then, then no permission slip needed.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
buy the private land and hunt on it then, then no permission slip needed.
I have a problem. My land is in CO and my butt is in CA.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:

I would say it is high time for you to move.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:39 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
There is a solution. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting