Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 11:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Guess what the only state with actual constitutional carry is?

Vermont!

We have open carry in Virginia, but you don't see it a lot, at least in the more developed parts of the state. I don't see it being a problem; people who are up to no good are not going to invite police attention by carrying a weapon in the open.

If I saw someone with a handgun in a holster in Northern Virginia, I would probably assume they're off-duty LE, even though anyone can openly carry, aside from a few restricted types of venue.
There are four states that allow concealed carry (constitutional carry) with no permit required. Wyoming is one of them. We also have open carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 05:01 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
There are four states that allow concealed carry (constitutional carry) with no permit required. Wyoming is one of them. We also have open carry.
Huh. Didn't know that. I was remembering something I read in the latest issue of Texas Monthly; maybe it said Vermont was the first state with it.

I know open carry of long guns is legal in Maine. Not sure about handguns.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:53 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Huh. Didn't know that. I was remembering something I read in the latest issue of Texas Monthly; maybe it said Vermont was the first state with it.

In those four states, it is open carry of firearm . Makes no difference if it is handgun, rifle or shotgun.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:09 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:

VT has had Constitutional carry for as long as they've been in the union...... Never prohibited it.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
It passed the Senate I believe last month and passed the House today. Off the the gov it goes.

Important amendment was adopted to the original bill. It the harassment of CJ Grisham and the viral video that really got this movement going and after watching the video, glad the amendment was added.

Quote:
Sec.
A
AA
CERTAIN INVESTIGATORY STOPS AND INQUIRIES
PROHIBITED. A peace officer may not make an investigatory stop or
other temporary detention to inquire as to whether a person
possesses a handgun license solely because the person is carrying a
partially or wholly visible handgun carried in a shoulder or belt
holster

Old 04-20-2015, 11:43 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
It passed the Senate I believe last month and passed the House today. Off the the gov it goes.

Important amendment was adopted to the original bill. It the harassment of CJ Grisham and the viral video that really got this movement going and after watching the video, glad the amendment was added.
The bill that passed requires a permit, basically connecting open carry to the already existing concealed carry license, but with an amendment like this, doesn't it pretty much take the teeth out of the licensing requirement, setting up a de facto Constitutional Carry system? You could walk down the street open carrying a handgun without a license and LE couldn't do anything about it because they can't ask you if you have a license.
Am I wrong? When exactly can LE inquire as to whether you have a license?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-20-2015 at 11:56 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 12:46 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
I'm kindof amazed Texas doesn't already have open carry, and that now if it does pass, it apparently will be by permit only. My state - Washington - allows open carry without any type of permit, and since we're a "shall issue" state when it comes to concealed pistol licenses, it's easy to get one of those (so long as you aren't excluded by a handful of categories).

Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
If y'all knew how violent Texas was in the decades after the Civil War (Reconstruction, range wars, plus the ongoing 170 year border war with Mexico, race violence, etc.), then you might begin to understand why our state politicians imposed so many oppresive restrictions on totin' fireams.

Most other states didn't go through all that.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
A bit more of the history of Texas gun laws.....

First to ban open carry, Texas could be one of last to OK it - Houston Chronicle

Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
I'm pro 2A and a fan of D.C. v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago. That means I'm a firm believer in the right of every citizen to own firearms as long as they follow the rules of our society (i.e., if you break the law no guns for you).

I'm also a firm believer in the principle that, before you are allowed to operate equipment in public that is a danger to the general public, you must be trained in how to operate it safely. Drive all the cars, tractors, even 18-wheelers you want on on private property. But before you are allowed to pilot a multi-ton projectile down crowded public roadways the State has every right to make you prove proficiency first. This means a test and a license.

Same for a gun. Own all the guns you want; the right for individuals to own firearms is guaranteed until the court cases above are overturned. Shoot them all you want on your own property, or on the property of someone else who gives you permission to shoot there (gun range, friend's field, etc.). But before you are allowed to carry a loaded firearm in public, you should be required to prove you have at least a rudimentary understanding of self defense law and firearm safety. This means a license.

Open carry vs. concealed carry is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting