Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

I have an alarm system and a Glock 17.

We now set the perimeter alarm at night after the house two doors away from us was broken into at 4am. If the alarm goes off and an intruder is not deterred then that is what the Glock is for. I am very comfortable with the Glock and regularly shoot it at the range at greater distances than anything in the house. Importantly, my wife is also comfortable with the Glock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I have an alarm system and a Glock 17.

We now set the perimeter alarm at night after the house two doors away from us was broken into at 4am. If the alarm goes off and an intruder is not deterred then that is what the Glock is for. I am very comfortable with the Glock and regularly shoot it at the range at greater distances than anything in the house. Importantly, my wife is also comfortable with the Glock.
Have you ever done and Force on Force simunition training? I regularly stretch my pistols out to 100 yards, with about 50% of my rounds landing on an IPSC size target at that distance, and at 50 yards 1/3 IPSC targets are no problem (standing still), but during FoF training, my hit ratios went into the toilet, especially at night. It really opened my eyes and was quite stunning. It made me respect the 20-30% hit-ratio officers average during OIS's a LOT! more. In a violent encounter, I'd be VERY pleased with a 30% hit ratio. Before you poo-poo that, here is me shooting pistol while moving. If you're not at or beyond my level (not hard to achieve, I'm not what I'd consider "good" with a pistol. Merely "functional"), 30% would be amazing for you, too! Train train train!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9beSeCvRMlk

Old 08-30-2015, 10:46 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Alarm systems are a good thing to add to a defensive plan. I've always favored the quadrapedic, fur bearing variety, with teeth, personally. I've have a couple very good ones, in my time. One, in particular, was an extremely formidable, first line of defense. He was a coy mix. Pic of him in my profile. He stopped two attempted burglaries, butt cold. Nobody was home, but him, at these times, but that was enough.

I was a lot younger when he was my shadow. My current canine is a Corgie. Not nearly so formidable, in the sense of actually taking on an intruder, but, my needs don't require such ability, anymore. My Combat Corgie is still VERY good at first alert duty. He's a herd dog. A working breed , at heart, and is quite good at detection duty. He's alert, knows his job and will put up quite a ruckus if his perimeter is violated. Whether he's outside or in, nobody is going to get by him, undetected, and hes hard to see as well.

An intruder would have to come through my gate or over the fence, to gain entry. Its highly likely that the shear surprise of him sounding the alarm would send them right back out. Combine all that noise with the motion lights kicking on, a would be intruder would probably think better of trying his luck. A good, first alert option, is as , or more, important than a weapon. More so, IMHO. One needs to know there's a threat, in order to put the means to fight in action, and, a goodly percentage of threats, that have robbery in mind, will beat feet when they have lost the element of surprise. They will, if they have at least a modicum of a functioning brain, feral though it may be.

A good, alert dog is a good thing to have around. It need not be a large, formidable breed. Just a good surveillance critter. I like my Corgie, because he has working instincts (they are bred for herd work), and he has an awesome perimeter feel. At the same time, I know he's not going to dismember the neighbors kid for coming in the yard , after a stray ball. Lol, in such a situation as that, he's as likely to bring the ball to him and ask to play too.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:18 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Have you ever done and Force on Force simunition training? I regularly stretch my pistols out to 100 yards, with about 50% of my rounds landing on an IPSC size target at that distance, and at 50 yards 1/3 IPSC targets are no problem (standing still), but during FoF training, my hit ratios went into the toilet, especially at night. It really opened my eyes and was quite stunning. It made me respect the 20-30% hit-ratio officers average during OIS's a LOT! more. In a violent encounter, I'd be VERY pleased with a 30% hit ratio. Before you poo-poo that, here is me shooting pistol while moving. If you're not at or beyond my level (not hard to achieve, I'm not what I'd consider "good" with a pistol. Merely "functional"), 30% would be amazing for you, too! Train train train!
It is not something I have done but sounds like a good idea Will look into it.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:26 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,679 times
I have an MP15 556 carbine loaded with 223 soft points and an extra mag loaded with 556 penetraters. Also have a Sig P250c 40sw with extra mag.

All I got and know how to use 'em.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
I have an MP15 556 carbine loaded with 223 soft points and an extra mag loaded with 556 penetraters. Also have a Sig P250c 40sw with extra mag.

All I got and know how to use 'em.
What is a "penetrater" and what is it used for?

Old 08-30-2015, 03:22 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,679 times
Those are steel tips or steel cores. Mine is ZQI 556 SS109. Handy for drive by shootings. Penetrates metals.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:36 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
[quote=JWG223;41019533]What is a "penetrater" and what is it used for?[/QUOT
I believe he's referring to M855 ball. Also called Green Tip. It has a steel core. Its meant for going through light armor. I've picked up a lot of it surplus, in links for the M248 SAW. Guys on road block duty use it a lot since it goes through car bodies well. The 62 gr stuff I've used is surprisingly accurate, out of both my 1/9 and 1/7 twist rate barrels. Dime sized groups from my 16" 1/7 at 100 yards are common with 5 shot strings. I usually get one irritating flyer that opens it up to quarter size, but still perfectly acceptable for surplus mil spec stuff.

Anyway, that's what I think he's talking about. I will stand, humbly, corrected , if mistaken.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:37 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
. Of course that assumes that the sound of the first shell racking into the chamber isn't enough to send the perp fleeing in terror back into the night.
Why rack? All of our weapons are racked with on round in chamber

BTW, Top 5 Firearms For Home Defense - USA Carry

Old 08-30-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Those are steel tips or steel cores. Mine is ZQI 556 SS109. Handy for drive by shootings. Penetrates metals.
Oh. Yeah, I've shot up a lot of cars with M855, and you'd be disappointed. It performs very poorly on them. Sure, it punches homogeneous steel very well, but cars are not homogeneous targets. You need something like MK318, RA556B, XM556FBIT3, etc. Or, better yet, 7.62x51, if you want to get into a car.

Anyway, M855 works if you use "P for Plenty", but really, it blows chunks compared to newer alternatives, hence the drive to switch to MK318 and M855A1, and why MK262 got used in the interim, etc. Basically, ALL M855 does well is poke holes in homogeneous plate. Everything else, it kindof sucks at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting