Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 04:54 PM

55 posts, read 52,692 times

Advertisements

No, I am not a felon. I have no criminal record, and a concealed carry license here in Virginia. I am Navy Trained and my lone firearm that I own and carry everywhere is a Smith and Wesson 586 L-Comp revolver, 3" barrel, 7 rounds in .357 mag.

I am just curious.

A convicted felon cannot legally carry (or own or possess) a firearm. However, if he carries one anyway, (And assuming his probation/parole period is over so he is no longer subject to random searches by a probation officer) then the way I see it, there are two possibilities:

1. He carries concealed, and never needs to use it. In which case nobody knows it, and the police are never the wiser.

2. He finds himself in a situation where deadly force is needed. And, if he came out of it alive, then he was successful in using that firearm to defend his life.

Sure, that exposes the fact that he was in unlawful possession of a firearm, but is still SAVED HIS LIFE.

Well, there's a saying that fits this situation perfectly:

"It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
You do not figure in just dumb stupid luck.
You get rear ended in a intersection. As LEO and fire department rescue you, they find a firearm!
I will let you figure out the other scenarios.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:44 PM

498 posts, read 978,087 times
Unless you're pocket carrying in a zipped pocket it's likely that people will see your firearm now and then as you go about your daily routine, like bending down to retie a shoe or reaching up on a shelf at the store or sitting down on a bench in the park. All it takes is a suspicious cop to see it who asks to see your permit and it's over.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:39 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
If someone is a convicted felon and has not been in trouble for many years, it would be better to get their rights restored, than foolishly carry a gun while still a felon. If the neighborhood requires carrying, then move.

So my answer would be NO!!!!!

Old 10-12-2015, 08:20 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Personal safety is only one issue. Even with that in mind, it's better for the convicted felon to give up breaking the law without exception.
His failure to admit that he lost certain priviledges given to law-abiding citizens of this country and adhering to these rules makes me wonder what other laws he is willing to violate once again, and thus return back to being a guest of the state prison system. In other words, if he justifies breaking one law, he can justify breaking more.
Thus it's in the convicted felon's best interest to not carry a weapon.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:25 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
There is a bigger question here of when do you stop whacking someone who has "paid his debt to society." There are a heck of a lot of things that are illegal these days, a heck of a lot of things that are felonies, and we aren't really afraid of a good many of them.

There are many laws in our treatment of people who have supposedly "paid their debt to society" that seem perniciously devised to cause recidivism.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:50 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
If I were in the felons shoes I would probably opt to carry IF I felt I needed to.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:19 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is a bigger question here of when do you stop whacking someone who has "paid his debt to society." There are a heck of a lot of things that are illegal these days, a heck of a lot of things that are felonies, and we aren't really afraid of a good many of them.

There are many laws in our treatment of people who have supposedly "paid their debt to society" that seem perniciously devised to cause recidivism.
Part of their punishment and debt to society is their loss of rights, if they live a clean life for a while, then most states will reinstate their rights, that would be the way to go, not to commit yet another felony by carrying illegally. That is the problem with too many who supposedly are rehabilitated, they continue in their former disrespect for the law and then blame society for their own stupidity.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:07 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Convicted felons aren't usually too caught up in what's best for them...or they wouldn't be felons in the first place!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:13 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Part of their punishment and debt to society is their loss of rights, if they live a clean life for a while, then most states will reinstate their rights, that would be the way to go, not to commit yet another felony by carrying illegally. That is the problem with too many who supposedly are rehabilitated, they continue in their former disrespect for the law and then blame society for their own stupidity.
No, I'm not saying they should carry illegally. I'm not even talking specifically about the right to carry for them. I'm speaking more broadly about a discussion and examination of when a person who had been convicted of a felony (and there are so many things that are felonies) can get his rights back and fully go on with life.

With regard to the specific topic, those persons who carry of course believe that carrying is necessary for safety, so we're talking about relegating ex-felons to second-class personal safety for some period of time. Okay, maybe so. But for how long? And should we make consideration of the type of felony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting