Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:51 AM

676 posts, read 939,748 times

Advertisements

My husband has ammo he has never shot. He has Dementia and I wanted to know if I could sell them or how to dispose of them....Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 06:46 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,009,696 times
You could sell it, or shoot it. It's just fine unless it was stored in a 120+ degree attic or something.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:49 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,438,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
My husband has ammo he has never shot. He has Dementia and I wanted to know if I could sell them or how to dispose of them....Thank you.

Call your local law enforcement agency. They can best tell you how to get rid of them.You may not get any money but at least you know that a legit person will be taking them off your hands.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 AM

15,844 posts, read 20,657,743 times
Would be fairly easy to sell. I'm sure you could even drive up to a local gun store and hand it over.

Asking the police is an option...depending on what state you are in. In one of the bluer states, they may start asking questions you don't want to answer.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,646,761 times
Are you familiar enough with ammo to determine current prices, just run an ad in the paper. You'll sell it all very quickly if you give them a fair discount. Otherwise, you'll probably be stuck selling it to a dealer. Don't give it free to some cop to use or to sell. What you have is legal. Selling it is no different from selling yarn with only one difference. The buyer is supposed to be 18 for rifle or shotgun ammo and 21 for hadgun ammo which includes. 22 rimfire, e.g., .22 long rifle, .22 short, .22 magnum.

If you go to gunbroker.com you can check current prices. If you have enough of any one thing, it may be worth your time to sell it through them.

Don't be in a hurry. As another poster said, it doesn't spoil. I've shot ammo fifty years old with no problems.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:10 AM

Default Ammo

It has always been stored in our house. With guns and gun safety now in the spotlight some people freak when you mention those things. How do I go about quietly selling them ? I don't know anyone that shoots anymore. What about a pawn shop or gun store? Don't want to list them anywhere like swap and sell or that sort of thing. If they are worth any money I sure could use it right now but if we are talking nickel and dimes will just call police dept and get rid of. Thank you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
You could sell it, or shoot it. It's just fine unless it was stored in a 120+ degree attic or something.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,646,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
It has always been stored in our house. With guns and gun safety now in the spotlight some people freak when you mention those things. How do I go about quietly selling them ? I don't know anyone that shoots anymore. What about a pawn shop or gun store? Don't want to list them anywhere like swap and sell or that sort of thing. If they are worth any money I sure could use it right now but if we are talking nickel and dimes will just call police dept and get rid of. Thank you..
Go to a gun store, not a pawn shop. You'll get more because pawn shops generally don't sell much ammo.

If you call the police they may order you to surrender your guns. It has happened countless times.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:44 AM

15,844 posts, read 20,657,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What you have is legal. Selling it is no different from selling yarn with only one difference. The buyer is supposed to be 18 for rifle or shotgun ammo and 21 for hadgun ammo which includes. 22 rimfire, e.g., .22 long rifle, .22 short, .22 magnum.

Depends on the state.

In MA, you also need a license to buy/possess. Having spent casings is technically illegal without a permit.

So, to really answer this question for the OP, need to know what state.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:49 AM

Default Ammo

Kentucky !!!!!!!!
Hillbilly state LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Depends on the state.

In MA, you also need a license to buy/possess. Having spent casings is technically illegal without a permit.

So, to really answer this question for the OP, need to know what state.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,017,588 times
1. Inventory it; quantity, caliber, bullet weight, manufacturer.
2. Take the list to the nearest gun store. As stated, do not go to any pawn shop.
3. If any of it is hand loads instead of factory ammo, you may have a problem selling it to a store. You may have to sell it yourself.
4. Who will get the guns when your husband dies? If any such bequests are in his will, they might want the ammunition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting